LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 08-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default Why Universal Background Checks Are a BAD Idea

The mainstream media is making this look like anyone can buy a gun on the internet or a gunshow with "loopholes" with disinformation and here is why it is a really bad idea for our hobby.

First and foremost, any gun that is purchased legally from a class 1 FFL needs to have the Form 4473 filled out and the purchaser needs to pass a NICS check

See this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...d_Check_System

The killer at the movie theater in Aurora DID NOT PASS the check and the FBI fell down on providing the info to the dealer in 3 days so he got his gun.

When Devin P. Kelley turned a small-town Texas church into a bloody killing ground, he also exposed the glaring flaws of the national background check system for gun buyers. He was not reported to NICS by the Army for domestic violence.

The killer of children in Sandy Hook murdered his mother and had access to her gun safe for his evil rampage.

Guns purchased on the internet (Like Gunbroker) must go to a class 1 dealer and when you pic up a gun a NICS check is done and a transfer fee paid, I'm sure many of that have done this for a legal transfer.

Thomas Gilbert Jr. drove to rural Ohio and paid cash for a used pistol he had found on Facebook to kill his father in NY.

This was clearly an illegal sale and the seller should stand trial for selling a gun across state lines because NY requires a background check for the transfer and he would not pass the NICS check because he was mental case in his record at NICS.

So how does this effect the C&R world?

Class 1 FFL’s only have access to NICS and class 3 FFL’s ---- DO NOT HAVE ACCESS.

It would be impossible to do a background check with NICS for a C&R holder which would eliminate our hobby for legal transfers!

THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE for us, in this community!

I would advise anyone here to call their senator or congressman and object to this!

Support the NRA, they have finally convinced Trump it is a BAD idea!

How many C&R guns are used in crimes?

As far as I can tell only one from a crime in 2001.

In 2005, Robert Blake was tried and acquitted of the 2001 murder of his second wife, Bonnie Lee Bakley. On November 18, 2005, he was found liable in a California civil court for her wrongful death. --- the crime seen gun was a WWII P.38 found in a trash barrel which was untraceable.

If any Democrat is elected we are doomed with this hobby but that won't happen in the next 4 years for sure

And by any Democrat I'm also talking Senators and Congressmen we all see what the left is trying to do right now with gun rights.

Mark
The following 10 members says Thank You to MarkC for your post:
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Roadster 02
User

Do you really think any of their ideas make any sense? That is not the aim of the anti's.

Last edited by Roadster 02; 08-21-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Unread 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Mark - haven't seen you in a while - we still don't like to discuss politics on the forum

No offense, but living in MASS, I think you can't have anything shipped straight to you C&R?
When I buy a C&R, it comes straight to me, no FFL involved. Now, Washington state has become more and more California like, and I fear for my rights.

There are no simple answers, but there are some things that could help, but let me ask a question. A person who is accused of domestic violence. That is usually a misdemeanor, this should prevent someone from owning a gun?

Background checks need to include mental health information - this is a HUGE can of worms, but I am unsure how you can have 'common sense' background checks without mental health being involved in the checks.

As an aside, before the mid-term elections, I told folks that we would lose the house - folks are tired of the republicans and their anger (I am a registered republican) - everyone told me, no way, we'll gain more seats. What happened?

I think that Trump could very well lose the white house - the continual downtrodding of others and fighting over silly stuff will turn off enough republicans so they won't go vote while angering democrats and independents, and they will vote.
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 08-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Peter S
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post

No offense, but living in MASS, I think you can't have anything shipped straight to you C&R?
That's not true. There is no problem getting C&R items shipped to my door.
Unread 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
That's not true. There is no problem getting C&R items shipped to my door.
This is why I said that...

Guns purchased on the internet (Like Gunbroker) must go to a class 1 dealer and when you pic up a gun a NICS check is done and a transfer fee paid, I'm sure many of that have done this for a legal transfer.
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I post my thoughts on politics elsewhere at:

https://skilledshot.wordpress.com/

Like Ed, I think we need a place here where we don't delve into political discussions.
The following 3 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Closed Thread