LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Steinar
User

Default Failure %

How about a little survey?

It could be interesting to know how often our Lugers jams in average.

Commercial Lugers compared to military Lugers, how artillery Lugers function compared to 4" and so on..

If anyone is interested in following up this thread, these are my estimated numbers;

byf 41 - 3% failure
byf 42 - 14% failure
DWM 1918 - 12% failure

navy shooter - 10% failure
(arty shooter - 100% (not working))

Have a nice day!
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Heinz
User

DWM 1915
no "jams" in a couple of hunred rounds.

but, occasioanlly fails to **** on initial chambering of a round. Maybe me doing something wrong.

Has new GT modified MecGar magazine although I have had no problems the time or two I have used the original police furnished Haenel
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Morgan, I shoot 3 Lugers (not at the same time). Each one has their own little quirks, but once the formula is known, they are very reliable!! I would say virtually no failures.

1917 DWM uses a standard WWI Magazine, but only likes Remington ammo. Also works well with a fxo Magazine and Remington ammo.

41 byf uses a fxo Magazine, but only likes Winchester ammo.

My Baby (reworked Bulgarian) uses a reworked after-market Magazine and only likes Winchester ammo. Initially, this pistol failed to **** after nearly every round. When I removed the excess oil from the trigger plate lever and firing pin and breech block, the failures decreased to zero or nearly zero. The Baby does not like Remington ammo!!!

I believe the ammo preference is a function of the cartridge OAL.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

9mm:
1936 S/42 virtually no failures in hundreds of rounds
estimated <0.1%

1917 LP-08 virtually no failures in hundreds of rounds
estimated <0.1%

commercial parts gun virtually no failures in hundreds of rounds
estimated <0.5%

1942 byf no failures when shot
estimated 0%

At the height of activity this represented several hundred rounds per month, circumstances have cut back my shooting.

Magazines used are almost all Mec Gar. I have used extruded Haenel mags without failure, and Triple-K work well but I don't like the reduced capacity. When I started shooting I did a series of magazine tests and virtually all of my original, crimped-steel magazines caused failures.

Winchester white box, S&B, Federal American Eagle, and CCL Blazer are consistently reliable without failure (115gr FMJ).

Remington UMC has consistent operational failures, nearly every round with any combination of gun and magazine. Speer Lawman has a high operational failure rate. All commercial handloads have a high operational failure rate. (115gr. FMJ)

.30 Luger
1900 American Eagle no failures when shot
estimated 0%

Alphabet Commercial many failures to fully cycle when shot
estimated >30%

1941 byf custom 10" rebarrel many failures to fully cycle when shot
estimated >30%

I shoot .30 very seldom (no longer have the Alphabet Commercial and byf). Mec Gar magazines exclusively. The only ammunition reliably available here is Fiocci, and it seems consistently underpowered to operate a modern Luger. It works my shooting-quality 1900AE just fine, but this gun has a relatively weaker flat recoil spring.

It is interesting to note that during my shooting session with the .30 long-barrel byf I opened a new box of Fiocci .30 and suddenly every shot functioned. I have to wonder if they have increased the performance of their cartridges?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,194 Posts

Hi,

1937 S/42, DDR Barrel, 1990's rebuild.
Estimated failure 0%

1913/1928 Dutch KNIL combo.
Estimated failure <10%
Magazine is slightly worn, bullets sometimes 'stick'. Likes 115 gr better than 124 gr.

1917 Arty.
Estimated failure <10%
Took some time to find the right mag for this one, amazingly a DDR 1001 mag works great.

1972 Mauser Parabellum in .30 luger.
Estimated failure <5%
This pistol had to break in after spending 30 years in a box. Fiocchi .30 luger is a bit unreliable, pistol functions perfectly.

Pre-1914 Mauser C/96.
Estimated failure <1%
Ammo was 60 years old, occassional misfire.

All-in-all, if you get the right pistol/mag/ammo combination figured out, they're very reliable. Ammo of choice is 9mm Sellier & Bellot 124 grain for the 9mm pistol. Not much choice in the .30 luger departement, as I can only get Fiocchi. C/96 ammo of choice is the Russian surplus Interarms stuff of the 1960s (black plastic boxes). Smells like crap, corrosive primers so lots of cleaning, but still works fine.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Clyde from Carolina
User

My only shooting experience- so far!- with a P.08 is my friend's 1937 S/42. We shot it last month with a mis-matched magazine( don't recall the magazine ) and white box Winchester ammo.

Fired approximately 50-100 rounds with several of us shooting. No failures of any kind, except the toggle would not lock back on an empty mag.

I was very impressed with the guns accuracy and reliability. That and the overall "neat" factor is the reason I am surfing this site again :-)
Clyde from Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
unspellable
User

I'm not sure this means much given today's ammo is out of spec and we are dealing with old guns, old magazines, possibly out of spec recoil springs, etc.

How ever, I will say that in my youth I had a 1920 commercial in 7.65 that never had a single malfunction in the entire time I owned it over several years. Now the kicker. This wasn't just with factory ball loads, this was with factory ball loads, and handloads using lead semi-wadcutters and full wadcutters as well! The full wadcutters were not seated flush with the case mouth.

I ended up trading it off on a S&W M29 in the days when the M29s were made out of unobtanium. I still have that M29. The trade required some cash at a time when I had very little cash but did have an understanding wife.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Stevie
User

My Frankenstien Mauser 42/42 hardly ever jams. With proper mags, I would say close to 100% reliable.

My DWM has been a jam-o-matic. Worked and worked on it. Finelly have found a combination of Wolff mainspring and FXO mags that have reduced jams to virtually nil.

Had to put a percentage on the jamming for the DWM. High probability at first, works pretty decent now. No jams in a couple hundred shots probably. The Mauser is about as reliable as any 9mm pistol.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
Sieger
User

Default % Failure

Hi:

Porsche Pistole requires regular tuneups:

Without proper springs and magazine, expect your Luger to be a nightmare.

With proper springs, magazine and ammo, expect perfect function.

Light parts that are heavily sprung cause an extra sensitive system.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote