LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-04-2002, 01:10 AM   #1
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default 1st Luger....Help

Hi, need some help on this,i know absolutely nothing about Lugers. I just purchased a DWM(marked on cocking piece) Luger all matching parts except mag , dated 1911 (on slide behind barrel), serial#84xx, about 75% condition finish,on the front strap(not sure if that's what it is called(area from below trigger guard to mag well)it is marked 19.T.S.3.178. what is the meaning of these markings? what type of mag should it have? it has an aluminum based one with a waffenampt. i picked up this and a P-38 AC42 all matching from a friend of mine for $800 , the story is his father brought them back after the war. Did i get burned?As always an after thought of an impulse purchase....they were going to the pawn shop in the morning so it was now or never.His brother got a Broomhandle mauser ou of the estate, and it is going to be for sale also. i know this is a luger forum but it is Geman , what is it worth? Thanks in advance fo the information. Tim

Unread 02-04-2002, 02:12 AM   #2
The Shadow

Default 1st Luger....Help

Boy!!..........you should have been wearing a mask and carrying that Luger! You stole them!

Congratulations on a great purchase!

The Shadow Knows!

Unread 02-04-2002, 03:07 AM   #3
The Shadow

Default Help

Congratulations!...you stole those guns! They got more than they would ever get at a pawn shop but about half what they would bring in the marketplace..

The Shadow knows!

hehehehehehehehe

Unread 02-04-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Default Re: 1st Luger....Help

Tim,

You did well on this deal and as The Shadow said, you should have been wearing a mask, ha, ha.

Serioisly, this is a great deal you made. The magazines should be a wood bottom type with the serial number and Imperial Acceptance Stamp on the bottom. Finding the original magazine is probably not possible, so you should look for a period, mis-matched wood bottom type. I don't have any books with me, but someone will let you know what unit the stamps represent.

Again, congratulations on your first purchase and enjoy both pistols. You need to go to the P.38 Forum and post the info on the P.38. The link to the Forum is attached.

Marvin

The P.38 Forum
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default P-38 forum

How the devil does one get into the P-38 forum? I have never found any way to get past the title page!!?!

--Dwight

Unread 02-04-2002, 11:34 AM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: P-38 forum

Try this link

P38 Discussion Board
Unread 02-04-2002, 12:49 PM   #7
Herb
User

The letters and numbers on the front grip strap are a unit designation. I can't find that one in my references. What is your friend asking for the Broomhandle?

Unread 02-04-2002, 05:12 PM   #8
Kyrie
User

Hi Tim,

Looks like you have answers on the Luger The Broomhandle is worth somewhere between nothing and about $15,000, depending on which variation it is (there are many C96 variations) and its present condition. If you can get more info on the C96 e-mail me off line and IĆ¢??ll try to narrow down the range of values.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default Re: P-38 forum

Thanks for the link. Lots of familiar names on that forum...

Now if I could just get into the -rest- of the site...

--Dwight

Unread 02-05-2002, 01:16 AM   #10
tom
User

Default Re: 1st Luger..Unit markings

Hi,

In the flurry of congratulatory messages, no one answered your question about the grip markings.

Based on Gortz and Bryan, the markings mean 19th Train Sanitatis Bn, 3rd Company , weapon number 178. This translates to a medevac train that took wounded soldiers from the brigade trains area, the origin of the term, to field hospitals in the rear.

Medical Corps unit marked Lugers are very rare, but do not, for some strange reason, command much money. I had a 99% DWM 1911 Train Battalion piece with matching mag and Exc + unit marked holster that went begging at $800 a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps,

Tom