LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 07-15-2002, 06:15 PM   #1
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Post Kreigsmarine Binoculars & Case

A few years ago, I purchased a pair of Leitz 7x50 Naval binoculars. They're large glasses with resevoirs for dessecant and marked "beh", the code for E. Leitz. They appear to have been well used.

My question concerns the case and the marking on it. While the glasses appear to have seen considerable use, the case is in excellent over all condition. The construction of the case is very heavy and made of black leather that has a small, tight pebble grain pattern. The elastic closure on the front shows it's age as do the belt loops. The remainder of the case shows little use. I can understand if the glasses were constantly carried while the case was stored, not an unlikely senario on board ship or sub.

Lifting the lid shows two filter pouches attached inside. On the upper forward outside lip of the case, covered by the lid when closed, are two marks that are difficult to read. They are "beh" and "1943". On top of the lid is a large stamp of an eagle holding a wreath with a Swastika inside. Under it is a large letter "M". The eagle looks *exactly* like the one on the cover of Jan Still's book "Third Reich Lugers". Under a magnifying glass, the detail in the wreath and feathers is remarkable. The die used to make the stamp was of excellent quality.

Does anyone else on this forum have any other items with the same eagle/wreath/Swastika marking? Any guesses or comments as to originality? Pictures follow.

Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 02:21 AM   #2
jcoe
User

Doubs, Your binocs and case are standard Kriegsmarine issue, frequently referred to as U boat binocs where they were frequently used. Prism style is called porro 2, and provides excellent optics. Unfortuneatly yours are missing the rubber covering on the prism cover/ocular and objective lens. Binocs/case similar to yours with the rubber covering intact can be seen on a current ebay auction WW2 German Navy Binoculars w/ case
Item # 2122356799
jcoe is offline   Reply With Quote