LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #1
Mark N.

Default WHAT THE MYSTIC ABOUT A LUGER??

Why are they so collectable?? My only assumtion is that when the guns came out, the design was way ahead of its time. After all, they do look like a phaser from Star Trek in a way, dont they?? But on the other hand if you were going into combat tomorrow and had a choice would you want a Luger, P-38 or a 1911? (assuming of course you were in WW2). Personally, I would want a P-38, it simple, rugged and above all, reliable.I guess thats why Im partial to com/block weapons(Makarovs, AK-47's SKS's etc..), there not made for beauty pagents, there made for function and reliability, and there cheap and they do the job very well!!! The Luger is made like a Swiss watch, too complex, the 1911, well you cant hit the side of a barn with it and too big of a piece for me, at least thats my opinion.But yet out of the three guns mentioned, the Luger is the most sought after and most collectable. Sorry, I cant see folks spending over 1000.00 on a 1911. To me there worth about 100.00 if that, no matter what it is, and after all, my God, how many of them were made in comparison to a Luger. Even today, 1911's are 8-900 and up for new ones. As for the WW1 and 2 variants, there outrageous!! Personally, a Luger had no place in combat(as the Germans came to realize later), it was too elegant a piece of machinery for that purpose and too expensive to make!!. I think of the old elegant dueling pistols in a case when I think of a place for a Luger. By far however, the Luger was and is a state of the art piece of workmanship and engineering. Maybe thats what it is.