LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
leesherman
New User

Default Shoot or not to shoot.

OK, I'm brand new to Luger pistols. I purchased one for my firearm collection. It is in great condition, all #'s matching, no import marks, and has a receiver stamp of 1917. Basically a garden variety Luger as far as I know. I have not fired it as yet. I would like too just for the record. Another Luger collector told me that when he shot his, the extractor broke. His extractor was number matching and he was'nt happy. I was thinking about installing an aftermarket extractor, and then shooting the pistol. If the new extractor broke, then not so bad, as I would still have my #'s matching part. What about proper ammo selection? I would certainly appreciate any comments from persons who know more about Lugers than I. Thanks in advance. LS
leesherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Lee.

You pose the age-old question. If yours is original, you could swap out the most commonly broken parts for others to save them the possibility of breakage. The Luger is a sturdy, robust pistol by design, meant to be shot. However, messing up a collectible is sad, and expensive when you consider that some damage can reduce the value by half.

So, here's what you do: Post pics of your weapon. There's a sticky or FAQ around here somewhere about how best to do it--outdoors in the shade or on a cloudy day, tripod, white balance adjusted, close-up setting on the camera, highest res that will fit on the site (another sticky about how to post), etc. Show full left, right, top, bottom/front under barrel, rear, and closeups of all proofs and other stampings. The "community" will take a look at what you have, discuss most every aspect that needs be, and you can make your decision from as thoroughly informed a position as possible.

Your pistol might be refinished, albeit well, but this would remove strict collector status, making it a more-handsome-than-average shooter, and it can still have a relatively high value. If it turns out to be collectible, you may want to preserve it intact, take no chances with it, and simply buy another as a shooter.

Winchester white box form WalMart, 115gr FMJ is the go-to ammo (I just picked up a box today.). No P, +P, or NATO rounds! There are other manufacturers of ammo whose stuff might work as well in your gun, but WWB is the basic starting point.

Sorry to tell ya, Bud, but the Parabellum pistol is the potato chip gun--can't eat just one.

Sounds as if you have a 1917 P.08, likely military. We shall see...
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
alvin
User

If you keep shooting it, some parts will finally break.

I could not hold my curiosity, so I fired 20 rounds from my 1897 conehammer. It worked perfectly, I am very satisfied. That's it, no more shooting is needed on this one anymore. Consider that being "Test Fire".

Sellers usually do NOT allow test firing. But if it's yours, you can test fire a few rounds. Be honest, I was a little bit nervous while firing this one,,,,, even extractor is special on this variation, if it's broken, I would not be able to find a replacement. Fortunately, nothing negative happened.

[Edit] Another collector has 3 or 4 genuine Shansei C96s in his collection. Never fired any. Worrying break parts is a very legitimate reason. So, up to this day, I still don't know those genuine .45ACP working or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	974.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	37724  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I don't shoot collectable firearms. The potential historical and financial value loss is too great. Get one that you can shoot without anxiety (an import marked one; a refinish, a mismatch, or one in poor finish).

Another way to look at it is if you break yours, it increases the value of other collectables because there is one less...

Marc
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
If you keep shooting it, some parts will finally break.

I could not hold my curiosity, so I fired 20 rounds from my 1897 conehammer. It worked perfectly, I am very satisfied. That's it, no more shooting is needed on this one anymore. Consider that being "Test Fire".

Sellers usually do NOT allow test firing. But if it's yours, you can test fire a few rounds. Be honest, I was a little bit nervous while firing this one,,,,, even extractor is special on this variation, if it's broken, I would not be able to find a replacement. Fortunately, nothing negative happened.

[Edit] Another collector has 3 or 4 genuine Shansei C96s in his collection. Never fired any. Worrying break parts is a very legitimate reason. So, up to this day, I still don't know those genuine .45ACP working or not
That's one sweet C96. Congrats.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesherman View Post
I was thinking about installing an aftermarket extractor, and then shooting the pistol.
If cannot hold curiosity, just shoot 8 rounds from it as is. You don't know which part will break. It could be firing pin on yours, the toggle could crack,,,,,you don't know. What if something indeed breaks?? Looking from this angle -- if it cannot even withstand 8 rounds.... you need another instance anyway.

But if it does not break (supposedly), you have a gem. The key is test firing, not sports firing, so just 8 rounds of Winchester White Box. If you keep shooting it, something will break sooner or later.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
leesherman
New User

You guys answered many questions for me. I truly appreciate the effort. I basically purchased it just to hold and admire from time to time. As an investment goes, that was only secondary. If old man Luger only knew eh?! So many guns, so little time. Thanks, LS
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I just had this thought...that if one changes out enough parts to protect the original ones, at what point would it not even be the "same gun"?

It would be sorta like that if an entirely different upper were installed to protect parts for trying it out...
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
Geo99
User

David,

I actually thought about doing just that. I fll upper would cost as much as buying a shooter so that would be a waste of time.

All you would need is a complete breechblock/firing pin and the rest of the toggle train. You could just swap that out to shoot with, and about the only other thing you might break is the ejector (flat spring that is not normally marked, at least on DWMs)...
But then I realized there could still be headspace issues so you would need some 9mm headspace gauges. All in all, I figured I might as well just buy a shooter because you're right - it would not be the same gun.

- Geo
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Geo99
User

Lee,

Welcome to the club and to the forum.

IMO there is no such thing as a "garden variety Luger" (well, maybe a 1920s 7.65 commercial). Imperial Army Lugers are quite unique and collectable, having almost every part numbered. A nice 1917 is a real treasure to keep.

Let's see some pics,

- Geo
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum

I fired a box thru mine when I got it and that was it.

Got a shooter to take to the range.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
leesherman
New User

I'll try to submit pix. Never have done it before. Probably no real reason to bring the ole' girl outa' retirement after all these years. I'll see what I can do with some good help. Thanks again guys. LS
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Welcome to this Forum made by Luger enthusiasts, I'm afraid it's an old topic; actually I'm one of the many that DO NOT shoot any "collectible", neither Lugers, nor others like C-96 or Pythons or Sig just to name a few.
BUT as I always say it's just a matter of personal choice, if you are ready to take a risk to ruin probably for ever a collectible item, do it, but to me would be a real shame.