LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Slick2485
New User

Default 1941 Luger help

Hi I am a new member here with a question about a 41 Luger that I am looking to buy. The seller of the Luger that I am looking to buy is selling it as a ww2 Nazi Luger and is looking for 1100 for the gun. I was wondering if it was worth that much. All the serial numbers do match.

I can not get pictures to load on here as I am doing this from my iPhone but I did make an album online with the pictures that he did send to me. Let me know if this is worth the money or not (I will be able to post the actual pictures once the Internet at home isn't down).

https://picasaweb.google.com/1161016...55565279/Luger

Let me know if you need any more information on anything.
Slick2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

In my opinion, no. The gun looks nicely refinished, (gentle softening of the sharp lines and markings) and it has been rebarreled.
Does the 4" barrel match the rest of the gun so that that could be restored? If not, its a mismatch and worth $600-$700, with maybe an extra $100 for the barrel.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi James, and welcome to the forum.

It is difficult to judge the finish from the photos because they are out of focus and flash was used.

That said, the edges near the frame serial number look buffed to me.

Also, replacement of the original military barrel with the long barrel makes it interesting, but prevents it from being valued as a collectable pistol.

These military Lugers came with 100mm (4 inch) barrels that were numbered to the pistol. I see a 4 inch barrel in one of your pictures. As alanint mentions, if it is the original barrel, you could have the long barrel removed and restore the original barrel to the pistol. If matching and done properly, it could restore interest as a collectable pistol if it really was never refinished, and is in 90%+ finish state.

A nice shooter in good mechanical condition is priced as alanint mentioned above...

Marc
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Knight Diver
User

It is definitely a mismatch. Take a look at the font on the firing pin. The "3" is a different font than the rest of the "3" markings. So is the safety. Is this what is called a "forced match"? Also, it looks refinished to me. But I'm far from knowledgeable on Lugers. Just have learned from the experts here.
Knight Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
alanint
User

Different fonts in WW2 era Mauser guns are not a deal breaker. There are many examples of proven original guns where the fonts don't quite match up.
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Knight Diver
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Different fonts in WW2 era Mauser guns are not a deal breaker. There are many examples of proven original guns where the fonts don't quite match up.
Would it make it more likely original or more likely mismatched, only given what the OP knows from the photos? I'm curious because I saw this gun when it was first posted for sale (at an asking price of $2500).
Knight Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
alanint
User

More likely original, except for the barrel, and we still don't know if the 4" take-off barrel matches the balance of the gun.
Remember that each part was stamped by an individual craftsman at his table while they assembled and fitted each pistol. Stamps wore out and another stamp on hand was often used. I would worry about font differences on major components more than on the small parts.