LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #21
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The diameter and thread pitch are correct, but you should contact the company via email or phone to inquire about whitworth threads before ordering...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Hugh
RIP

It really doesn't matter as the only difference is that the Whitworth has a 55 degree thread and the standard has a 60 degree thread. The spacing is the same. As thin as the Luger grip is, with only 3 or 4 threads, the thread angle isn't going to matter. Also, after extensive searching on the internet, that was the only place I found that size available, without ordering from England.

You will have to telephone them to ask questions.

From the internet:

"The Whitworth tap is a designation assigned to taps that use the British unit of measurement for its pitch and size. Named after Sir Joseph Whitworth of Stockport, England, the Whitworth type of threading was not initially meant for fasteners such as screws or bolts. It was first used as the measurement of the threading within a rifle barrel that adds spin to a fired bullet. Due to its ideal helix angle, it allowed bullets to be fired further and more accurately. This helix angle can now be seen it the threading of screws and bolts that follow the standard measurements of British taps. Unlike their American counterparts who use a standard 0.013 mm pitch distance it their threading, Whitworth taps generally use a 0.0005 inch pitch distance in their threading. Although these taps are no longer as common as the metric tap since the US standard has been adopted internationally, Whitworth taps are still available in all types of taps. From thread cutting dies and cutting taps to forming taps and custom dies, the Whitworth tap is still very much in use."

"There are three main divisions of British measurements used in threading screws, bolts and nuts. The first is the British Association or BA series of taps. This is the rough equivalent to the Society of Automotive Engineers or SAE standard taps that use the metric system. These are numbered 1 to 14 in sizing. The second is the British Standard Fine taps or the BSF. This is the counterpart of the SAE Unified National Fine taps. These are available in sizes ranging from 3/16 of an inch to 1 inch, with pitches ranging from 32 for the 3/16th inch tap to 10 for the 1 inch tap. The third is the British Standard Whitworth tap or BSW. These are equated with the SAE Unified National Coarse taps of the metric system taps. These are larger taps that range from 1/8 of an inch to 2 ½ inches in size, with the pitch ranging from 40 for the 1/8 inch tap and 4 for the 2 ½ inch tap. These tap sizes are available at Newman Tools Inc of Canada or their US office located in Hartford, CT, USA.

Another Whitworth tap that offers the quality and effectiveness of a large tool making company is the Whitworth tap from Axminster Tool Center. These tap and die tools from Axminster are made from high quality materials and offer long lasting function. They are available in three forms. There are tapered Whitworth taps to start threading off. Another form is the intermediate Whitworth tap that is used to follow up a tapping job. The third form is the bottoming Whitworth tap that cuts threads from the bottom of a hole that has been previously drilled. These are available in various sizes at approximately $3 to $4 a piece."
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Thank You, Hugh!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Just for S&G, I tried a Luger grip screw in my crimping pliars...(electricians pliars)...It went in nice & easy; not too tight, not too loose...It's the #10-32 hole...

A #10-32 HHCS goes in nice & easy, too...But won't go in a Luger grip frame...

...Doesn't prove anything...Just thought I'd throw this in here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	18187  

Unread 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #25
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I drilled & tapped three holes in a piece of scrap steel today...Using the following taps & drills

Tap/Drill

3/16" x 30/#23

3/16" x 32/#22

#10 x 32/#21

(The two 3/16" taps obtained from www.tapsndies.com; the #10 is from Ace Hardware)

Pics below...Both the 3/16" x 30 & the 3/16" x 32 tapped holes accepted a Luger grip screw...(off an S/42 Luger)...The #10 x 32 tapped hole would only allow 2 threads of the screw before binding...The two 3/16" tapped holes allowed all 3 threads of the grip screw...

I ended up tapping my grip frame with the 3/16" x 32 tap...The Luger grip screw fits just fine...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	taps_1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	18490  

Name:	taps_2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	18491  

The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Here is my experience regarding this issue. I took a gun to a shop that produces taps and sells numerous taps from other producers. They must have dozens and hundreds of different sizes and shapes, types and thread counts. They concluded it is 32 TPI, Whitworth, as I told him I understood it to be.
He used a "starter" tap and gently placed it into the threads in the gun; worked it into what he could feel as the starting point and, just with his fingers, made a quarter of a turn 3 or 4 times and gradually got it taking hold. When it got too tight for finger turning, after visually checking it numerous times, as he worked, he put a "T" wrench on it and worked it through. He only visually checked the screw and put it into the hole and once again gently turned it into place. It worked slick as anything. That was on a 1915 Arty. We repeated it on a 1900 AE with the same results. I bought the "starter" tap for $15 and brought it home to become a new addition to my tool box. Nothing was done to the screw. Apparently from the shape and bluntness of the screw, it is most often that the threads in the hole get damaged - not the threads on the screw.
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #27
A.Mifsin
User

"I ended up tapping my grip frame with the 3/16" x 32 tap...The Luger grip screw fits just fine... "

Hi Postino, is the 3/16"x32 BSF or Whitworth.
Alf.
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

The way I recall the Whitworth tap I just bought and chased grip screw threads with was listed both ways. BSF=British standard fine, which is the fine version of BSW=British standard Whitworth(coarse thread). So whit.3/16-32 would be the same as 3/16 BSF.
Here's a thought, did the original post seek larger diameter HEADS for the grip screws? I've noticed that this is the case for Erma La-22's; but since I am away from the guns in question, cannot say right now. The Erma grip screws have a significantly larger head diameter, so if thread size and pitch somehow match, they could work where this would be needed--or turned down a tad if the dia. is excessive.
David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
A.Mifsin
User

Thanks, the problem is I can't find 3/16"x32 Whitworth(BSW), only 3/16" x 32 BSF .
Alf
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

In two guns for me, 32 Tpi at 3/16 - Whitworthworked just fine and cleared up my problems. One was a 1915 Arty the other was a 1900 AE.
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

Albert, the BSW is coarse Whitworth thread, the BSF is fine Whitworth thread...
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Here's a thought, did the original post seek larger diameter HEADS for the grip screws?
Yes. Here is a copy of the Numrich Luger P-08 parts listing, just for S&G...I only noticed this today (Numrich has a habit of listing 'Not Illustrated' parts wherever they please...)

466070 Grip Screw (.258 OAL, .393 Head Diameter, Thread Pitch M5 x .8; 2 Req'd) $3.55

1430020 Grip Screw (.193 OAL, .344 Head Diameter, M5 x .8) $3.45

1430010 Grip Screw (.214 OAL, .373 Head Diameter, M5 x .8, Beveled) $3.45

I ordered two of the .393 dia screws...I'm doubtful of their thread pitch, but I hope they can read a caliper correctly...
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:

Tags
blivet