LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
gwbeyer
New User

Default Damage to breechblock around extractor

I have discovered some damage to the breechblock near the extractor after firing my Luger. The damage is seen at the front of the breechblock on either side of the extractor. There are travel limiting lips built into the breechblock that will allow the extractor to only raise so far. The metal has apparently been hammered by the extractor and raised upward. I'm a little surprised that the extractor would be raised with such force during cycling...

A little history: I have had this pistol a long time and it had been reblued at least once before I got it. I subsequently polished, then rust blued the entire bolt assembly after replacing the rear toggle, which had cracked.

Suspecting too much material had been removed in refinishing, I made some measurements and compared them to those on the Luger Blueprints DVD I purchased years ago. The drawing shows the measurement of these limit lips to be 1.3 mm (.051") top to bottom. On my Luger they measure about .035". I cannot read German well enough to determine the tolerance on this spec.

FYI, my load is 4.5 gr. of VV N350 behind the 124 grain RCBS 9MM-124-RN bullet in wheelweight alloy. This load cycles beautifully.

So, what's the verdict from those of you that may have seen this in the past? Do I start looking for a numbers matching (33) DWM breechblock, or is there something more involved going on here?

Gary
Unread 07-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

As you can see in this blueprint extract (Image 1), The area you describe is dimensioned as 1.3mm. it is the only dimension I see on this blueprint that is this value.

From the blueprint table the tolerance for this dimension is 0.1mm, (which was corrected from the previous tolerance of 0.05mm (image 2) which has been crossed out.)

0.1 millimeters is 0.003937 inches.
0.05mm is 0.0019685 inches.

I think that you have correctly diagnosed your problem as the extractor stops are excessively worn by constant hammering of the firing cycle (after being reduced in size by material removal during refinishing).

this gun is obviously a shooter class gun, so I wouldn't waste any time trying to find a DWM breechblock with a matching serial number... just get a replacement block and fit it to the gun and have fun shooting it.

If retaining matching numbers is important to you, then have the area of the original breechblock micro-welded and then remachined to the blueprint. But this will Not be cost effective in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breechface.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	60344  

Click image for larger version

Name:	breechtolerance.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	60345  

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Dick Herman
User

This problem has been seen before and discussed in depth recently in this forum.
Dick Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dick Herman for your post:
Unread 07-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Cracked rear toggle and hammered breech block - must have been abused or shot a tremendous amount in its history.

I agree, just buy a new mfg, or a used good condition BB and move on!

If 4.5 gr of VV340 functions your luger well, I'd also suspect the main spring is weak.
Perhaps you should consider changing it, that could have contributed to your problems.

Check the inside back of the frame also for hammering.
Unread 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I concur with Don's assessment. The fact that the rear toggle also previously cracked may be significant. The recoil spring may be too weak. I suggest that you get the Wolff mainspring kit with three progressively lighter springs and use the heaviest spring that allows the gun to cycle.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote