LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Kohaku2416
User

Default Need input on Luger

Not sure if this will be the correct area to talk about this Luger given what it is so mods if this isn't in the correct forum feel free to move it.

I just want some input I saw on a Luger today at a local gun show and how much it would be worth.

The gun in question from what I could tell was a 1921 DWM in 9mm with a sear safety which makes me think it's a police Luger, also the gun had the Russian capture marking with the "X" in front of the base plate as well as an import mark on the right side of the gun. The numbers only matched on the barrel and part of the frame, but the side plate and most of the rest of small parts didn't match...and the magazine was a Mec Gar so of course that isn't going to match. I asked the owner who had a few other Lugers for sale on his table if it was a Russian capture and he said it wasn't just an import, I then mentioned the X marking that shows it should be a RC to which he said it could have been before being imported to the states.. in terms of fit and finish..the gun was a little rough but nothing major and the bore was in good shape with no rust or frosting of any kind.

My biggest question is it worth the $895 he was asking? I asked if that was the best he could do to which he responded he could probably take like $25 off the price making it around $870. Depending on what you guys say I might go back to buy it at the next gun show.

sorry no pics of course..Gun shows are funny about that.
Kohaku2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Too expensive. I personally would not spend more than $750 for the best condition RC I could find, which would be ALL or force matched and in really nice, shootable condition.
Keep shopping.
(I don't know what's gotten into gun show dealers lately. I just attended the Ft. Meyers, Florida gun show this weekend and the prices for vintage firearms was nothing short of laughable. I saw perhaps 30 Lugers and did not make offers on any of them since we were so far apart on what I would consider a reasonable value. I got into a snit with one dealer who insisted his Artillery rig was completely original when all the leather accoutriments practicaly had a repro hang tag on them).
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I think you have to balance what you would pay from a seller on GB/GA/etc with shipping & FFL transfer fees against what you would pay face to face...

RGUNS has RC Lugers cheaper than that price, but see above for fees FFL etc...

That said, $870 doesn't seem all that exorbitant a price...In my area anyway...

But if I wanted a reasonably priced Luger, and knowing what little I do now, I'd go with an RGUNS RC Luger...GB would be second choice...Maybe Checkpoint Charlie...

It might be worth the $870 in intangibles, too, if this dealer is close by and you do a fair amount of shooting, buying, trading, etc...Always good to have a friendly dealer around...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: