LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
dfm
User

Default Some reloads to share...

Bought an Interarms 29/70 Swiss Luger, .30 Luger, 6" barrel a few months back and have been working it with a variety of reloads since. Just thought I'd share some of the ones that have worked well for me.

Winchester cases, Federal 100 SP for all.

No chronograph data as an aquaintence killed my Chrony with friendly fire. Still waiting on the factory to rebuild it.

All testing done at 50'.

All ammo functioned the gun perfectly and all shot dead center with the same sight picture.

1.) Meister Bullets 32 94gr. RNFP (L) .312 diam.
4.1grs. WST
OAL - 1.117"

My everyday range/practice load. Accurate, clean burning, low recoiling and smooth feeding it's a delight to shoot. This bullet has a relatively wide flat point so I'm sure it'd be a great small game killer, too.

2.) Hornady XTP 85gr. HP (J) .312 diam.
6.0grs. HS-6
OAL - Seat to cannelure and crimp

This is my varmint round. Fast, flat and accurate it demolishes jackrabbits with aplomb and has bowled over two coyotes.

3.) Berry's 32 71gr. RN (P) .312 diam.
4.7grs WST
OAL - 1.132"

The most accurate handload yet. Quarter size groups time after time after time. I bought the bullets on a whim since they were reasonably priced and available during this time of component shortages. After seeing how well they shot I went back online to get more but they were all gone. Went to the Berry's website but the bullet had been discontinued (at least for the time being).

The .30 Luger caliber in a Luger platform - the most fun you can have with your clothes on, especially at my age.
dfm is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to dfm for your post:
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thank you very much for posting your data. I, for one, really appreciate it. I, also, load for the 30 luger, and have for some time. I have never used any of those bullets or powder, so this info gets added to mine. I stick with the .308-.310 dia bullets, because I have handguns besides Lugers in 30 Luger caliber, and the chambers and bores are not as "generous" as that of the original luger. I have been loading:

(1) Hornady 86gr FMJRN (30 Mauser) bullet behind Red Dot powder. .308 dia.

(2) Sierra 86gr JSP bullet behind Red Dot .308 dia.

(3) Western Bullet 93gr LRN .310 diameter behind Bullseye

The lead bullet is loaded to factory equivalent according to my old Lymans (1969) Reloading Manual.

These three loads work well for me, but are not soft target loads, but are not overly heavy loads either. Basically, factory equivalent loads.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
dfm
User

I own three .30 Luger chambered pistols and am lucky their respective barrels all mic out at .311 diameter, give or take.

If I may make a suggestion. Hornaday offers a .309 90gr. XTP that friends of mine use in some of their tighter barrels. They report excellent results for accuracy and performance.
dfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have been very interested in that particular bullet, but have not found any for sale to try out. I am not sure if that HP XTP profile will feed correctly in my Lugers, but most likely will in the other handguns. I assume that Hornady only produces that bullet once a year or less, and just have never found any for sale. I would love to try 100 or so, and see how they perform.

Hornady has suspended production of a huge number of their bullets(non big sellers) and are focused only on the bullets most in demand. Perhaps when this craziness is over, I can find some to try.
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I just checked again for those Hornady .309 bullets, and found some at Natchez Shooting Supply. I have 100 on the way to my house to try out.. We shall see how they will work out.
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
K.Wilhelm
User

Default 30 Luger loads

I'm using Hornady 86 gr. JSP .308 bullets (really for .30 Mauser), but they seem to work well in my 1920 Commercial. For powder I've chosen HP38, but I had to work up to a charge well beyond the book to get the pistol to lock open when empty. I did this very gradually in .2 gr. increments looking for signs of excessive pressure. I stopped at 4.7 grains- the first instance at which the action would lock open. The fired primers began to look slightly flat at that point, so I'm not going any higher.
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

All of my loads are within the book specs, and they will function 100% in my Lugers. I am loading my 30 luger rounds with both Bullseye, and Red Dot powder. I don't know that I have ever seen a recipe with HP38/231 for the 30 Luger.