LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post

Welcome to New York! We hope you brought money!
i don't think that Marc is in New York, so not to sure what this means? Most states are not like this, in Tulsa, in Florida, you buy a gun from a private individual and its yours.

Here in Pennsylvania, handguns go through FFL (dealer or theirs) but rifles and shotguns, no issue.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I do not let anyone at a show (unless I know them and their experience) take anything apart. Various reasons - 1) too many tire kickers, 2) sometimes they do not or cannot put it back together, 3) sometimes they don't know how to take it apart, 4) Having to watch them closely leaves one open to problems from their friends or others. Some where else - might be different.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
what?

I have had many tables, and I'm sure not a dealer?
You might qualify as a dealer depending on your selling habits/methods/frequency etc. This can vary from state to state.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
i don't think that Marc is in New York, so not to sure what this rant means? Most states are not like this, in Tulsa, in Florida, you buy a gun from a private individual and its yours.

Here in Pennsylvania, handguns go through FFL (dealer or theirs) but rifles and shotguns, no issue.
And a record is kept of the buyer's name, and the model and serial number of the pistol.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter4206 View Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=346632456

heres the link to the select fire broom handle.

I would really like to own that handgun.......all I need now is the cash!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The production volume was near six digit. The price varies from time to time. Fully transferable ones are rare in U.S. and are expensive. A few were sold above $10,000 recently (including a rare Nickl). But I saw some of dealer-only samples offered online did not sell at $6000. Since it's a class III weapon, many collectors have to bypass it to avoid some class III related headache. There is an extra "legal fee" associated with this type of gun. I believe same is true for other class III guns.
No "Legal Fee" just a "Tax Fee" of $200, if you live in an area where you are allowed to own Title 2 stuff. ("Class 3" is a misnomer. These items are better referred to as Title 2 or simply NFA items).
The posted Schnellfeuer is a little overpriced for a Pre May Dealer Sample. I would expect a fully transferrable to go for this kind of money.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
No "Legal Fee" just a "Tax Fee" of $200, if you live in an area where you are allowed to own Title 2 stuff. ("Class 3" is a misnomer. These items are better referred to as Title 2 or simply NFA items).
The posted Schnellfeuer is a little overpriced for a Pre May Dealer Sample. I would expect a fully transferrable to go for this kind of money.
Thanks for the info. Personally, I have to bypass Machine Pistols. But each collector's situation is different, this gun has a special position in pistol development, and if possible, owning a Schnellfeuer will be great!

A fully transferable SF was sold recently for $14,950:

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auction...?ItemId=122168
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
MikeP
User

I fired a Schnell years ago. They have a big switch n the side.
So impractical its hard to believe so many were made.
Hard to get less than about a 4-5 round burst and those all over the place.

In the "old" days gunshow parking lots were fabulous places, but the feds were lurking.
Old childhood friend did that for years-they were mostly looking to build cases and bust habitual offenders.
They were watching a lot of people. I always thought my friend had got caught and turned rat to save himself. He and his handler tried to recruit me when I got out of the army, but that behaviour was short of my standards.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
cdmech
User

At gun shows around here in CA, there are two types of sellers, those with an FFL and those without. I don't know what "dealer" implies. If the guy selling the hand gun or newer than 50 year old rifle is not an FFL, the two of you walk over to the table of FFLs and complete your transaction and you get your gun in ten days from the FFL. If your buying a C&R long gun from a non-FFL, then cash and carry. If the C&R long gun seller is an FFL, then wait ten days.
Next year there will be no cash and carry of anything in CA, so old long rifles are commanding top $$$ right now. Most of the tables are non-FFLs at the shows I've seen, but I don't spend any time looking at the new stuff either.
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
cdmech
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
I do not let anyone at a show (unless I know them and their experience) take anything apart. Various reasons - 1) too many tire kickers, 2) sometimes they do not or cannot put it back together, 3) sometimes they don't know how to take it apart, 4) Having to watch them closely leaves one open to problems from their friends or others. Some where else - might be different.
All of these are true. Buying at a gun show then becomes more of a gamble than an Internet purchase, because most online sellers at least give you an "inspection" period.
Ok to ask if you can, but don't expect to be allowed to I guess is the right attitude.
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #31
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmech View Post
All of these are true. Buying at a gun show then becomes more of a gamble than an Internet purchase, because most online sellers at least give you an "inspection" period.
Ok to ask if you can, but don't expect to be allowed to I guess is the right attitude.
Marc
It is a gamble because of the 4 reasons I mentioned. A person can ask, but there is no way to know if a person falls into one of the above ahead of time. So why create problems for your self.

As to internet sellers giving an inspection, many say that no dis-assembly is allowed.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
As to internet sellers giving an inspection, many say that no dis-assembly is allowed.
No disassembly allowed? I saw dfwarms.com having that clause in terms of sales.

His items are expensive ones, I can partially understand his concerns. Viewers seriously interested in an item simply need to ask him to disassemble it before paying $$
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #33
conehammer
User

I never had any problems disassembling Broomhandles. No one ever even showed me but I did have a exploded view.

I always found the hubbub over taking them apart amusing.
My first Broomhandle was the second pistol I had, after a 7,65 Luger ( some 1920's sort).

I remember being at a gun show in Mountain View ( Ca ) in the early 1980s at which a seller was perplexed how to put a Broomhandle back together. I took care of that right quickly.

I solved that conundrum that rarely occurs when someone reassembles one with an incorrectly assembled lock. It's just a matter of applying pressure and pulling on several parts at the same time. I remember walking someone through it on the old Yahoo newsgroup.

Broomhandles are fun, I just don't shoot any of mine any longer... No shootee - no breakee...

Jerry
conehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I always found the hubbub over taking them apart amusing. Yes..I agree, it's really funny for the average guy who takes one of these apart. The laughable part is when the monstrosity of weird parts gets stuck and no matter what you do it cannot be forced apart. OH! And another hilarious part of these pistols is the sharp angular edges and points all over them! Kind of like brushing a cat's teeth or giving a big feral tom cat a manicure. The last time..and I mean last time I monkeyed with one of these my hands looked like I stuck them in a tigers cage about lunch time.
A Luger or any John Browning designed pistol is like picking up a stick of butter over a piece of cholla cactus.
I almost forgot the funniest part! It's actually possible for the top end of these pistols to come completely off and hit you in the face!! That's if it doesn't hit your funnybone first! As much of a laugh riot as these pistols are..after owning a half dozen I went back to my Lugers.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

It took me years to realize that you have to pull back the top portion to move the takedown. Since my stroke I'm lousy at directions..PS Thank Jerry!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
I always found the hubbub over taking them apart amusing. Yes..I agree, it's really funny for the average guy who takes one of these apart. The laughable part is when the monstrosity of weird parts gets stuck and no matter what you do it cannot be forced apart. OH! And another hilarious part of these pistols is the sharp angular edges and points all over them! Kind of like brushing a cat's teeth or giving a big feral tom cat a manicure. The last time..and I mean last time I monkeyed with one of these my hands looked like I stuck them in a tigers cage about lunch time.
A Luger or any John Browning designed pistol is like picking up a stick of butter over a piece of cholla cactus.
I almost forgot the funniest part! It's actually possible for the top end of these pistols to come completely off and hit you in the face!! That's if it doesn't hit your funnybone first! As much of a laugh riot as these pistols are..after owning a half dozen I went back to my Lugers.

You would be surprised at the number of people who cannot put a Hi Power back together.
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Charlie..I bet! I pride myself on my mechanical ability. I have dis assembled Browing A5 Automatic shotguns many times and because parts can fall out when a pin is pushed you don't know for sure exactly how they go back..Everything has to go somewhere though..Certain guns are a challenge and I find the C96 not so much a challenge but just irritating in it's whole method of construction.

The only HP's I have are Englis..Someday I hope to find a good pre 45 German one I can afford! I assure you... taking a HP apart is a joy and a pleasure compared to a C96!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Try a fully automatic BAR or Browning 1919A4 sometime. They are really complex.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #39
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Doug..I would dearly love to! I have always thought a really cool museum would be full of firearms you could take down and put back together. I guess that was called the Army.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
alvin
User

Back a few years ago, I paid an online course teaching how to repair watches. After the course, I bought a"watch repairing kit" from the tutor, including a movement for practicing purpose. Soon, I found the hardest part in practice -- the floor was a black hole, if a tiny component flew out during disassembly, it's simply impossible to find it any more.