, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> First Luger Book recommendation...help... - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-02-2001, 07:01 PM   #1
Scott

Default First Luger Book recommendation...help...

I have read a number of posts, listing a number of reference books on Lugers. If I were to buy one book, regardless of price, that would have great photos, lots of general information (without getting too detailed)..which one would you recommend? Please everyone answer, and I will tally the general consensus and buy it. I'm just getting started and want to be enlightened, entertained, and excited all at the same time. Thank you in advance!

Unread 11-02-2001, 07:18 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: First Luger Book recommendation...help...

I would say one of Jan Still's books. Depending on which era you are interested in, but his books focuse primarily on military issued weapons (not too much on early commercials or dish toggled models) IMPERIAL LUGERS are for the WWI era (1904-1920), WEIMAR LUGERS are for the WEIMAR era BETWEEN the World Wars (1920-1933) and lastly THIRD REICH LUGERS for the period of 1933-1945. If you want only one book to get an overall look, I suggest Kenyon's LUGERS AT RANDOM, a good book to see overall variations, but dated material. Still's books are more up to date and more detailed. THIRD REICH LUGERS is my vote if I had to pick only one! THOR

Unread 11-02-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
66mustang

I don't have any of Still's books, nor have I seen any, but I have heard nothing but praise about them.

So far those books that I have direct experience and own are;

Shattucks Book: Small, but has good information, pictures on many pages, some good examples.

Reese's Luger Tips: Same, worth the money, larger format, more pictures.

Datig: You don't hear as much about his book, I like it a lot, but has fewer pictures, more words and descriptions.

Lugers at Random, is excellent, by Kenyon, although it has lots of pictures and a description about each gun, it does not have as much "writing" as Jones or Datig.

Jones's Luger Variations: This is very good, has lots of writing, and many pictures of many models, it is older, so a few things in it are wrong or were what was thought at that time.

I imagine that Still has a mixture, because I have heard many people like his books. I have hesitated in buying any, because they are segemented into specific Luger types and sections and my "collection" so far is across the board.

Ed

Unread 11-02-2001, 10:33 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

If you are only going to buy one (yeah right! ) then you should consider "Lugers at Random" by Charles Kenyon priced around $50. It covers all the variations, lots of pictures, not too much detail.

Dok

Unread 11-03-2001, 09:34 AM   #5
tom h

I agree with Dok, if you only want one book, Lugers at Random is the one. But if you can afford about $250 for the most up to date info, then get Still's 3 volumes on the luger and while your at it, get his Axis Pistols (Vol.1 &2) for everything else that the "bad guys" used in WW1 & 2. Tom h

Unread 11-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #6
Sid Gariss

Scott,

My choice would be one of Still's books. I will be buying Third Reich Lugers for myself since that is the area of interest for me. Good hunting on finding the right book for you. Let us know what you get.

Sid.