LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts
Default Boulder, Colorado, my home town.

A lot of people think of Boulder as a hippy paradise, full of pot smoking idlers lecturing those who wear fur and eat meat. While it's true that Boulder is home to Naropa University, a Buddhist school, it's also home to Soldier of Fortune magazine!
Boulder became famous when Frank Shorter, a Boulder native, won the Olympic Marathon at the Munich games in 1972 and endurance athletes of all disciplines and nationalities have trained here ever since, attracted by the great weather and high altitude. It has a low crime rate and very relaxed public nudity laws. It's no accident that Boulder has been named the happiest town in the U.S.
We moved here almost 30 years ago, our only regret is that we didn't do so earlier.
Norm
P.S. It has no Walmart!
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 09-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Roadster 02
User

I'm ecstatic for you, if you are happy there that's all that matters! As for me, no thanks, the place leans so far left, you go in counterclockwise circles.
Roadster 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I wonder how long it will take the Boulder city council to follow up on their sister city and declare all NRA Members to be domestic terrorists?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
4 Scale
User

I have never lived in Boulder but I worked there for years in the 1980s. My brother lives there now. I go up there every chance I get. It is a pretty tolerant community.

My boss was very conservative, Many conservatives live there and they love it. CU President is as conservative as they get. Boulder's big problem is, housing is expensive because so many people want to live there and the city strictly controls growth so as to not foul their nest.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Sharpsdressed Man
User

How is for open carry, concealed carry, extra municipal gun restriction laws, and available shooting ranges? Of course you can't shoot and smoke weed at the same time......
Sharpsdressed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I used to work for a large computer company that had a fenced compound just North of Boulder, and so have visited many times. It's a great city and a beautiful area.

I do remember the altitude, and how it made my aerobic workouts a bit more difficult...
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

There is a really nice little gun shop, “Gunsport of Colorado”, in Boulder and I have picked up a few neat things there. Our son and his family (our only grandchildren) lived in Boulder for several years and during that time I visited them, the gun shop, and with great pleasure, Norm and his gracious wife. Alas, our Boulder family has moved to Columbus, OH, so I have lost the incentive to drive 12 hours to Boulder. But I did enjoy the town and its amenities for a while (I will miss visiting you Norm, but see you in Louisville).
Ron
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsdressed Man View Post
How is for open carry, concealed carry, extra municipal gun restriction laws, and available shooting ranges? Of course you can't shoot and smoke weed at the same time......
To be honest Greg, I don't know what the gun carry laws are around here, I've never seen anyone carry, I mean why would you? What are you afraid of?
I do shoot quite a bit at my place, which I know is legal as long as the bullets don't leave the property. The same is also true with tobacco and weed, you can buy all you want, you just can't smoke it outside.
Norm
Unread 09-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Roadster 02
User

Best reply question is, why wouldn't you carry?. Why would you carry a pocketknife? Can of Mace? In case you needed it, right? Just a tool like any other. Modern version of a slingshot. It is an option available to all as stated in the Constitution.
Roadster 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post:
Unread 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, I love that you love Boulder. But you are seriously deluding yourself. Carrying concealed here would seem prudent like it is in many lawless communities in America.A quick search reveals the truth.
Relative to Colorado, Boulder has a crime rate that is higher than 78% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes. ... The chance that a person will become a victim of a violent crime in Boulder; such as armed robbery, aggravated assault, rape or murder; is 1 in 367. Boulder, CO crime analytics The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Boulder is 1 in 32. Based on FBI crime data, Boulder is not one of the safest communities in America.
Paradise lost...

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You're right of course, Jerry. It just amazes me that so many people want to live in this dangerous, rat infested jungle.
Norm
Unread 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, It is what it is. Not that much different than where we all live. Utopia is rarely real, only in our minds. It amazes me that you live in a city that has a crime rate that is higher than 78% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes and don't realize it, then go on record bragging about the land of milk & honey. Or know anything about it's gun laws. You SURE you live in Boulder?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
HerrKaiser
User

Really guys, here? I get that we are passionate about our lives and this hobby as well as how they intersect. But this type of petty squabbling on here is both counterproductive to our almost certainly shared cause, and not a good look to any guests who might be trying to glean information on Lugers from browsing this forum.

Can you please hash this out like grown adults in your PM’s, or take this to another host forum?

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It's General Discussions. FACTS are now what you call petty squabbling? I LIVE in this state. People should not misrepresent it's good or bad. Some people call it propaganda or fake news.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

All kidding aside, Jerry, they're very nice here. A few years ago when I did jury duty there was a sign by the metal detector at the courthouse, it read: "Please remove your weapons before entering. We regret the inconvenience". It turned out to be a big bust, there was no crime that week and I got sent home.
Norm
Unread 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #16
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The Hippies migrated up the stream (Boulder Creek) and into mountain towns like Nederland, where some still don't have hot water and go next door to shower. :-)
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, I know! I have been to Boulder many times. Never had or seen anything like trouble. But that's normal. In Yuma where I live half the year, the crime rate is so bad you would be amazed if you look on line or in the local paper. But it mostly takes place in the other end of town. Really bad there but mostly empty house burglaries in my end. Statistics can be misleading..

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The most notorious Boulder crime was the JonBenet Ramsey killing back in 2006, and then there was this one: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ticle-1.132740
Norm
Unread 09-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #19
HerrKaiser
User

Jerry,

I was not trying to dismiss facts or anything like that. As I said, we are all passionate about how our hobby and life intersects and the consequences of that. WHAT you have been saying is true and entirely relevant. I just did not gather from the exchange that you and Norme were joking with one another as it seemed antagonistic, I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

As a somewhat related note, Boulder is home to the Colorado Buffaloes.(Nice comeback win against the Huskers on Saturday, I really thought Nebraska nailed that game away after they scored on the play right after the Colorado Flea Flicker Touchdown) Much like here in Bowling Green, OH, I imagine that the high influx of college students has a major impact on Boulder's crime situation on paper. (Seeing that men under 25 are one of the highest crime demographics).
It's also readily apparent that Bowling Green to the East of Main Street is for the college kids and less well to do residents, whereas Bowling Green West of Main Street where all the local residents live is incredibly affluent and non-diverse(read, lots of rich white people). I find that last part about West BG, where many of the college professors and staff live, very funny & ironic given how much the college loves to tout those nebulous labels of "Diverse and Inclusive" when describing the city as well as the institution.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 09-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #20
Eugen
User

Wink

Norm, I'm glad you are happy living in Boulder. One should not have to live in a place that does not suit them.
As for me, I live in Illinois and have been here for about 14 years. It's a 2nd amendment hostile state, has high taxes, etc and it keeps getting worse. Once wifey retires next we are burning out of here and heading to rural Indiana. We live on the Indiana border and spent a lot of time in Indiana. I can't wait to leave Illinois permanently.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post: