LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-11-2001, 12:00 PM   #1
Jeff
User

Default Black Luger Grips

I recently aqquired a Luger Pistol that has black plastic(maybe bake-a-lite) grips. There are continuous straight grooves running from the top of the grip to the bottom. Is this a type of grip refered to as the "Black Widow"? Are they military, commercial or after-market? I have not removed the grips to check for any identifying marks as I do not wish to disassemble the weapon. Any info pertaining to these grips would be helpful.

Unread 03-11-2001, 12:27 PM   #2
Ted
User

Default Re: Black Luger Grips

Becareful if you ever take those grips off. They can stick to the frame close to the safety lever and break that little corner area right off! Especially if they have been on the gun very long. Ted

Unread 03-11-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
Craig
User

The black widow grips are the ww2 German plastic grips.

The grips on your pistol sound like postwar recent Russian imports. Does your pistol have an import stamp on the bottom of the barrel? I've got a pair of straight line grips on a Century Arms import.

I've got another set of plastic Russian grips where the checkering diamonds are sharp and tall and in wavy lines. That grip mold checkering must have been done by a vodka loving worker on monday morning.

Unread 03-11-2001, 06:07 PM   #4
bcc

I agree that these sound like Russian re-work grips. I feel like these pistols were re-worked in the late 40's or early 50's and put into storage for future support to RED insurgencies etc...This grip style was pehaps inspired by the 1933 Tokarave (sp) design and IMO are classic Russian design for robustness and big hands! I would say that maybe 75% of the Russian imports had this style of grip and the others were original wood or checkered blk plastic, both WWII German and Russian interpretation. Most of these re-works show the signs of harsh capture/storage conditions prior to rework and I would Imagine that many of the original wood grips were in no condition to salvage after what these guns went through.

Unread 03-11-2001, 07:51 PM   #5
Jeff
User

Thanks for the info. It does have an import stamp so it is probably a Russian rework.