LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Default Mauser C77 Hinterladung and Wilhelm Mauser

Dear All,
In our new book on Paul Mauser, the German inventor and industrialist is for sure the main actor of the book however we also spend time analyzing in details the relationship between Paul and his brother Wilhelm (chapter The Mauser brothers and Oberndorf – page 75 - 83).

The relationship between the two men was a difficult one and we use Paul Mauser diaries notes and original letters exchanged between the two brothers to explain this. This difficult relationship will continue also after the death of Wilhelm (1882) between Paul Mauser and the son of Wilhelm, Alfons.

In any case, in the first years of the Mauser story, until Wilhelm passed away in 1882, the two brothers worked together and, speaking about pistols, Wilhelm was involved with Paul in the design and production of two models the C77 and the C78 (Zig-Zag).

In the book, the Zig-Zag revolver enthusiasts can find an interesting amount of original letters, for the first time available, fully translated, between Paul and Wilhelm related to the production and marketing of the C78 revolver (chapter Marketing the Zig-Zag Revolver – page 191 - 203).

I am presenting here a very rare set composed by the single-shot Hinterladung (rear-loader) Mauser C77 pistol together with the unique letter available in the Paul Mauser archive where Wilhelm Mauser describes this pistol to a Swedish governmental representative – note the Wilhelm signature at the end with “Waffenfabrikant”.

The letter is quite long and in the beginning Wilhelm discussed about rifles but, almost at the end of the letter, he introduces the “new” pistol, stressing the advantage of the his design. The full translation of the letter is available at page 90 of the book.

The Mauser c77 is the first pistol produced by the two Mauser brothers and only a few are today reported. The total production is around 150 pistols concentrated in 1877-78. The complete explanation about the very effective loading mechanism is available in the book.

In the book, the reader can also see when the first C77 has been sold and to whom based upon the data of the sale books.

I guess all the Mauser collectors will be happy to see together this rare pistol and the even rarer unique letter. See also: www.paul-mauser-archive.com

I hope you enjoy,

Mauro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C77 - 1 PM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	66065  

Name:	C77 - 2 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	66066  

The following 9 members says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 05-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
mauro

I have taken some more pics of the pistol details.
Enjoy,
Mauro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barrel sn PM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	66067  

Name:	C77 Back PM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	66068  

Name:	C77 PM Archive.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	66069  

Name:	Patent Marks Red PM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	66070  

Name:	Serial Number PM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	66071  

The following 7 members says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 05-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I celebrate with Mauro acquisition of this very rare Mauser pistol.

I know that, for Mauro, this represents the other "bookend" of Mauser made handguns. In addition to having the first Mauser designed handgun, Mauro's earlier work was with the "Mauser Parabellum" effort in Oberndorf, representing the last Mauser made handgun.

The C77 posed an interesting problem when we were working on the book since, at that point, we didn't have access to one "in hand" and could only examine one in a nearby museum... Now that has been resolved!
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
mauro

Dear All,
I would like to inform you that on the next issue of the magazine "Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector" a new article about the Hinterladung (rear-loader) Mauser C77 pistol written by myself and Gerben will be available.

The article summarizes the status of the research about this rare pistol in the Mauser Archive.

The article contains new unpublished data that has been found after that the book "Paul Mauser - His Life, Company, and Handgun Development 1838 - 1914" (www.paul-mauser-archive.com) was published; therefore the new data is not contained in the book chapter covering the C77 design and production. The article is therefore a good add-on to what described in the book.

A big thank to Marc Erickson for the help.

Good read!

Mauro
The following 3 members says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
mauro

Dear All,
I have received today the magazine "Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector" (Vol. 40, No. 2 April 2018) that contains the mentioned article on the Mauser C77 at page 14-18.
I hope you find interesting the new finds on this rare pistol from the Paul Mauser Archive.
Cheers,
Mauro