LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #61
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318is_Parabellum View Post
ETA: I'm all for capitalism, but this is a new thing, and ugly. I don't begrudge those who've earned their 'check', either. My cousin, with whom I am very close, is a disabled Navy vet. That said, SSI Disability fraud is a way of life here in Appalachia and it engenders a lot of resentment from those of us that are more or less able-bodied but struggling, thanks to this crappy economy. (Quoted, because the point bears repeating.)

Having served active duty in the US Army as a combat medic, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the many military retirees (and retired govt. employees, for that matter) on this board that *earned* their 'check'. The 'neckbeards' I refer to are more the SSI/Disability fraudster types that are so prevalent here in Appalachia.
I have seen a lot of the SSI disability in Eastern Kentucky also. I grew up in Breathitt County which is part of the mountain region. That and welfare is a general staple any more as the ones who wanted to get ahead have left. Have two brother-in-laws who are on military disability. 3 daughters who were airborne (one did 4 in EOD and the other flew the Apache). A son who has spent several years in the AF, presently at Cannon AFB - once to Iraq and 3 times to Afghanistan.

That being said, the ex-wife of one of my brother-in-laws is one of the fraudster types - SSI disability and a business on the side.
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #62
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
rhuff:
So can you go into a store and buy .22 LR or all the usual reloading powders, or are they rare down there too?
dju

As a matter of fact, I was at a giant Wal-Mart today and went by the sporting goods section just to see. There was NO .22cal, or any other handgun ammo for sale....plenty of shotgun, and some rifle ammo. WalMart here does not sell powder or primers.

I am pretty well stocked up on reloading components after getting "caught out " when Obummer got in the first time. I honestly haven't been looking for primers and powders anywhere except Powder Valley. They had Winchester primers today, and they have had them in stock for the last 2 weeks. I believe that their limit on buying primers is 50K/order. No Federal or Remington primers. Powders show out of stock there also.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #63
MikeP
User

There may be a lot of folks scamming on disability, but it's more complicated than simply claiming it.

You have to get certification and evaluation starting with a doctor's recommendation.

They have to be pretty careful about what they put their signature to.

Just saying a blanket statement involving a group or groups can be inaccurate.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #64
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
There may be a lot of folks scamming on disability, but it's more complicated than simply claiming it.

You have to get certification and evaluation starting with a doctor's recommendation.

They have to be pretty careful about what they put their signature to.

Just saying a blanket statement involving a group or groups can be inaccurate.
It is not that hard - many doctors will do it.

An ex friend - had polio and on crutches. After many years he was downsized. He claimed it was because of his condition. His doctor wrote glowing reports of how able and capable he was to work. He received notice that he lost his case on Tuesday. On Friday, he went to the SS office and applied for SS disability (and received it fast)., His doctor submitted a report that he was totally incapable to do any type of work. By the way - then and now he runs a gun store - working 1 hours a day.

Then as to my brother-in-law's ex wife. Nothing wrong with her - she could do, did and does anything she wanted. She runs a quilt business, setting up at craft affairs and making and selling quilts, with a couple of women working for her. Every year she would take a 3 week vacation at Hilton Head.

The key is that both of the above operate on the cash basis.

True, maybe 100% of the people are not fraudulent, but a majority are. As to Eastern Kentucky, the Doctors are compliant.
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #65
singleshotman
User

You people who hate the poor and the people on Disabilty almost make me vote Democratic. Just try sometime to get on Medicare and SSI, just try, its a lot harder than people think. My wife was hurt at work, it took 5 years to settle her case. She was an RN, and now cannot walk more than 50 feet because of an injury at work. We went into Bankeupty(sic) and nearly lost everything, only Ca state Disability payments kept us afloat, and food on the table. Had to leave CA. and now live in TX because we could not afford to live in CA anymore, the cost of living was far to expensive there.
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #66
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
As a matter of fact, I was at a giant Wal-Mart today and went by the sporting goods section just to see. There was NO .22cal, or any other handgun ammo for sale....plenty of shotgun, and some rifle ammo.
Our Walmart has plenty of ammo now, but the assortment is still a bit slim as far as the brands go. There no shortage of handgun ammo though, it's on the shelf as long as you're ok with UMC.

They get deliveries of .22 every week, but they told me that they have a long line (20-30 people) every time. They only sell two boxes to each person, but I bet it's the same guys coming back over and over again. The only way to get it is to pay $50/500 to those who have time to hang around at Walmart, just to get in the line at the right time, then run home and advertise it on GOC.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #67
318is_Parabellum
User

We're getting off track here. But I'll quote myself again, for clarity's sake:

"I don't begrudge those who've earned their 'check', either. My cousin, with whom I am very close, is a disabled Navy vet. That said, SSI Disability fraud is a way of life here in Appalachia and it engenders a lot of resentment from those of us that are more or less able-bodied but struggling, thanks to this crappy economy. (Quoted, because the point bears repeating.)

Having served active duty in the US Army as a combat medic, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the many military retirees (and retired govt. employees, for that matter) on this board that *earned* their 'check'. The 'neckbeards' I refer to are more the SSI/Disability fraudster types that are so prevalent here in Appalachia."

Where's the "hate"? The criticism was aimed squarely and solely at those "getting over", not those persons who've EARNED IT. If the statement didn't apply to you, then you've no reason whatsoever to take offense to it!! I was specifically referring to a phenomenon occurring in my area. I see it every day, and apparently I'm not the only one.

Gentlemen, I am a degreed Safety professional, and I have years of experience in dealing with injured employees. Of course there are people who are legitimately 'drawing a disability check'! That's not who we're talking about here!! Geez.

As an aside, if those avaricious, venal "men" that owned "Freedom Industries" would have bothered to employ someone like myself (I've been out of work for months, btw), they would have been told straight away that their Spill Prevention Control and Containment Plan was inadequate. Additionally, they would have been told that $20 grand worth of materials could have prevented the chemical spill disaster that poisoned the municipal water supply for 300,000 people where I live in WV.

Last edited by 318is_Parabellum; 02-05-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: 'cause grammar, and stuff.
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #68
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
If they were to lose on the ammo purchases, that would be capitalism at work.

Back during the panic during Clinton, I did gun shows. One table holder went thru the show and purchased all of the primers he could find. He purchased mine at $18.00 per box. (Before the panic I was selling them for $8.00 per box, so I was happy to sell all of mine to him.) He paid as high as $22.00 per box from others. So he had all of these primers and a few months later, the panic vanished. And he was selling primers at $8.00 per box. He was realistic about it as he said he took a gamble - and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Capitalism at work.

I had stopped doing gun shows in January 2006. But I had a number of primers left on hand (about 75 sleeves) sitting around here and there. Sold them at NGD (3 shows) for $40.00 per box (1000). Capitalism at work.
During the prevous asssault rifle scare, some locals hoarded hi-cap mags and sold them at the shows for 3-4 times the list price. It was kinda funny to see them a few months later. When you finally were able to order Butler Creek .22 mags online for $20 again, they were still trying to sell them for $50. I talked to one of them, and he said that he had taken a huge loss on hoarding mags while the prices were still going up. That's money he'll never get back, and I can't say that I feel sorry for him.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #69
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotman View Post
You people who hate the poor and the people on Disabilty almost make me vote Democratic. Just try sometime to get on Medicare and SSI, just try, its a lot harder than people think. My wife was hurt at work, it took 5 years to settle her case. She was an RN, and now cannot walk more than 50 feet because of an injury at work. We went into Bankeupty(sic) and nearly lost everything, only Ca state Disability payments kept us afloat, and food on the table. Had to leave CA. and now live in TX because we could not afford to live in CA anymore, the cost of living was far to expensive there.

Well, sorry to see that you had such a bad experience with your wife.

However you need to read the posts carefully.

No one is talking about poor people. No one is talking about people on disability in any area other than the mountain area of W. Virginia or Kentucky. No one is saying that there are not legitimate instances for SS disability

As to Medicare, it is not hard to get as everyone who attains the age of 65 receives it.

Going back to poor people, you may not have a conception of poor people. I grew up in Eastern Kentucky. Well water, septic tanks, fire places, no electricity until about 70 years ago, when the TVA lines were extended.

I moved out (along with a lot of others) to better places. When I went home to visit, many times my mother would have me drive her. Seems like she collected old clothes and needed help to deliver them to the truly poor. I can remember driving her to these dirt paths, carrying the clothes for her and we would walk 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile up the path (not a road) from the road to the people's house. The (wood) house was usually one or two rooms, heated by coal, dirt floor, outhouse, well water, no electricity as they were too far from the road. Children were born at home, many times with other children helping with the delivery. If a case of major a major illness, someone would try to walk to the nearest house for aid. Now those were poor people.
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #70
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
During the prevous asssault rifle scare, some locals hoarded hi-cap mags and sold them at the shows for 3-4 times the list price. It was kinda funny to see them a few months later. When you finally were able to order Butler Creek .22 mags online for $20 again, they were still trying to sell them for $50. I talked to one of them, and he said that he had taken a huge loss on hoarding mags while the prices were still going up. That's money he'll never get back, and I can't say that I feel sorry for him.

Nope, don't feel sorry for him either. I had a few, actually a dozen or so, purchased during the Clinton scare. Did not sell or try to. Still have them all, except for two I sent to a friend (on another board) in LA, with the direction sometime to pass the favor forward.
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #71
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
...Now those were poor people.
Back in 1970, on the bus ride from Perris Island to Camp LeJeune, we passed by houses with dirt floors and greased newspapers for windows...(Doors were open, almost Summer)...Kids without shoes playing in the yards...And this was on main roads (or what passed for main roads there & then)...

The only time in my life that I've felt really poor was in the early '70's while attending college on the [say it with a bitter laugh!] GI Bill, I went without food for a couple days so my dog could eat...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote