LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-17-2001, 04:15 PM   #1
Don Leverty

Default Serial No. xx ?????

Hi guys, as a newbie, I've noticed one puzzling thing about some of our correspondence here and some of the Lugers described in ads. A lot of times it appears to me that someone only reveals the first 2 digits of a four-digit serial number. "... 1917 DWM, serial no. 45xx..." I've seen this a lot, and wonder what the reason for it is. Is there a concern about revealing the PRECISE serial number for some reason? Thanks for any enlightenment on this!

Unread 07-17-2001, 05:52 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Serial No. xx ?????

Don,

This is a good question and I will give you my opinion. I belong to the Nationl Automatic Pistol Collectors Association and when I write into the monthly magazine, I always include the full serial number. When on the Internet, I use the "x" for the last 2 number; the reason, I am putting my serial number on a worldwide Forum and I don't want anyone to think this firearm was/is theirs. There have been cases where someone posted the full number and someone else called the Police and reported the pistol as stolen from them. Why they did this, I don't know, maybe to cause that person problems, again I don;t know. If an individual on this Forum is doing research, I would be glad to provide THEM only the full number.

I also thin it is a person thing too. As far as my firearm collection, I have a full address and drivers license number of the party I purchased it from or a copy of their license. I can trace the firearm I purchased to who I purchased it from so I have no fear, but one small problem maker can make someones miserable with legal problems and cost just to prove it is theirs.

Others may have a different opinon and it would be good to hear them.

Marvin

Unread 07-17-2001, 06:07 PM   #3
SteveM
User

Ditto here Marvin.

SteveM

Unread 07-17-2001, 06:28 PM   #4
fgr

Don,

Lugers were produced in blocks of 10,000. They were numbered 01 - 9999, and then the block repeated with the addition of a letter, a-z. This was the military numbering system, and as many guns have the same serial number (ignoring the suffix) the difficulties Marvin refered to are real. Some dealers noted the suffix on the transfer forms, some didn't...some worn guns have suffixes that are so worn as to be easily missed... and one dealer told me that there are a great many lugers registered with the serial number 882. (which is the standard bore dimension stamped on the bottom of the barrel)...

I think you can see how confusion can arise... And as Marvin said, there are some very strange folks out there...

FxxGxxRxx

Unread 07-17-2001, 07:04 PM   #5
Don
User

I get it! Thanks, guys! (Now I'll settle back with XXX Lager, and watch the X-files --no X-rated stuff for me!)

Unread 07-17-2001, 09:05 PM   #6
Bob Spitzer

As a suggestion to ALL members who own any guns. If there comes a time when some evidence must be given pertaining to the serial number, especially if it involveds a Police Dept, be sure the serial number and any suffix letters are absolutely correct!! Many yeara ago I became involved in a real to-do with the local police dept. due to my ommisison of the suffix letter. It had been placed well below the serial number on the face of the frame. It was very close to the trigger guard. All weapons reported stolen have the pertinent information entered into the N.C.I.C., National Information Crime Computer. The info on weapons is not deleted until such time as the weapon is recovered and absoltely identified. The weapon in question was reported to the Baltimore MD., S.P. in 1948. The above incident occurred in 1972. Just a bit of friendly advice....!

Unread 07-17-2001, 11:46 PM   #7
Uncle Mike
User

I have always thought that including a serial No.was defacto gun registration:See "This article is scary" post.It's a shame we have to think that way but give an inch they take the whole mile.

Unread 07-18-2001, 08:40 AM   #8
Roger Seymour

Default What about Three Digits?

Marvin, I think you summed up the situation very nicely. Now, what is your advice for those of us with a two or three digit serial number? Do we go XXX, 1XX, or 15X? By the time we get to the third option, you have a one in nine chance of guessing my complete serial number. Inquiring minds want to know.

Unread 07-18-2001, 08:51 AM   #9
Marvin
User

Default Re: What about Three Digits?

Roger,

What I have done in the situatio you described for a three digit number is us 5xx. This keeps the serail number within 99 units so no one would be able to determine exactly what that number is. If you used 53x, this would have you within 9 numbers of your firearm, so my opinion is stay with 5xx.

Marvin

Unread 07-18-2001, 11:09 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default For those members who have this concern and wish to display a photo

where your serial number would show, but don't have the tools or expertise to keep the whole serial number from showing in the photo, just email the digital photo to me and I will obliterate or disguise the serial number to your specifications and return it to you so you can post it with no worries...

-John