LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
RES57
User

Question Questions on a luger

Hello this is RES57
I have a p08 that I always thought was a parts gun but not sure now. I have only one magazine and it matches the ser.# xx44 and has a 2 stamped above it on the aluminum bottom plate of magazine. I'm not really up on downloading pics to pages so bare with me if you will.
I'm not sure what I have. Bought it 30 years ago for a shooter and have done little of that. inside the action the slide ramp and barrel ramp don't even have the blue worn off.
The reason I thought it was a parts gun was all the numbers match all over the piece, except the 41 stamped on top of frame behind the barrel and all the other numbers end in 44. It is a mid 2thousand number ending in 44. I think that makes it a commercial gun but in 1944? how is that possible? Other marks include bottom of barrel has a crown with an N under it cross referencing marks from page makes that a 1902 to 1918 commercial barrel I think. I don't know the terms but I would call it the knuckle **** back to load on top has byf 44. On the left side of frame forward by barrel is the ser. # xx44, with an x stamped behind that larger than the numbers looks like the British liberated mark? On the right of frame has the mil. arsenal stamps of mouser factory I think. two tri planes side by side with 655 stamped below and also in the row of 3 stamps the German eagle holding the world below it. It was imported into the USA about 30 years ago by E.C.C.S.A. I think N.J. (New jersey?) I felt that really messed with the collector value if any with this but as I said I just bought it to shoot. That is on the right side ahead of the 3 stamps of 2 triplanes and eagle on top of the world. The finish on the gun is 95% or better so I think it was factory buffed and rebluled not sure because has some light pitting here and there but blueing is over the top of it. Not sure what it is but fun to shoot. Well if anyone has an interest in reading all of this and responding that would be great. I'm not really looking to sell it I bought it for my Father for his 50th birthday almost 30 years ago and he just passed away and now I have it back. He was too young for WWII but served in Korean conflict and always wanted one because his older cousins and uncles that did serve in WWII and made it back all had said they wanted to bring one back but never had the chance to find one they could pick up safely because the brass had told them all not to pick any up they didn't see fall because they would most likely have a booby trap set to it. Any way thanks for reading this.
RES57

Last edited by Edward Tinker; 11-28-2018 at 11:22 AM.
RES57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

RES57:
Hopefully a moderator will move this post to its own thread so that we can get started. But I'm getting lost in the post and have to tell you that we REALLY need photos. It's not all that hard.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The gun's upper frame at least is military, not commercial. So far, based on your description, you have a Mauser gun, (byf) made sometime in 1941, (the 44 ending of your serial number is NOT the date of manufacture. The 41 on the upper receiver behind the barrel is the date of manufacture). It has a Crown over N nitro proofed commercial barrel, which would be a replacement and a magazine numbered in the police style.

The 41 date would make it too late for a Weimar police conversion, but It may be an East German reissue, (that "X" under the barrel might indicate this). Does it have plastic grips?

As David pointed out, we really need photos to help you further.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
RES57
User

Thanks, It does have plastic grips, and the finish would look more commercial than any military surplus I have ever seen. The X is not on the under side of barrel, that is where the crown and N are stamped n for (nitro?) I think that designates it commercial? Yes I realized after posting the 44 would not have anything to do with the date. The 41 on top would be date of frame. The x is on side of frame after the serial number 2544 x. In the past with most military things I have bought at least here in USA if there is a P or x anywhere it means parts or military refurbish. The puzzlement I have is all the parts are stamped 2544 or 44 even the magizine
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
alanint
User

The "X" is indicative of the guns that were captured by the Russians at the end of WW2.

Serial numbers on captured guns where preceded or followed by an "X".
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
RES57
User

Thanks dju I'm lost on this threads reference, sorry old school used to posting on message boards that all can see and coment direct
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
RES57
User

Thanks alanint I had read that an x by serial number meant captured by one force or another. It's the only one I have now. Hey new to sight when I logged in today my I guess home page or sight said there were 16 responses and all I can find are you and dju. Any advice on how to navigate to the other threads or whatever? Maybe I should just stock it up to being old and lost on any computer and go out and shoot my guns and shut up Lol thanks anyway RES57
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
alanint
User

That's odd. You should be able to see them all in the order everybody posted. I certanly can. Maybe a site moderator will jump in here. This post will make it 22 entries to your original inquiry.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

'The puzzlement I have is all the parts are stamped 2544 or 44 even the magizine ".

No big mystery here, as the Germans stamped the big parts with the full number (frame, barrel, and barrel extension (Upper receiver) and magazine), and just the last 2 numbers on the small parts.

As Alan mentioned, the x where you describe it is indicative of Russian capture. They also re-stamped parts and magazines to match the gun, but then without seeing photos...

dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
RES57
User

Hey Thanks anyway alanint I'm just lost on what the difference is on a post and thread I guess. Gotta go for now, maybe I'll have more luck next time I log on RES57
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
tenbears
User

RES57,
Would you happen to know Alvin from Bakersfield?
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote