LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #21
noylj
User

Vendors?
Penn is excellent. I like his 115gn L-SWCs.
For general, not necessarily L-SWC, 9mm bullets, I like:
mastercastbullets.com and Missouri Bullets, besides Penn.
Most all vendors make very good bullets, but with 9x19, you need to slug the barrel and be sure the vendor can supply bullets of the proper size. Penn is about the best at offering what you may need, but most can offer you an appropriate size.
For lead bullets, don't be afraid to try some .38 Super or even .38/.357 bullets, particularly if you can't get the size you need from a given vendor. I find that, in general, even a .355" groove barrel will shoot 0.357" bullets, jacketed or lead, quite well and sometimes much better than 0.355-0.356". You start with the starting load and work up.
Precision Bullets makes excellent swaged moly-koted bullets that feed and are quite accurate. Because they are swaged, they are very consistent dimensionally and by weight, but they cost more than run-of-the-mill cast. However, they don't offer alternative sizes as far as I know. However, if you don't damage the coating by excess crimping, they seem to perform more like jacketed in terms of size not being that critical. They eliminated many of their bullets several years ago when demand sky-rocketed--I assume they could keep up orders for the standard/most popular but the non-standard would take time away to meet incoming orders.
For jacketed bullets, which I only use in 9mm/.38 Super, I like Zero Bullets the best (PowderValley still has some in stock) but they are almost impossible to find. Second would be Montana Gold and then Precision Delta. Buy several thousand or a case to get the best price--quality is such that you are unlikely to be disappointed.
My preference for bullets is: JHP, L-SWC, FMJ-FP, RNFP, and CFP--in that order. I cast my own, but haven't in several years.
Finally, if you buy cast bullets and they lead, buy some Xlox from White Label Labs or Lee Liquid Alox. The oxidized calcium soaps seem to adhere to the lead and protect the bullet quite well from hot gasses, so I will give bullets that lead a light tumble lube in LLA and leading is eliminated (or reduced quite a bit).
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to noylj for your post:
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
ChrisLL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Vendors?
For general, not necessarily L-SWC, 9mm bullets, I like:
mastercastbullets.com and Missouri Bullets, besides Penn.
Most all vendors make very good bullets, but with 9x19, you need to slug the barrel and be sure the vendor can supply bullets of the proper size. Penn is about the best at offering what you may need, but most can offer you an appropriate size.
For lead bullets, don't be afraid to try some .38 Super or even .38/.357 bullets, particularly if you can't get the size you need from a given vendor. I find that, in general, even a .355" groove barrel will shoot 0.357" bullets, jacketed or lead, quite well and sometimes much better than 0.355-0.356". You start with the starting load and work up.
Precision Bullets makes excellent swaged moly-koted bullets that feed and are quite accurate. Because they are swaged, they are very consistent dimensionally and by weight, but they cost more than run-of-the-mill cast. However, they don't offer alternative sizes as far as I know. However, if you don't damage the coating by excess crimping, they seem to perform more like jacketed in terms of size not being that critical. They eliminated many of their bullets several years ago when demand sky-rocketed--I assume they could keep up orders for the standard/most popular but the non-standard would take time away to meet incoming orders.
For jacketed bullets, which I only use in 9mm/.38 Super, I like Zero Bullets the best (PowderValley still has some in stock) but they are almost impossible to find. Second would be Montana Gold and then Precision Delta. Buy several thousand or a case to get the best price--quality is such that you are unlikely to be disappointed.
My preference for bullets is: JHP, L-SWC, FMJ-FP, RNFP, and CFP--in that order. I cast my own, but haven't in several years.
Finally, if you buy cast bullets and they lead, buy some Xlox from White Label Labs or Lee Liquid Alox. The oxidized calcium soaps seem to adhere to the lead and protect the bullet quite well from hot gasses, so I will give bullets that lead a light tumble lube in LLA and leading is eliminated (or reduced quite a bit).
Thanks for the info, and very complete answer. I like the suggestion of a light tumble in Lee lube for leading issues. I have not had leading problems in the past, but most of what I shot was 44 mag (at 44 special velocities w/lead) and more recently a few 32 ACPs.

Chris
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Do you have a link to a web site?
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
ChrisLL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
http://www.pennbullets.com/
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ChrisLL for your post:
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #25
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Hi,

I've ordered from Penn before. The box of bullets I received had nice ones on the top, but toward the bottom of the box, they looked almost like seconds.

Also, the 115 gr SWCs, when loaded to the 1.14 O.A.L. necessary to feed a fully loaded 8 round magazine, were the ones I mentioned above that flew into mid air because of the location and width of the cutting edge. Loaded shorter, this may not have happened, but I won't shoot a cartridge that will not feed out of a fully loaded 8 round magazine.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 02-20-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post: