LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
crazywolf
User

Default sending my snail drum back

well my snail drum from numrich came today.while it seams to be very well made it doesn't fit in the mag well of my 1917 artillery luger.it only go's in about a 1/4 of and inch and that's it so back it go's.think I will start saving for a real one next year.hope that others who order one of these have better luck then I did.crazywolf
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Kitkat041836
RIP

I had no problem with mine in my 1917 Artillery it went in as smooth as silk and worked just great. I shot all 32rd as fast as
I could and it did not miss a beat.I would try another Luger if
it were me.
Thanks,George Fortier
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

CW
:
Jerry B. was interested in buying those at $200 IF you wanted to keep the loader:

"Here's a deal I doubt anyone will take me up on but I would pay $200 for any Numrich drum. You keep the loader..I get your drum ..we both get a bargain! I would LOVE to fill one of my reproduction P-Kasten boxes with 5 of these drums!
All in all I am surprised these are being offered at this price..The last batch were decent enough for the average range shooter.
Have fun out there! "

I'm still waiting for my second one.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Also, any chance your grip screw is sticking thru too far and impeding the mag. body?
dju
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
crazywolf
User

checked that and all the other mags I have slide right in and drop free when you hit the mag release.and I'm sending it back for full refund.will save up to buy an org snail drum and loader next year.was worth taking a chance think it was mentioned that others found that their mag wouldn't fit in their luger to. I have other lugers but really wanted it for my artillery if it doesn't fit that one back it go's. an it didn't fit in my other lugers ether seems the back of the mag is to thick it starts in all my pistols but stops after a 1/4 inch or less on all of them.crazywolf
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
flytrout
User

Default Numrich Drum

I looked on Gun Parts Corp and could not find a Numrich repo luger drum. Are they on back order?
flytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrout View Post
I looked on Gun Parts Corp and could not find a Numrich repo luger drum. Are they on back order?
Check the "new items" link on the main web page.

Otherwise, I'll bet these oversize drum mag bodies would fit the stainless Lugers, which have mag wells slightly larger than originals.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Where there any differences between the 2 models besides the different levers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drums.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	36429  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Lugerlover
User

I received mine today. It also won't fit in several different Lugers. This one also won't accept a cartridge at all with or without the loader. It will never be mistaken for a real one. The loader seems well made although it seems to be made of a lighter steel than the originals. This one is going back. I have had several real ones and never had a problem.
Lugerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
flytrout
User

Thanks guys for saving me some heart aches and money. I too will save for a org. one.
flytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
ark
User

After a long wait my Numrich drum finally arrived, however, it will not fit the mag well of any of my Lugers. It will be returned; I should listened and saved myself a lot of grief.
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I posted this in another thread, but am re-posting it here. As far as a lot of grief, what grief was involved?

"I just wanted to update you all on the second repro. snail drum that I received from Numrich on about 10/1/2013. It appears to be of the same quality as the first, as in not perfect but at least interesting and functional.
There is an uneven gap in the mag. body and the cover plate towards the bottom edge, but you have to look pretty close.
As for function, I was doubting that it would be long enough in the main channel to hold standard length ammo. This one will not hold my normal 1.174" FJM reloads (or factory stuff), but it will accept stuff down around 1.12" OAL, so I can squeeze rounds down to fit.
I took it to the local range fully loaded, and it went well, with one stove pipe, but even that one is probably not the mag's fault, possibly gun or ammo. length issue. Of course no last shot hold-open.
I dearly wish that they would send those out with the keeper slot not finished, because they put it too high, causing the mag. to hang just a bit low, negating the hold-open device. If they let us finish filing the slot out to fit our pistols, this would work, but once they punch it out too high, there is no fixing it.
But overall I'd say that this is a keeper. It could be better at virtually no addl. cost of manufacture, but it beats paying for, and risking breaking, an original. And the loading tool really is slick.
I'm not certain if this one is better than the first one that I did return, but I could get rounds into this one, so it certainly seems better. Whether it has been corrected OR if I've just figured out how to load it is still up for debate...
Mine fits a bit loose in both the 1936 Mauser and the late WW1 Artillery. No problems getting the mag. into the gun.

Let me know if you have any questions.
dju "

Last edited by DavidJayUden; 10-09-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Mckenzie
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tried my numrich mag and loader today. mag is a very tight fit in my mauser luger frame. rest of luger is a mixmaster of parts. after figuring out how loader works i loaded seventeen rounds of reloads. one round failed to eject all others went bang. i don't have my other lugers with right now so can't say if it will fit in them. like i said it is a very tight fit, had to work it in and out many times before it would lock in place. as most know loader spring has to be wound before loading. if mag fits my other original lugers i will keep. i can't afford three thousand for originals. john
Mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

The upper reach of the follower slot could be lowered by adding material back to its edge by TIG welding, then finishing off flush with the inner and outer surfaces.

I wonder if G.T. might be able to re-shape the body around a mandrel. If it is too big in either direction, it might turn out to be too small in the other--this would account for the extra material creating the overage, and the extra material could be "moved" to the short way by re-shaping the cross-section slightly. And perhaps a standard, functioning mag body could be substituted for the offending repro's original one.

I wouldn't mind messing with the unit, since it's a repro...just would want it to fit and function. The savings in purchasing one of these could absorb any necessary modifications' costs, up to the point of reaching the value of an original, or even one of the previously existing repros that were out there, as either would cost hundreds more. It seems likely that trading a bad new one in for another new one would pay off in the luck of the draw--if some of this batch work, and some don't, maybe they'd send a good one for a replacement.

Has anyone contacted Numrich about this problem? It would seem to me that if they measured the ones on hand to weed out the over-size ones, it would save them time, consternation, and money.

D.P.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Mckenzie
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

i called numrich today. they said they have only had three returns out of many sold. they have a thirty day return policy. if i didn't have any mechanical skill i would send it back. for the price it works for me. john
Mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mckenzie for your post:
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
cneider
User

So is anyone getting a snail drum carrier from IMA to go with these? http://www.ima-usa.com/german-m-1916...m-carrier.html
cneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

They are interesting if authenticity is not a concern for you.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
cneider
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
They are interesting if authenticity is not a concern for you.
I've heard that about them before. I bought this last summer.
http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwii-p...r-holster.html My Luger is really loose and sloppy in it. It fits my Walther P38 much better.
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
cneider
User

Mine just arrived today. I am NOT impressed! It binds in my Artillery model Luger and my 1920's .30 Luger alphabet series.

Also, what length cartridges are the rest of you loading in this repro magazine? My reloads are 1.115" OAL. Factory specs allow up to 1.169" OAL according to my reloading guide for that cartridge. The cartridges bind in the magazine. I don't even want to bother taking it out to the range.

G.T. have you worked any of these Numrich repro snail drum magazines?

It was a noble venture, but I may have to wave the white flag and send this one back.
Unread 12-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default repro drums....

I had one seen one of the first sales batch and it had all the issues described in detail above.. as in many Luger flights of fancy... they stop about 10% short on quality.. thus negating the whole effort... ... I wish I had their backing... ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: