LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #41
Major Tom
User

Outstanding!! I really enjoyed seeing your work in progress. Your photos are also excellent. Thank you!!
Unread 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #42
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Default One Year Later

(This section is continued from) -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost...8&postcount=19

Well, it's been over a year since I 'finished' my 13" barreled Gonzo Luger carbine. I've shown it to a few people and gotten some comments. About the only unfavorable comment that I received was that it was not a faithful reproduction/recreation of an original carbine. Particularly the lack of checkering. I like the way the wood grain showed up under the BLO. It was even noted that my buttstock has a bit of 'fiddleback' in the comb. (I don't think it shows up in the pics - you have to turn it in the light to see it).

But checkering is a staple of Luger carbines, so I finally turned to Jim Solomon to checker the Gonzo Carbine. As a side note, I would prefer to do all the work required on my projects myself. But I'm turning 68 in a couple weeks and I don't have the patience to learn new trades at this point in my life, much less perfect them. So I've turned to Charles Danner for my blueing and strawing needs; to Gerry Tomek for my magazine bottoms; to Remington for my 30 cal barrel blanks/pulls; to Macon Gunstocks for my buttstock blank; and Jim Solomon for the checkering. These artists have all perfected their techniques, leaving me with only the simplest of work to finish the projects up.

Here, then, is a commentary of Jim's conversion of my slickside carbine buttstock and forearm into a checkered set reminiscent of the Luger carbines of the 20's.

After contacting Jim and emailing him several pictures of Simpson, Salter, and Bruning carbine furniture, Jim sent me back sketches of his proposed work. Jim included pics of my wood with the outlines of the checkered borders done in white pencil.

Jim sent pics of the semi-complete checkering. It looked good!

The wood was returned to me for final finishing. Jim does finishing of the wood as well as checkering, but I wanted to save some money and also have the satisfaction of doing some of the work myself so I had Jim leave the final finishing (BLO in my case) for me. I had already applied several coats of BLO to the slickside furniture and liked the way it looked and intended to do the same after checkering. If anyone is considering having Jim do any woodworking, I suggest you let Jim do the final finishing himself. It'll save a lot of grief.

So...After three coats of BLO, hand rubbed between coats, here is the finished buttstock and forearm, checkered and buffed to a semi-gloss finish.

Some closeups of the checkering - The rubbing/buffing was done with soft, clean old rags {white T-shirts) which left some fabric/lint in the checkering. I only noticed it in the blown-up pics. A brush removed most of it. Eventually.

Shameless plug for Jim's services -
Attached Images

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-18-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spel chekr
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #43
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

And pics of the final assembled Gonzo Luger carbine -

I have some 7.65 Parabellum cartridges loaded up and hope to shoot off a few rounds in a week or so.

BTW, I would be remiss if I did not credit Charles Danner with the refinishing of all parts of this handgun. Charles draw files, sands, and re-cuts any lettering/numbers as well as any logos that may be diminished by the metal removal. He then rust blues and straws the parts. Great job!

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-29-2018 at 08:53 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #44
Jim Solomon
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sheepherder,
You had done a truly outstanding service for the members of this Forum by the amazing documentary of the process of building a carbine. Your are a craftsman and have built a very impressive carbine. Looking forward to your next lovely presentation of one of your creations.
Jim
Unread 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #45
eagle7373
User

Wow!!!! I am very impressed. I had an idea that this was difficult for a full-up ammunition factory, but no real idea how difficult if could be for an individual. My hat's off to you.
Unread 11-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #46
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

After seeing how well the checkering for the 13" barreled Gonzo Luger Carbine turned out, I asked Jim Solomon to checker the forearm for the 16" barrel as well, and he kindly consented.

Here's the finished 16" barreled action mounted on the Gonzo Carbine, with checkered 16" forearm installed. It's had two coats of BLO and rubbed out after each dried coat.

After consulting with me, my nephew (heir & executor) has decided that this Gonzo Carbine will be part of our family heritage, and be passed down rather than sold off. I guess my next project will be to construct/modify a case for it. The case will have to hold the grip assembly, the buttstock, both barreled actions, two magazines, and whatever other accessories I can dig up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forearm-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	70046  

Name:	pistol-1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	70047