LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-07-2001, 09:09 PM   #1
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Mauser Banner markings

Gentlemen:

First of all, thanks to Robert,mcc,tony k and Frank for your help with the byf magazine markings query, neat stuff. Well, my question for this evening revolves around a 7.65mm Mauser Banner 1939 serial# 6423v. I believe it is a contract gun. The markings are interesting, consisting of three figures stacked one on the other. The top figure is a pentagon within a pentagon with all of the appecies connected. The symbol beneath this appears to be a crown consisting of three separate segments. Finally the bottom symbol is a U.There might even be a small circle in the center of the U.The figures are on the left side of the receiver and the left side of the breach block.The figures looks something like the commercial proof mark C/U on page 1 of Still's "Third Reich Lugers" but without the cross on the top of the top figure.All of the serial mumbers match on this gun although there is no two digit number on the extractor.Is the missing serial number here unusual? The piece has two serial number matching clips, one with the number 1 and the other with the number 2 on it.The holster is brown leather with the letters PB26 inside a rectangle box, in black ink, inside of the cover flap. Is there any way of guessing which group such weapons went to? Thanks for the information!!

Ray

Unread 05-07-2001, 10:33 PM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Mauser Banner markings

Ray, The double crown over U horizontal markings that your describe on your luger, sound very much to me like VOPO (E. German Police) acceptance. Hard to say for sure without seeing a photo.

Unread 05-07-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
bill m
User

Default Re: Mauser Banner markings

Ray,

Your Luger with serial number 6423 V is right in the middle of the 1937 dated commercial range, with only one other dated 1939. The 1 and 2 on the magazines indicated that these are police magazines, but Mauser only used 9mm for the police guns. I seriously doubt that your magazines are correct.