LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
nok
New User

Default Interarms 9mm luger now fully reliable

I have a circa 1975 Interarms Mauser 9mm luger, 4" barrel. It was basically unfired when I obtained it. Pretty, yes. Reliable, no way. I don't think it would make it through an entire magazine for the first few years I owned it. I didn't get to shoot all that much, but recently an indoor range opened (to the public). This gave me a much needed opportunity to chase down some variables. I can tell you this: At the range tonight, out of 100 rounds fired, I had one jam. Last time out, zero jams.
I'm only posting this in case anyone else with the same gun is as frustrated as I was. Firstly, most of the conventional wisdom turned up in my research was exactly wrong. This particular firearm DOES NOT like "hot loads". It also likes shorter COAL. I had bought some UMC 9mm FMJ at a gun show, and it performed better than anything else I had ever used. These cartridges are visibly shorter than any other commercial ammo I checked. I now load all my Luger rounds at 1.121". Secondly, I changed magazine springs. I still think a more powerful spring would help, but all I could find were Wolff springs @+10%. I'm thinking of winding some springs of my own since I can easily hand-load a Wolff-equipped mag even without the loading tool (others say they just cannot get that eighth round into the mag). Thirdly, I changed extractors. Repros are available from Numrich, along with much stronger extractor springs. By the time I had made these changes, I think the gun was about 75% reliable. Better, but still frustrating.
The final piece of the puzzle was changing to a different powder. I had some success after doing trials with Unique, but nothing I would consider definitive. It seemed from my reading that original luger rounds were loaded with a slow-ish powder. The answer to that turned out to be Winchester AutoComp. After fine-tuning the charge, I have finally been able to fully enjoy this Luger. I love the gun and succeeding in making it reliable has made it my favorite at the range.
My reloading recipe for this pistol is:
Remington FMJ 115 gr. bullets
Winchester Small Pistol primers (although I would try CCI500's)
5.4 gns. of AutoComp powder (gives about 1100FPS)
Cartridge over all length=1.121"

Hope this helps somebody or gives them a couple ideas if they're having trouble with their own Luger, whatever the vintage and make.
nok is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to nok for your post:
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nok View Post
I have a circa 1975 Interarms Mauser 9mm luger, 4" barrel. It was basically unfired when I obtained it. Pretty, yes. Reliable, no way. I don't think it would make it through an entire magazine for the first few years I owned it. I didn't get to shoot all that much, but recently an indoor range opened (to the public). This gave me a much needed opportunity to chase down some variables. I can tell you this: At the range tonight, out of 100 rounds fired, I had one jam. Last time out, zero jams.
I'm only posting this in case anyone else with the same gun is as frustrated as I was. Firstly, most of the conventional wisdom turned up in my research was exactly wrong. This particular firearm DOES NOT like "hot loads". It also likes shorter COAL. I had bought some UMC 9mm FMJ at a gun show, and it performed better than anything else I had ever used. These cartridges are visibly shorter than any other commercial ammo I checked. I now load all my Luger rounds at 1.121". Secondly, I changed magazine springs. I still think a more powerful spring would help, but all I could find were Wolff springs @+10%. I'm thinking of winding some springs of my own since I can easily hand-load a Wolff-equipped mag even without the loading tool (others say they just cannot get that eighth round into the mag). Thirdly, I changed extractors. Repros are available from Numrich, along with much stronger extractor springs. By the time I had made these changes, I think the gun was about 75% reliable. Better, but still frustrating.
The final piece of the puzzle was changing to a different powder. I had some success after doing trials with Unique, but nothing I would consider definitive. It seemed from my reading that original luger rounds were loaded with a slow-ish powder. The answer to that turned out to be Winchester AutoComp. After fine-tuning the charge, I have finally been able to fully enjoy this Luger. I love the gun and succeeding in making it reliable has made it my favorite at the range.
My reloading recipe for this pistol is:
Remington FMJ 115 gr. bullets
Winchester Small Pistol primers (although I would try CCI500's)
5.4 gns. of AutoComp powder (gives about 1100FPS)
Cartridge over all length=1.121"

Hope this helps somebody or gives them a couple ideas if they're having trouble with their own Luger, whatever the vintage and make.
Hi,

I'm happy you are enjoying your Luger and that it is now functioning properly for you!!!

Some of the problems you experienced with your Interarms Parabellum are a bit puzzling to me, but, on the other hand, I'm not one to argue with success.

Original recoil springs on these were quite strong from the factory; as were the magazine springs, that were timed to the recoil springs. If, as you say, you can easily pull your magazine spring down for the eighth round, with your bare thumb, there is something very, very wrong with your magazine spring.

Your C.O.A.L. figures are totally puzzling to me; as your round nose bullets, if you are loading and shooting from a fully loaded 8 round magazine, should jam like the Devil at that short of length. The well established C.O.A.L. for round nose bullets is 1.173 inches and has been since the introduction of the Luger, per original German DWM and Mauser sources. Also, for future bullet types, you may wish to read my sticky "Determining Proper Cartridge O.A.L", as it may be helpful.

I fully agree that Lugers prefer slower powders, as my most accurate and reliable powders are in the exact same burning range as your Winchester Auto Comp powder.

Lugers do not prefer "Hot Loads" as you can now also attest.

I've also experience week extractor spring problems; which, by the way, is one of the major causes of "smoke stacks" in a Luger.

Again, good luck shooting your very fine Interarms Parabellum!!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 03-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thank you for posting your problems and solutions. All of us "Luger folks" realize that (1) every Luger is an individual (2) a luger is sensitive to both springs(balance) and ammo. I am glad for you that you can now fully enjoy your Mauser Parabellum. I own an 06/73 6in. bbl. in 9mm that was NIB when purchased. It is a shooter for me, as I am no longer a collector of anything, except arthritis!!

The original mags that came with my 06/73 have a super strong spring. Without a loading tool, I can not load 5 rounds....perhaps I am a weenie. I also load my 9mm rounds with a medium burn powder, that being Power Pistol and Unique. I have stayed with a longer OAL than what you describe, but one can not argue with success. My extractor and spring are functioning fine.......at least they seem to be.

Again, glad to hear that you have hit the "sweet spot" for your Luger and 100% reliability....Congrats.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
JD
User

I'm glad that you've gotten it to function. They are quite accurate and great fun to shoot!!!

I'm with Sieger in being puzzled by your cartridge overall loaded length. Both of my Mauser Parabellums prefer cartridges on the long side and tend to choke on any FMJ ammo loaded as short as what you are using. Typically I load round nose fmj ammo to an overall loaded length of 1.169 to 1.720 inches, at which it functions perfectly....

Another suggestion: The grips on the Mauser Parabellums are rather blocky, but Hugh on this forum can reshape and rechecker them so they feel like original luger grips. He does a superb job. If you search the site, you can find photos of my two Mausers with grips reworked by Hugh...
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Thank you for posting your problems and solutions. All of us "Luger folks" realize that (1) every Luger is an individual (2) a luger is sensitive to both springs(balance) and ammo. I am glad for you that you can now fully enjoy your Mauser Parabellum. I own an 06/73 6in. bbl. in 9mm that was NIB when purchased. It is a shooter for me, as I am no longer a collector of anything, except arthritis!!

The original mags that came with my 06/73 have a super strong spring. Without a loading tool, I can not load 5 rounds....perhaps I am a weenie. I also load my 9mm rounds with a medium burn powder, that being Power Pistol and Unique. I have stayed with a longer OAL than what you describe, but one can not argue with success. My extractor and spring are functioning fine.......at least they seem to be.

Again, glad to hear that you have hit the "sweet spot" for your Luger and 100% reliability....Congrats.
Hi,

My most accurate FMJ 9mm load is:

WW Commercial Cases
Remington 1 1/2 Primers
Hornady 124 gr. FMJFP
O.A.L. 28.7mm
Power Pistol at 5.4 grs.

Good shooting!!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 03-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote