LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #21
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Storms like this are extremely difficult to predict. Just to many factors. Better to ere on the side of caution. I personally feel the coverage has been excellent. Storm may still get bad for Georgia and the Carolina's. I only hope they also have a flop. Bill
Unread 09-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #22
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlyon View Post
Storms like this are extremely difficult to predict. Just to many factors. Better to ere on the side of caution. I personally feel the coverage has been excellent. Storm may still get bad for Georgia and the Carolina's. I only hope they also have a flop. Bill
If you're referring to the MSM, the coverage has been idiotic - as usual. They had somebody on the beach talking about how bad it was and how it was going to get worse when it was "peak wind" of 45 MPH and it was obvious by that time that the whole mess was going to bypass us. Yet there they are, spinning and hyping, hyping and spinning.

Back in the day, when I had inside knowledge of a "newsworthy event", they'd ALWAYS get something wrong, usually something minor that didn't really matter. But I could count on the gist of the story being more-or-less accurate.

Now? There's ALWAYS hype and spin - I don't trust the news media as far as I can throw them after listening to their "bull" about, again, situations that I had inside knowledge of.

Yes, a storm like this is extremely unpredictable, and everyone needs to be ready for it. "I shaved my legs for nothing", but would rather be prepared than caught flat footed. Media and Politicians both contribute little to the situation, hearing about TEOTWAWKI every single time makes their gum flapping meaningless. I saw the same thing when I lived in California, and you DON'T want to get me started on the fiasco of the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 - the politicians acted like Nazis and the media was in the wrong place worried about the wrong things - and it was much better in those days!

Read the NWS/NOAA websites, all the info is there without the hysteria, hype, and spin.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

We were blessed. We went to our daughters' home which was up to code last year and not a problem! just returned to our home house. Our house built thirty years ago with no storm shutter or hurricane windows! It wasn't touched and even had power. I said a Prayer of Thanks! I'm going to leave my lugers packed tight till next month!!! Eric & Debby~
Attached Images

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 09-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Hurricane Tract https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...cast-wednesday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	77802  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #25
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Well, it's coming my way toward Wilmington now... Hoping for another miss, but last year's storm made the area into an island...

I no longer bother watching the legacy media. All they are about is instilling fear. Thankfully there are good direct websites with factual information like:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...nd120#contents
The following 3 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: