LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Animal5150
User

Default My .22LR Stoeger Luger

Hi all!
So I got my Dads' old Luger and pulled it apart to clean it. The sear bar became disengaged and i can not get it back in! I keep jarring it loose when i try to attach it to the trigger, where its supposed to go, per the directions. Any help is appreciated...Im thinking it may just be a sprung spring....anyone had this problem?
Animal5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Assuming you mean the sear bar on the upper receiver and not the "L" shaped transfer bar inside the sideplate;

If your sear bar popped completely off the upper frame then it had to have come out from under the sear spring, perhaps breaking it in the process.
Is your sear spring still present? Does it have a slight curl at its end?
If the spring is still intact, you will have to remove it from the dovetail slot in the frame by working it forward off the upper receiver. Once the spring has been removed you can properly seat the sear bar into its channel, (it should slide in at an angle). Once the sear bar is in, then replace the sear spring by reversing the procedure for removing it. The sear spring is what holds the sear bar in place. Without it, the sear would just drop out.

Good Luck!

Just realized this is for a .22 Sorry.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Is this an Erma 22??? I don't know what brand/mfg Stoeger imported...but if it's an Erma, I have instructions & pics for disassembly/assembly...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Stoeger produced their own version of a .22 "Luger" because they owned the legal rights to the name Luger in the USA. It bears no relationship in design to the Erma .22 toggle action guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pop_wm_995167.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24304  

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Animal5150
User

yes John is correct....and alan yes the spring is present, no curl at end though....I can move it back and forth on the pin, if that makes a difference. It seems like the bar should be held in with tension and thats why I think it maybe the spring...the lack of retention from tension....if that makes sense...lol

Also THANX FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!!!
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Animal5150
User

heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ruger #1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	24311  

Unread 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Stoeger produced their own version of a .22 "Luger" because they owned the legal rights to the name Luger in the USA. It bears no relationship in design to the Erma .22 toggle action guns.
Oops, John, you meant other than the toggle style blowback design, right? In both of these wannabe renditions, the toggles jump up and down in simulation of the action of real Luger toggles. But the toggles in neither the Erma nor Stoeger toggles have anything to do with locking the breech the way the big boys do, with their below-the-centerline position of the middle toggle pin. Nor do the .22's toggles come anywhere near the "ears"/ramps on the top end. They don't have to; since they're not locked, they don't need to be influenced to unlock.

I've not had the opportunity to examine a Stoeger .22 in person yet, much less strip it to examine its mechanics. They certainly look way different from Ermas in the images I've seen online, in respect to several regions on the top end, the toggles, themselves, in particular. I also think their grip setup is pretty ugly, with that little screw in the middle of them. Thanks for posting the photo of the action (?) of the Stoeger. To tell the truth, I'm having a hard time deciphering exactly what I'm seeing in it. How about a short pic essay on it, so we can be oriented a bit better?
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post:
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Animal5150
User

what we are looking at is the firing assembly....the spring in question is the coil spring that you see. The instructions say that should the sear bar (the back half is shown on the right side...the piece with the pin attached) can be reinstalled by placing the rearmost pin (theres only 1) under the arm of the coil spring and it shows a diagram.....I assemble it to the diagram and the rear pin jostles loose and falls when i try to attach the front of the sear bar to the trigger.
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No oops. While all use a "toggle" the manner of construction and function is entirely different.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Stoeger produced their own version of a .22 "Luger" because they owned the legal rights to the name Luger in the USA...
Thanks for your correction, John!

Stoeger actually had manufacturing capability??? Their own shop??? Or did they farm it out to some machine tool concern???

I recognize the name but have never had occasion to deal with them...I don't think I've even had one of their catalogs...
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I little Company history for the academics out there:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/inf...er-history.php
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Animal5150
User

Does anyone have any idea where to get parts for this gun? Im pretty sure I need a new coil spring...cant find it on Brownells...any help is appreciated!
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Try gunpartscorp.com ...the exploded parts diagrm is here: ( http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=10430 )

They don't have many springs left available, but it never hurts to ask...and of course, you could try contacting Stoeger themselves... they may still have some parts laying around.

You might also try Wolff Springs... they may have manufactured what you are looking for, or may have offered replacement springs in the past.

Unread 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

My point about similarities/differences among Stoeger, Erma, and original Luger was that the later wannabes with toggle systems is that their toggles do not lock the breech by the knee joint locking provided by the originals. They are blowback actuated. Since neither locks like the original Luger, their toggles don't interact with the ramps, and their top ends are effectively in fixed position during the cycle. The similarity in toggle design between the Ermas and the Stoegers is that neither needs to be cammed out of battery position by encountering toggle ramps as the entire top end recoils back in the frame.
Thanks for the link to exploded view, John. Combined with Mike's description, I can now understand better what I'm looking at in Mike's pic. The spring in question is #60 in the exploded view?
The exploded view shows a major design difference, compared to Ermas--the main recoil spring is in the handle, as the originals, and not tucked horizontally into the top end, like the Ermas. The sear setup, linkage to trigger, pressed toggle parts, etc. are different, too, but the main spring was the first thing I noticed.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post:
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
I little Company history for the academics out there:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/inf...er-history.php
Doesn't read like they actually made anything...just brokered imported guns...nothing wrong with that...

But I still wonder who or what company actually manufactured these 22 'Lugers'...

When I was in California in 1970, I bought my father a nice .22 cal revolver, in the SSA style, called a "Hy-Hunter"...No other mfg marking...I eventually found it was made by Sauer & Sohn...
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
mlmahon
User

The Stoeger .22 was designed and built by Stoeger in the USA. Introduced in 1968 and made until the mid 1970's.

Here'a closeup of mine showing the manufacturer.

-ML
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wm_2631337.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	24360  

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Animal5150
User

yep mimahon...thats what mine looks like...thanks for all the info guys! I will keep you all posted on the rebuild for sure...couldnt do it without ya!!
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Animal5150
User

Ok folks...so I looked on gunpartscorp.com and also on wolff springs....cant find the coil spring anywhere....any ideas?
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,676 Posts

Are both "legs" of the spring the same length? Is there any chance you re-installed it upside down or backwards?
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
padredan
User

Thats the one i have, i know it is not a locked breach, but the toggle action works the same when fired, or so i thought. In the picture you can see the spent cartridge and the action starting to close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00 215.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	24767