LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-26-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Grips/H. Clark

Mr. Clark, got the grips today, they are beautiful on the gun. Why would have someone sanded them down anyway? Great job. Thanks

RGG

Unread 01-26-2002, 08:12 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Grips/H. Clark

A lot of times Hugh will take off the COARSE checking on some of the SARCO/Marstar repro grips, it is 18 lines per inch and the checkering on original Luger grips was 20 lines per inch I believe. I sent some of those to Hugh and they came back with the original checkering which was nicer to the eye and hand IMO. The COARSE checkering as they came from SARCO/Marstar felt like I was hold a cheese grater! When they came back from the Magician Hugh, they were PERFECT! ~Thor~~

Unread 01-26-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
Hugh
RIP

RGR; Who knows what thoughts lurk in the minds of men? NOT EVEN THE SHADOW! Maybe someone thought they felt better smooth? Anyway, I'm happy that you are pleased with them.

Unread 01-27-2002, 02:51 AM   #4
mlm

I counted the lines per inch on a bunch of luger grips of all ages (pre-1945) in the mid-1990s and was surprised to find 17.5-18.5 lpi on a lot of them. The WW1 era grips are a bit finer. I should recount the lines. Did I err in measuring? What is the convention for counting the seration's beginning point?

Dave

Unread 01-27-2002, 07:50 AM   #5
Thor
User

Dave, I could be wrong about the exact count, but I know the repros were much coarser. I will defer the actual answer of the number to Hugh, who is the grip meister. I do know that the pair he changed from me went from CHEESE GRATER ROUGH to perfect orginal checkering. These were the coco bollo (or coca cola as the joke goes) wood. The wood is very pretty actually and pretty nice for checking. He never even misses one diamond on the checkering. The man is amazing! ~Thor~

Unread 01-27-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
Hugh
RIP

Default Grip checkering :b

What you have to remember is that the Germans were not using "inches", but the metric system. They were also apparently using electric checkering machines; and the checkering on original grips is usually much coarser toward the edges than in the middle of the grip.

When I started "freshening" original grips, I found that the 18 LPI tool would begin to overrun the diamonds after about 3 or 4 lines. When I switched to the 20 LPI tool, I did not have this problem. Occasionally I have run into a pair of 18 LPI grips; these are usually on WWI guns. I have had several people contact me about "counting the lines" and coming up with 16 LPI and other spacing. All I can say is that I have checked a lot of grips with a Brownells "Checkerchex" and the originals come closer to 20 LPI than any of the others, except for the afore mentioned few.

After writing the above; I realized that I had the answer right here in my computer!

I just checked my set of Luger blueprints and found the following: Diamond width: 1.3cm; this is equilavent to 19.23 LPI. Intersecting angle of lines that form the diamond is 38 degrees.