LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Sako5021
New User

Default New to Forum and Lugers, 1912 purhase

Hello all I first post - I have the opportunity to purchase a 1912 DWM Luger, all matching except toggle. I have attached pictures below and hope you could help me determine the value. The seller is heir and does not have extensive knowledge of the gun or Lugers in general, and has not specified a price. I would like to gather adequate data to make a reasonable offer on the pistol and provide the results of my research to the seller as to ensure we are both at the same speed on the purchase.

As for my use of the gun I would love to own a part of history, and have no intention of shooting it. I don't care that its not matching and am impartial to the condition. I just do not want to offer an outrageous low or high offer either way, and want a fair transaction, as does the seller. If it turns out this is out of my price range, I offered to assist the seller in finding an appropriate buyer. Any help would be greatly appreciated so thank you in advance!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sako5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

While the more advanced coolectors will be able to tell you more about the gun, based on this data the figure of $1000 seems to me to be fair to both parties. It needs to come apart to determine if all the 'innards are matching and to be more specific on price.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum.

You didn't profile your location, so it's difficult to do a value estimate for you because these can obtain different prices in different geographies.

If you're in the USA, I can give you a rough estimate.

Luger collectors value pistols in as close to their original factory state as possible. Original finish. All matching.

While there were fewer DWM military Lugers made in 1912 than later during WW-I (and only 10,000 in 1912), I don't think that this impacts the value of a "shooter" grade Luger a great deal. If the toggle is the only non-matching part, it might be possible to match it up someday, but this is difficult.

Shooters range in value from $500 to $1000 or so.

Does the magazine in your gun match the pistol's serial number? That might make it a little more valuable. If it's not a magazine from the correct period (or post war) it would be worth less.

There may be other internal parts that are not matching.

The unit mark is to a machine gun company. Unit marks make Lugers more interesting.

It looks like it's in about 85% finish condition. That is less interesting than one that is more close to original.

So... my guess... $650-$750 or so.

Marc
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Sako5021
New User

Thanks you guys. Yes, Marc, I am in the US. I will find out about the mag serial #'s and post the info.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Sako5021
New User

Marc, magazine in marked 3326 and base plug is wood. Does this help?

Thanks
Pete