LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #41
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWaali View Post
I found a source for metric, but I have never used them so cannot vouch.
http://www.flat-stock.com/~store/Mer...ode=PM-A2DRMM3
Bookmarked. You can never have enough sources for metric stuff.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #42
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi Olli, you may want to leave the ends square as they were a press fit into the holes, then slightly expanded to where they were flush to the inside of the frame mag well, i think the popular thought was that, if a few thousands upset will hold tons of force, anything at all would hold a couple of pounds of pistol... best to you, til...lat'r...GT...
No, it really doesn't take much. One way to do it (which I have used with great success on other projects) is to drill a tiny hole in the end, then stake it with a center punch. The end will look kinda like a short tube, and the wall will flare out easily by hitting it with the center punch. However, on a P.38 you'll have to stick the staking tool through holes on the opposite side of the frame, so it takes a pretty slim center punch to do it. I want this to be an easy DIY installation that doesn't require any special tools, so that's why I want to go with the Loctite. Still, it wouldn't be a problem at all to make another version for those who really want to stake it in one way or another.

Anywho, I spent some time in the shop last night, scrutinizing the loops on my P.38s to see if I could find any forensic evidence of the manufacturing process. One interesting observation is the presence of a mark on the straight part, it clearly shows that there was some kind of "stop" in the tool. It only makes sense, an industrial tool wouldn't have the cap I'm using so it needs to come to a stop somehow. Of course, this is no big surprise, but if I can use a similar arrangement I will not only be able to straighten the loop, I will also be adding an authentic tool mark.

I believe the next step will be to fabricate a die and a saddle that I can use for an additional straighening step, like what you described earlier. These tools will need a slight bend to compensate for springback, but I believe I can actually hand form that with a riffler file. Stay tuned.
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #43
Olle
User

It took a while to get around to it, but here’s “the rest of the story”: I already had a working tool to bend the loop, so I figured that the easiest way to adjust the top part was to make another tool:

I stuck the loop in the tool and tapped it in...

...and then I put it in the vise and pressed it:

I anticipated that the loop would stick in the tool, so I added a hole in the center to be able to tap it out with a punch. It worked like a charm, one firm tap and it came right out:

And here’s the finished product, nice, straight and square:

The greyish one was made from the material GT sent me (thanks again, I owe you one!). It wasn’t really easier to press, it may be softer but the surface isn’t polished so it didn’t slide through the tool as smoothly as the drill rod did. On the other hand, the duller material looks way more authentic than the shiny drill rod, so I think I’m going to ask my buddies in Sweden to look for something similar. It should hopefully be easier to find metric material over there, if not I can always etch the drill rod to make it less shiny.
The following 5 members says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

Very, very nice process, tools, and results. My hat's off to ya--great when a labor of love (obsession?) pays off!

David
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts

ditto! Nice to see.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #46
LWaali
User

Brilliant!
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Very, very nice process, tools, and results. My hat's off to ya--great when a labor of love (obsession?) pays off!

David
It is actually some kind of obsession. You wouldn't think that it's difficult to bend a piece of wire, but when you consider that it has to be bent in the right places, to the right radius, with the right spacing between the legs and be nice, straight and square when it's done... I knew that it could be done so I just had to figure out how, that's the way I'm wired.
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #48
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Really Nice custom machine work... we are proud of your efforts to create a part as close to the original as possible...

Now, did anybody check with LugerDoc (Tom Heller) to see if he doesn't have a big box of these laying around his shop?

BTW, Gun Parts Corporation lists this part as available on their website for $14.90

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/200270.htm

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #49
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Really Nice custom machine work... we are proud of your efforts to create a part as close to the original as possible...

Now, did anybody check with LugerDoc (Tom Heller) to see if he doesn't have a big box of these laying around his shop?

BTW, Gun Parts Corporation lists this part as available on their website for $14.90

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/200270.htm
Now, where's the sport in buying them already made? Seriously, there are loops available but they are pulled from parted out guns so supplies will dry up sooner or later. Also, I wanted to make one that's an easier retrofit than an original part that has already been staked and then pulled out. I made mine with chamfered ends to make it easy to install, and they will hopefully look better than a used part as well. I'm not sure if Numrich carries used or repro, but their repros usually suck so I'm not really counting them.

And again, I really wanted to find out how to do it. There's many different guns with missing loops and it's really tedious to make one-offs, so a large part of the process was to get the method nailed down for future projects. I'm not doing it to get rich, I just enjoy tinkering with stuff like this.
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #50
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You have an enormous talent along those lines. All of us that have obsolete firearms NEED people like you that can help us keep our firearms complete.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #51
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Olle, I have a similar project on the shelf but it's been sitting because my 1-ton press isn't strong enough. What did you use to press/bend the rod through the first set of dies [pg 2]???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #52
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Olle, I have a similar project on the shelf but it's been sitting because my 1-ton press isn't strong enough. What did you use to press/bend the rod through the first set of dies [pg 2]???
I just used a large bench vise. I don't know how much pressure it generates, but (even if it has been a while) I can't recall it being extremely hard to turn the handle. There was quite a bit of initial resistance, but once the rod started to bend it just slid right through. IIRC, there was a bit of trial and error before I had the clearances figured out, there's a fine line between getting sharp bends and not being able to push through at all. The only major difference the clearance makes is in the radius, so if you add clearance you will probably have to reduce the radius of the "ram" as well. The loop will spring back and won't be 100% square after pressing it anyway, so the legs will have to be squared up after pressing regardless of clearance.

Beveling sharp edges and polishing the bearing surfaces really helped more than anything, so that's something you might want to try first of all (if you haven't already). Some copper grease might also help.

Tags
blivet