LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
tbarker13
User

Default So confused....

So I'm not a collector of anything. If I buy it, I shoot it.
I love the older classics (1911, Browning Hi Power, Walther PP, etc.).
I've turned my attention now to the idea of buying a Luger. Part of that sudden impulse is finding one locally that's for sale.
It's a 1917 DWM Luger for $1,000. I'm told it has all matching numbers. Original barrel. 90 percent finish. And that's all I know about it. The guy has no photos, etc. So I'm trying to go check it out Friday on my lunch hour.

I have to say, though, that I'm pretty hesitant to buy. I've spent the past couple of days reading threads on this forum - and the more I learn, the more I realize I have little hope of truly figuring out whether this is a good deal or not.
Just seems like there are so many variables.

He's going to let me inspect the thing. Take photos of it. Make notes on markings, etc. I doubt, however, that I'll get a chance to shoot the thing - or see it in operation.
This guy is just liquidating someone else's (deceased) collection, so he can only tell me that he's sure it works.

Not sure there's really an answer I'm seeking here. Just felt like sharing some frustration from the perspective of a wanna-be Luger owner.
tbarker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Almost all Lugers that are in good, original shape will also shoot. Post extensive photos of all markings and numbers and the experts on the board will give you excellent advice as to whether your purchase is a good deal or not. $1,000 is at the low end of an all matching, (90%), original finish military collectable. So if everything checks out, you are most likely getting a deal. If the gun is not as advertised, you will find that out here as well.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote