LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
bigblockdodge
New User

Default Inherited a plated Luger - what do I have?

P08 gurus - I inherited a chrome or nickel plated Luger from my father. It came with a holster and two mags. After some quick web research it looks like any collector value is gone due to the plating. This pistol has lots of proof marks on it - can someone tell me about this pistol and the value of it, the holster and mags?

By the way, it's a good shooter and pretty accurate.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

bigblockdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
snipershot1944
User

Oh the humanity of it all. A matching 1940 Banner Eagle L., now a shooter. Formerly a rare Police pistol, worth $3500-$4000. Now maybe a few hundred dollars. Well, that's life I guess.
snipershot1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Gun is worth whatever you can get, but I'd guess around $600-$800. Holster and mags another $300-$400.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Let me throw in my 2 cents...

The wood based magazine is a aftermarket repro, so its only worth around $20-$30

I would say the holster is worth around $200-$250

The luger is worth $600-$800, all depending on if someone wants one like this. It is a very rare variation and thus worth more than just a regular shooter in my opinion.....

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Roy, Before I would put any value on the holster I would have to see it with the top open. If it has been cowboy cut it could be worth 50 bucks.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

BBD:
If you try to sell it and get no buyers, consider Plan B.
The markings seem pretty well unmolested. Another avenue might be to have the gun metal stripped of chrome at the local plating shop, then do a very minimum of metal prep, followed by a trip to the local gun shop for a salt blue job. If you disassemble it the chrome removal would not be too bad, and I'm guessing $50-$75 to blue it if all they have to do is run the parts thru. The correct amount of metal prep work will yield a close-to-original finish.
This would all require a bit of time and investment on you part, but you would end up with a much more marketable gun. It will always be re-finished and there will be no hiding that fact, but at least not chromed.
Since this is a fairly rare gun, if properly re-finished I'm guessing it would bring something north of $1000. It would be an interesting shooter to be sure.
Food for thought.
dju
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Roy, value is relative. Geography has as much to do with sale price as any other factor. Around here (Western New York State), I'm sure you could get $1000+ at any Rochester Gun Show. That's without the accessories, but except to a collector, they're not considered valuable (again, around here).

The plating...Well, to decide whether it is chrome or nickel, hold it next to something you know is chrome - an automobile bumper or a motorcycle fender is good. If it is nickel, it will look 'yellowish' compared to the chrome 'blue'...

Plated Lugers have their own followers...Some think they just look neat. Especially with aftermarket grips of Ivory... There is even a hierarchy of sorts, with nickel reigning...

Unfortunately, plated Lugers usually have the snot buffed out of them to make them shiny. Original issue Lugers have tool marks and sharp edges. Buffing them out is just a crime...

Collectors won't have much interest in your Luger, but the Average Joe will eat it up!

Edit: Just read David's comments on stripping & re-blueing. None of that will restore the edges or the tool marks or sharpen the markings. Exactly the opposite.

If you really want to invest some time & $$$, consider having a professional restore it. Ted Green ["Thor"] here on this site does an excellent job at restoring abused Lugers.

If it is an inheritance, then consider leaving it as is (if it has any value to you personally). It is what it is. Someone thought it looked better plated. If that someone was special to you, then maybe it is better off as it is...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Looking at the side plate I would say it was plated over some pretty bad pitting. Makes me wonder when it was platted? I wouldn't think striping and re-bluing would be a good option. Never know whats underneath?

It is what it is! MTC

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I think this is a prime candidate for Thor's magic!!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
bigblockdodge
New User

This pistol really does not have any sentimental value to me, my Dad bought it from a guy he met in a bar a few years before he died. It does shoot very nicely - pretty accurate and shoots like an extension of your hand as I assume most Lugers do. Not sure if I'll go to the expense of stripping and refinishing.

I may shop it at the next gun show down here (Atlanta Metro) or maybe just keep it as a shooter. Or perhaps a PM to Thor?
Hell, I don't know.

Here are a few more photos including the inside of the holster -thanks for the opinons and info.

Roy

bigblockdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Jim Mac
User

If I found a chromed Luger I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Its still a luger and its different. Jim
Jim Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Curly1
User

You have a nice shiney shooter that I would not have a problem having in my stable also.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ya see? There's a seat for every saddle.
dju
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
rob00000
User

Ok, help me out here as I'm new to lugers. Because it's been buffed & plated & has lost it's collector value why would you guys suggest having Thor restore it? For what? Wouldn't it be money down the drain since the original bluing, etc. is long gone? After Thor restored it would it now be a collectable piece again? I'm confused here.

Last edited by rob00000; 02-02-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: correct what i wrote
rob00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
alanint
User

The trade-off is because it is a rare and desirable luger. Some people feel it would be better served in original, if restored condition rather than plated.
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Ed Mc
User

I'm like Ron on this. I can see where there might be a larger 'market' for the pistol if professionally restored but.....would the selling price even recover the cost of restoration over what the pistol is worth in its present condition? Recently a plated Luger with missing parts sold for over $500 on Auction Arms. Not arguing, just trying to learn learn.
Thanks,
Ed
Ed Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
alanint
User

It depends. If you are restoring it for a quick sale, then...no. But if you are restoring it for the fascinating piece of history that it is and want to keep it for some time, then I think yes.

To true collectors who have a passion for their subject, it is never about money. How many times have you seen a beautiful, restored automobile for sale with a tag line that goes something like this; "$60,000 invested, asking $40,000". It is about keeping the history alive.

Twenty years from now I can see this pistol going for top dollar, described as; "rare, desirable Banner Police in pristine condition. Superb older restoration".

Look at it this way; As a beat up clunker, it is going to be abused its entire life until it dies and is parted out. As a restored firearm it is going to be cherished and cared for, a rare variation for future collectors to enjoy, albeit not entirely original.
That, at least, is my $0.02

Last edited by alanint; 02-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

"Ok, help me out here as I'm new to lugers. Because it's been buffed & plated & has lost it's collector value why would you guys suggest having Thor restore it? For what? Wouldn't it be money down the drain since the original bluing, etc. is long gone? After Thor restored it would it now be a collectable piece again? I'm confused here. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob:
It is a bit of a dilema isn't it? My suggestion is to spend maybe $150 to get it back to blued finish, although refinished. To me the metal is pretty good and not calling out for hours at the hands of a skilled professional restorer. It would just be easier to look at with the correct salt blue finish AND easier to sell. However I am learning (here) that there is a market for plated Lugers, too. Like I said, there's a seat for every saddle.
But these decisions are always controversial, especially when the donor-gun is somewhat rare. A much easier decision on a 1902 carbine than with an Alphabet .30 Commercial Luger.
dju
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Curly1
User

At this point you don't have anything in it so a few hundred or so and you could probably get your money back and then some if you sit on it.

On the other hand if all you want is a shooter then you got a purdy one that cost you nothing.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
Ed Mc
User

Alanit,
Thanks, well thought out post.
Ed
Ed Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ed Mc for your post: