LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-30-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Jon Cagle
New User

Question new w/?

Greetings group:

New to the group.

I am seeking to learn more about the history of the Luger and eventually obtain one to have and the every once in awhile trip to the gun range to shoot.

What advice or direction would you give to a newbie like me, to acheive the above.

Thanks
jon
Jon Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Russ
User

Hi Jon
Welcome to the forum. First I would read all the posts here and at jans sight. Then decide what era of luger you want. Find a collecter in your AO and try and learn and buy from them.

Russ
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jon,

First welcome to the Luger Forum. I think you've come to the right place to get some assistance in your quest for your first Luger.

As you can tell from the various categories there are many different classifications of Lugers from Pre WWI, to WWI, Weimar Republic, WWII and Post WWII Lugers. Each group has it's fans and fanatics. Some collectors cross the lines of all the different Lugers.

I would first try to get an idea of your first interest by reading the comments in the various Forum Sections. Then invest in some good books on the General Subject and then further on the specific area of your interest.

When you get to the book buying portion, search the archives for recommendations. This subject has been covered in depth.

GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

Default Impulsive...

Hi Jon,

Or you can be impulsive like I was 3 years ago. Went out an bought a NIB luger (from Mr. Tom Heller on the Fourm) made by Mauser in the 1970-80's (at that time for $ 850), a 6" swiss style, 9mm and made it my first shooter.

Got hooked, then bought nearly 60 luger books and a few other collectible lugers and holsters along the way.

Cannot say how many...as my wife is sometimes known to read the Forum...and I do not want her to really know what I have been up to...

Be forewarned...this Luger hobby is addictive and can be pricey...

Get your first luger and find out why many of us look forward to taking some of our pistols out of our gun safes...!!!

Welcome to the Luger Forum...

Regards,

Pete...

Last edited by Pete Ebbink; 12-31-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Steve Richards
User

I agree with Pete. Buy one to have to shoot, take apart and generally play with. Anything in the $400.00-$700.00 range will do if it is mechanically sound. In that price range, don't worry about matching numbers and such. Just a good solid gun. The Mausers from Tom Heller are a little above that price but worth it if you have the dollars. The stainless guns are a little less than the Mausers.

This is not a cheap hobby if you want very good quality. That is why my two vintage guns are nowhere near mint but are still nice to have and shoot.

Then get the books and go to shows and look. The E-Books by Gerard Henrotin are a good place to start. Check the Links and Resources to the left.

After doing some shooting and reading, take off in the direction that your interest leads. I like the pre-WWII and the stainless guns.

Welcome to our little on-line insane assylum!

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Navy
RIP

Buy books first. Then read and study books. Go to collector shows and ask lots of annoying questions of graybeard old farts such as yours truly. Buy more books, some on European military and political history from 1880 through 1950. These will provide context.

After you have done your homework, begin deciding how you wish to approach Lugers,'cuz you will never be able to own one of every recognized variation.

You may wish to buy a shooter to play with. For this, I would recommend the best 1920 commercial you can find. While they are quite common now, they won't be in another 5-10 years and their value will continue to increase.

Always buy a contemporary holster with the pistols you acquire...while the values of the pistols has done very well the last few years, the value of leather has been climbing astronomically.

And as a final piece of advice, always buy the very best condition available; 98-99% guns that are completely original are always in demand by senior collectors and will usually command a premium of 20-25% over the same gun in 90-95%.

My zwei pfennigs

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
the gunman
User

Tom as one old (FART to another Your advise is right on)
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:50 AM   #8
pipeman45
User

Quick save yourself. If you do get that first one- it will only lead to a second. Then there are the books,(note to self) must get more books. Holsters,well that can turn into a whole new addiction all by itself. If its too late for you, like most here. Welcome to the madhouse.