LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
im44mag6
User

Default whats legal?

i don't know if anyone can help me or not. here is the deal. ive never sold a hand gun before an i want to sell my Luger. so i don't know what is legal or what isn't. i have a 1900 AE. in pretty good shape all no. match. bluing is so so, strawing a little better. the grips , i dont think are original. (to good of shape, but who besides you guys knows) if me selling the pistola is ok, id be glad to post pictures then again even if i cant sell it, i would be happy to post pics if anyone would like to see them. i hope im not being a pain. i really am a newbe at this. thx guys
im44mag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Not sure about California laws on the subject, but generally it is fine to sell thru the forum as long as you send it to the address of an FFL or C&R license holder. Keep a signed copy of that license for your records.
IMHO this is THE place to sell your Luger, and we LOVE to see pictures whether it is for sale or not.
Now let's hear from others.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sites like Gunbroker can produce a fair value as the buying base is very broad. And, if sold there, it is legal to ship it by UPS or FedEx to an FFL in another state. Actually I would say that where ever sold, it would be legal if you sent the pistol to an FFL for the transfer.
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum Ralph.

Depends on the state also. Some states require all hand guns to be shipped into the state to an FFL01 not a C&R license.

You can post an add in the forum here with pics and a price in the WTS section.

Good luck.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
cdmech
User

Check with a local FFL before you send the gun anywhere. I know that a California FFL can only legally recieve a gun from another FFL. For example, I have bought guns out of state and the seller had to take the gun to an FFL to ship it to my FFL. This is one of those wonderful California laws that keep us so much safer that the rest of America!
Not sure, but that might somehow affect what you would like to do.
Your local gun shop probably has a consignment counter, that's how I bought my first Luger. Please post some pics, the experts here will give you an honest appraisal.
Welcome!
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cdmech for your post:
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
im44mag6
User

wow, that was a quick response. i belong to the corvette forum an its not so quick. as a matter of fact, the cost of some repairs is the reason im selling the AE. there should be some pictures with this mess. i did say that i was a newbie at this stuff, so i dont want anybody laughing at my pics. well ok, maybe a little giggling. lol anyways if they are not good enough, somebody tell me an ill have some pro pics done. feel free to ask what you need to know an ill try to cover them. if you cant see the sn# its 5432. the rifling looks good. it has the lock back. an the only thing missing when i got the pistol was the leaf spring which after a little hunting i found on ebay. it was an org. item. i dont know about the grips. they look a little to good to me an there are no numbers. no numbers on the clip.
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
im44mag6
User

as soon as some body gives me a price, i believe im going to keep it in the family an sell it in the forum. unless there is some rule that say's i cant. the pictures are in, but i think people might have to go to my profile. i might have screwed it up.
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Ralph,
From your photos it appears that your 1900 AE may have been refinished and the grips are modern reproductions. But it does look nice. One thing looks odd and that is the toggle knob on the left side of the gun (the one that doesn't have the toggle lock on it). It is shown on the photo with the red background and it isn't very clear. Could you post a clearer close up photo of that toggle knob?
Thanks,
Ron
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country
Default pictures

I have no idea of how to view his pictures???
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP Black View Post
I have no idea of how to view his pictures???
Click on his name and then go to view profile you will see the picture album over on the right. Click on it to go to the pics.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
im44mag6
User

ill try an get a close up of that, ron an while we are talking about toggles, on the bottom of the right side, there is a number 1 stamped there. do you know what that means? an if it had been refinished, i wish they had done a better job! lol
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
im44mag6
User

ok guys, i just uploaded some more pics. see what you can do with those. if you need some more, just yell.
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
markbritt
User

PM sent

Mark
markbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
im44mag6
User

hey dave thx for the mess. an putting me on the right lane. the pictures are up, but on my profile. i dont know how i did that. if anyone whats to move'em, go right ahead.lol thx again.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

This is a collectors forum, you are welcome to post the 1900 ON the for sale section and sell it there (although I could not figure out what you meant about keeping it in the family).

Pictures from your album can be LINKED to, or you could post pictures HERE, it is fairly easy, just use the ADD REPLY instead of the Quick Reply.

Here is a direct link to his album: http://forum.lugerforum.com/album.php?albumid=430

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
im44mag6
User

Default whats legal

hi ed; thx for the response an help. ill try an post the pictures where they are easier to see. an as far as family i meant the forum. everybody has been so nice an helpful that someone on the forum should end up with my AE. thx again from still learning
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

After looking carefully at your photos, it appears that you have a very nice early 1900 American Eagle with a Type II thumb safety. American Eagle serial numbering started at around #2000 and ran up to nearly #25000 so you can see it is early production. It shows evidence of over cleaning and cold blue touch up but the metal is smooth with no pitting, contours are still pretty sharp and it hasn't been overbuffed. The additonal photos show that there is no issue with the toggle knob as I had originally thought. The grips are of course reproduction, but overall it is a nice example of an early Luger.
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Ralph, Your pistol's magazine is in serious need of attention. The spring is out of place, kinked and looks like the wrong one to me. Anything stamped on the bottom of the wooden pull?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
im44mag6
User

hi jerry thx for the heads up. who would i see about that? some body in the forum? im going to take a couple more pictures an ill take some closer ones of the clip. as far as i know there are no markings on the wood piece. ill look again.
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
im44mag6
User

thx ron that really helps. i had some higher hopes by looking at some of the past sales. lol i think everybody likes to think their guns are special. you should have seen the look on my face when i thought i might have a tester. you would have thought i had hit the lottery. an then when you find out its not. lol what a rush. up an down. oh well. anyways thx for the assessment.