LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 07-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Breaker_Morant
User

Question Mauser Luger problems-

I have a Mauser Luger (byf 42). It could be a Vopo re-work, but my old gunsmith didn't think so (he checked it over when I bought it). I use Mec-Gar mags.

I've been having some trouble with it lately. A few weeks back, its action got messed up. It's hard to describe it as anything other than the striker cocking out of sequence with the toggle's action. -When this occurred at the range it was locked up really tight and the trigger would not work. It took a lot of work to pull it apart and get the live round out of the chamber. At home, I disassembled the gun and then reassembled it. I hand cycled it and it seemed to work again.

I took it out to the range today to test it out. Its action worked, but it was having a lot of FTE/FTF. One round went off with a louder than usual bang and then failed to eject properly. When I got it out, the casing was deformed inwards. A piece broke off the wood grip. I was shooting quality factory ammo, but I'm aware that I may have had a bad batch.

I enjoy shooting my Luger and it is extremely accurate, but it no longer seems to function reliably. Since I live nowhere near my old gunsmith now, I was thinking of finding a new gunsmith for a check-up. Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Breaker_Morant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
My first thoughts are to your ammo. What brand of ammo were you using and how old was it? Some factory ammo might be too hot for Lugers if it was intended for use in Submachine guns... other steel case stuff (Russian Wolf brand) is not a good Luger diet.

Secondly, was the Luger clean and adequately lubricated? (The chamber should be clean, smoothe and NOT lubricated.

Mec-Gar mags are usually good, but perhaps your gun is just one of those that won't like commercial aftermarket mags...

Has it ever performed reliably? and if so, what has changed since the time that it did?

As to gunsmith suggestions, we would have to have some idea where you live, unless you would rather mail the gun to/from the 'smith.

Any chance of you posting some good closeup photographs of your gun?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dave, In what area do you live? Perhaps one of the members can recommend a gunsmith in your area. TH
Unread 07-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Breaker_Morant
User

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Let me try to answer the questions in order:

I was using Fiocchi 115gr. The ammo was about a year old. -I have used Fiocchi in the gun since I picked it up a few years ago with no problems until the recent events.

I clean my guns after every session at the range. I believe the gun was appropriately lubricated. The chamber was clean, smooth, and not lubricated with anything more than residue gun oil from the last cleaning. (I always run a dry patch through to get the excess oil.) -I don't know if this will help but I noticed the ramp got marred by the copper jacket on the rounds. I think I got most of it off. But I'll need your opinion if you think the ramp is too rough.

To be honest, I've been wondering about the mags. I have one of those ground WWII FXO mags and the gun generally worked fine with it. I bought one Mec-Gar mag and the gun worked okay. I then bought two more Mec-Gar's and the gun stopped working reliably. I thought it might be a springs issue so I stored the two mags loaded to compress the springs. It worked for a little bit but now the gun doesn't work reliably with any of the mags.

I live in Sin City. Since what happens here stays here, and I live here, I'm not sure what that means for me. ;-) I'd prefer to go to a local gunsmith if possible, but it's more important for the job to be done right then for it to be done wrong locally.

As for pics, I think I can get some up. What areas do you guys want to see?

Thanks again,

Dave
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Dave,

You will have to be a little more specific than Sin City for a local gunsmith recommendation... I have heard that label applied to more than one town.

The smeared copper on your feed ramp should not be too much of a problem. Try cleaning that area with 0000 steel wool and then lubing it and see if that helps.

Fiocchi ammo is to the best of my recollection, not generally good ammo for Lugers... I think I recall that it is underpowered compared to say, Winchester. Try the Winchester brand bulk (100) pack for about $11.00 from Wal-Mart and see if your reliability improves... many on the forum reportedly use this ammo with good results.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Breaker_Morant
User

Oh- I didn't realize any other place than Las Vegas was going by Sin City.

Regarding the ammo, I'll give the Winchester a shot. However, I think there's got to be something to it that the Luger was digesting Fiocchi fine for several years and now it's not-

Thanks for the advice on how to handle the feed ramp.

Dave
Unread 07-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Breaker_Morant
User

I spoke with the gunsmith who used to work on my stuff. He knows my particular pistol. He advised me, that given the problems I described, it was possible that the Luger was firing before the toggle block was locked in place. He told me that was "Not good!" and if I had a problem like that it could go full auto on me. -Obviously that would be bad for me and those standing around me and not just because the gun would be destroyed.

I've decided to send the gun in for a check-up and repairs. I'll write when I get more info.