LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-20-2001, 10:07 PM   #1
Matt
User

Default Luger original finish question

I've got a byf Luger on the way and am in need of tips to determine if finish is original. Other than the obvious such as pitting, uneven surface and buffed markings, is there anything else I need to look for? I do have an original code 42 to compare it to. Any tips you guys can give me will be appreciated.

Unread 02-21-2001, 12:21 AM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Luger original finish question

One thing that I noticed on a really nice reblue was some very slight pitting around the serial numbers and proofs. This was done, I think, to avoid 'brushing' the edges of the stampings. The rest of the pistol had no apparent pitting anywhere but looking closely at the stampings, one could detect fairly deep blued pits. (Just one thing I once noticed).

Unread 02-21-2001, 06:44 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Matt,

A good restoration is sometimes difficult to determine, but on a "byf" or the later salt blued pistols,look at it under different light sources. Sunlight, incandecent, flourescent, etc. and see if you can notice any odd changes in the bluing. Another thing is the blue wear pattern on the pistol. These seen to be fairly consistant from being held and in/out of the holster. This wear can be faked, but it is difficult to do and make it appear correct. Keep us informed of the pistol when it arrives.

Marvin

Unread 02-22-2001, 10:16 PM   #4
Matt
User

Marvin and Bill,

Thanks for the info. I expect to have the Luger next week. I'll let you know when it arrives.