LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Default Alternate C96 Broomhandle Rear Sight

I see that many of us have/had a Mauser Broomhandle as well as a Luger...

I was searching eBay for a C96 Broomhandle rear sight assembly, and found this...It was described as a "M24/30 FN MAUSER PART, CARBINE REAR SIGHT"...

The dimensions are identical; the sight markings are different; the slider indices are different...but it fits and works fine in my Broomhandle slide!!!

A good alternate to the C96 sight, which is getting hard to find...

(It also fits homemade artillery Luger sight bases)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C96_alt_sight.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	4799  

Last edited by sheepherder; 08-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Note: The bevel on the tip of the C96 sight blade in the pic above was done by me; it is not representative of an original C96 sight...

I also obtained an original M24/30 FN sight base, with the thought of modifying it for an artillery Luger conversion...but the elevation ramp is not even close to a Luger artillery sight base ramp...It could still be used, but wouldn't "look right"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M24-30_1a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	5263  

Name:	M24-30_2a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	5264  

Unread 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I just got another one of these (w/base) in the mail today for my long-barrel P-38 project so I thought I'd update availability...

This sight can also be found/listed as OEM on the following rifles -

M24/30 FN MAUSER CARBINE REAR SIGHT

M1922 CHILEAN CARBINE REAR SIGHT

Chilean M1895 Short Rifle Rear Sight Assy

Chilean M1895 Carbine Rear Sight Assembly

Graduated to 1400 Meters

There seem to be a goodly lot being sold in the white, unused. packed in cosmoline.
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Certainly an interesting discovery Rich, at least for tinkerers of the C96 model.

The only issue I see with using these for an Artillery Luger barrel project is the OEM sight for the Artillery Model when elevated moves the rear sight UP and to the LEFT at the same time, to compensate for muzzle whip and rifling affect on the bullets. These sights would only go UP when elevated, unless I am mistaken... Could they be modified to function similar to a genuine Luger artillery rear sight?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
The only issue I see with using these for an Artillery Luger barrel project is the OEM sight for the Artillery Model when elevated moves the rear sight UP and to the LEFT at the same time, to compensate for muzzle whip and rifling affect on the bullets. These sights would only go UP when elevated, unless I am mistaken... Could they be modified to function similar to a genuine Luger artillery rear sight?
This thread was originally a companion to an "Alternative Artillery Barrel Fabrication" thread...Posted back in '09...

This Mauser rifle sight is not a replacement for the Luger artillery rear sight. It could possibly be shortened and a custom-machined & dovetailed base be made for it (like below) but the short answer is that as is it won't 'spiral up' when elevated. It won't fit the Luger sight base either, without a lot of milling.

Here's a comparison pic -

The left sight is a Sarco repro artillery rear sight on a Sarco repro artillery barrel; middle sight is a shortened FN M24/30 Carbine rear sight on a home-build [integral base] artillery barrel; right sight is the Chilean 1895 Short Rifle sight I just got in.

Now...If you shortened an FN M24/30 sight 'ladder' (I don't know the name for the graduated part) you could cross-drill it at an angle to mimic the Luger 'spiral up' action...You'd have to drill the base to match. The Mauser sight 'ladders' are wider than the Luger base so a custom base would be necessary. That base could be milled & dovetailed to sit in the Luger artillery dovetail with the sight sitting on top of the Luger dovetail. Your front sight blade would need to be higher too.

So...It's possible. Lots of variations could be done.

But it's a lot simpler to just pop it on a C96 to replace a stripped Mauser sight ladder. (It's dimensionally the same). Cheaper too.

Last edited by sheepherder; 08-11-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

John,
Moving the sight to the left as it is elevated is a really simple operation. Rather than making the hinge perpendicular to the bore, it is drilled at a slight angle...I have no idea what that angle is but the smart guys at DWM figured it out.
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I see that many of us have/had a Mauser Broomhandle as well as a Luger...

I was searching eBay for a C96 Broomhandle rear sight assembly, and found this...It was described as a "M24/30 FN MAUSER PART, CARBINE REAR SIGHT"...

The dimensions are identical; the sight markings are different; the slider indices are different...but it fits and works fine in my Broomhandle slide!!!

A good alternate to the C96 sight, which is getting hard to find...

(It also fits homemade artillery Luger sight bases)...
Got a question. Is that rear sight lower than the original C96?

Since my C96 shoots 1 foot high at 25 yards A lower rear sight would be welcome.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Since you had mentioned the artillery Luger rear sight, I thought I'd post this alternative to that sight...

It's from a Martini. The star in red is above the Luger artillery rear sight for comparison; all other pics are the Martini, leaf folded & extended. (The F indicates Front). The base is ramped and is graduated 50, 100, and 200 meters. The leaf is graduated 3, 4, 5, and 6 hundred meters. The elevator has one V-notch, the leaf has another.

It's designed to be soldered onto the barrel, but I am confident that it can be milled/dovetailed to fit the artillery Luger barrel/sight base.

The ramp is straight and the graduations staggered, the opposite of the Luger. After you hit 200 with the ramp, you would flip up the leaf and continue to 600.

Interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Martini2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	42861  

Unread 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
Got a question. Is that rear sight lower than the original C96?
The dimensions are identical; the graduations are different. Depending on what distance you are shooting, POI will be different. Wildly so, in the upper ranges (if you go by the graduations).

The V-notch is in the same place as the C96. In theory it would hold the same POI. In practice it would likely be off a bit due to tolerances & allowances being different from sight to sight.

I offer it here as an alternative to broken or missing C96 sights that I have seen listed on eBay/GB for up to $200. The one from the pic in post # 5 above cost me $38 complete (band, spring, screw, leaf, elevator assy).

Edit: 20 Jan 2015

I am in the process of shortening one of the in-the-white FN/Chilean/Argentine Mauser rear sight leafs, and I can tell you that you ain't gonna mill these leafs with a HSS or even a Cobaly end mill...I have two broken ones to prove it...I ended up milling it with Carbide end mills...

The main body is still ordnance steel; HSS end mills work fine on that...

Last edited by sheepherder; 01-20-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 08-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
The V-notch is in the same place as the C96. In theory it would hold the same POI. In practice it would likely be off a bit due to tolerances & allowances being different from sight to sight.
Too bad. I had hopes that the v notch in it's lowest position would sit a smidge lower than the original piece (about 2mm lower) that would bring the POI at 25 yards to an acceptable point of aim.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blivet