LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
b0xcrash
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I was happy. But when I showed other friends my "trophy" that evening, a lady told me that she got three and paid only ¥30, from the same place.
That sucks.
It makes you feel sick, you can actually feel your stomach sink when that happens. Granted its not alot of money, but to those who are strict, careful and conservative with your money it is more than money, but principal of the fact you just been had.

It angers me when that happens, cause this was not how my parents raised me, and not how I would treat others.

I remember when I was a kid and lived in downtown Cleveland, maybe 5 or 6 years of age, and a friend down the street older than me, let me "borrow" a cool hot wheel.

We had an older home built in the early 1900's or late 1800's that had those paned glass, large and tall dual windows; they swung open like french doors, but off the ground with a window sill, so not doors, like a bay window or something...no idea what its called.
I was playing with my cars including the borrowed one, as I always did, in the ledge, since it was deep to accommodate the door size windows, and my mom walked up to me and said "Nolan, where did you get that hot wheel??" I said "Mom, it is so cool, Amy let me borrow it. I am so glad it is mine now!" my mom said "Nolan, that is Amy's she wants it back, it is not yours to keep." I then said "But Mom, she said I could borrow it....that I could have it!!" My mom then proceeded to explain the meaning of borrow, give and sell.

I felt sad at first that I had to give it back, but at the same time it was a very valuable lesson to learn, that stuck with me, about being fair, honest, to keep your word, respecting others things and not try to keep or take more than what you deserve. How you would expect to have business conducted to you.

Now if only I could go back to those days......and convince my dad to buy up some Lahti's back when they were about $100 for a complete non-molested, with no import marks as well as some other things that are collectible and those being a great heir to my son some day.
b0xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
alvin
User

I agree that your home education has certain advantage. It's nice to list low when possible. You may consider trading used car for C&R guns in future. Sometimes, I thought about this: my VW book value is only $1250 (which is so useful), cheaper than many C&R pistol (which I don't 'use').... We are spending $$ on what?? But as a gun lover, that's the fate.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
LugerVern
User

The proper pricing of older guns is mostly about education/experience.
Most people here are highly experienced and have been around guns for a long time, that is simply not true of most of the rest out there.

Our culture is changing, sure guns sale like hot cakes as is ammunition and many many people own newer guns. That does not make them experienced buyers of older guns.

Case to point: ever see a gun price go out the roof at an auction for no reason, boy I sure have!

What does a new Colt 45 ACP cost now days?
That $799 Luger most likely looked pretty reasonable to the buyer among all that high priced stuff.

It's an old trick, want to sale some old junk for a high price, stick it with some new expensive stuff.

Buyer Beware

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #24
alvin
User

What really amazes me are those "cased revolvers" on auctions. I know nothing about them and don't know how to appreciate them, so here is one observation -- so many of them carrying 5 or 6-digit price tag. Rare? maybe, but at a house's price ?? Comparing with those, Luger is a "cheap" gun. Who's selling & buying those crazy revolvers? I bet people in that field have different viewpoint.
Unread 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
glock30
User

The days of 475.00 dollar Lugers are gone, any shape , like this one. I had seen a guy out here get a Luger with a 6 inch, it was a pile of rust, there was zero blue, all brown and rusted, but the toggle worked, parts moved, he wanted 700 bucks. Personally I thought he was out of his mind. I agree with that Smilling German guy avatar with all the glasses but those are 1985 shooter prices. The internet ruined everything. Lugers are by no means rare.
glock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
alvin
User

Buying a good Luger is not easy. Amazingly, selling a good Luger is not easy either. Probably due to (1) volume; (2) price. Acquiring one or two common Lugers is OK, but if acquiring 5 or more Lugers, or acquiring a rare variation, it's a long long way to go. It's an amazing pistol, I could understand why this pistol having so many fans.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post: