LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
During WW2 Mauser increased the strength of the PO8 recoil spring from 19 turns to 21, so that use of the hotter WW2 SMG ammo would not damage the pistol. This is probably the root of the "hot ammo" myth.
LugerDoc:

Yes, the recoil spring in my byf 41 does have 20.4 coils but it is drawn from obviously smaller diameter wire than my DWM 1916.

Harry E. Jones in his book "Luger Variations", Volume 1, page 30, has a thorough analysis of the recoil springs from all of the various Luger models. This analysis was done with the help of a Baldwin Tate Load Indicator and a Reicherter Elasticometer, so the results "should" be credible.

Here are some highlights:

Model Wire Dia. Turns Length Poundage

1906 Brazilian .060 15 2.625 65

1908 (P-08) .058 17 3.20 56-57

7.65 & 9mm .060 17.25 3.15 60

1934 Mauser .058 20.4 3.50 58.2

As you can see, there was no "real" increase in spring poundage over the years, per Jones' analysis, anyway.

Also, WWII German machine gun ammo was uniformly made with lacquered steel cases. These would jam in the Luger. Special brass cased pistol ammo was made for P-08 usage, as I have seen many original boxes of WWII ammo so marked.

One thing that I'm sure we can all agree on is that when you open up a Luger, you really don't know just what type of spring you will find! Also, no doubt, the actual quality of the springs used must have gone down hill during war time production.

I might add, that the 9mm Interarms Parabellum spring you sold me several years ago works perfectly in my 1917 DWM (with either light target loads or my WWI German military clone handloads) and it is quite a bit "heavier" than my original byf 41 recoil spring!!!!! Go figure.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 08-06-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #22
Sieger
User

Hi All:

Do you remember who said...."if you repeat the big lie long enough, everyone will soon believe it."

Well, perhaps this is a good example.

From Guns & Ammo, October 1968, page 57, "Ten Most Asked Questions About Lugers, written by "noted Luger expert" Michael Reese:

Question 10: Why does the Luger malfunction?

"American ammunition today is not quite hot enough for the Luger mechanism. By this, I mean 1,150 to 1,200 fps on 124 grain and 115 grain American ammunition is not so "hot" compared to the 1,400 fps 124 grain German manufacture. German contract ammunition during WWII was 1,400 fps on 115 grain."

Well, gentlemen, the Germans never even produced such a load!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
LugerVern
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundogblue View Post
Hi All,
The luger would'nt fire two rnds in a row, the gun would either stove-pipe, or fail to eject the empty case from the chamber!! :
Some good advice in previous posts:

Clean all the old grease from the gun, look at the extractor and make sure there is not a build up of grease under it, this happens a lot and can cause much trouble. It might even be desirable to remove it and then clean to make sure all the hardened grease is gone.

A build up of grease can damage your breach block.

During your next shooting with normal ammunition place a small section of paper behind the rear toggle on the frame. The toggle should smash it on recoil but not bit though completely. If it does then your springs are weak and should be replaced.

Stove piping can be caused by the extractor holding onto the bullet too tightly and raising the tip of the bullet during recoil causing a jam. It can also be caused by a weak main spring, the toggle impacts the rear of the frame and slams forward at increased speed, this strips the bullet from the magazine faster than normal and the bullet impacts the top of the chamber.

Of course magazines can cause the same problem, the latching notch on the mag can cause a higher than normal angle causing much of the same problems,

Just some ideas-Good luck

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote