LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-25-2001, 10:06 AM   #1
Roger Seymour

Default Luger Sight Picture

I just brought a Mauser 42 shooter from Ralph. Of course after picking it up from the gun shop, my next stop was the range. It was then that it truely hit me that I was looking at a different sight picture from my old colt .45. Just what is the proper sight picture for a V notch Luger? Is the tip of the front sight suppose to be just under the desired point of impact a la a M-1911? Or should more of the pyramid cover the target?

Unread 04-25-2001, 10:32 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Roger, your first guess is correct.

The target sits on top of the pyramid that is level with, and centered in the V notch.

Enjoy!

Unread 04-25-2001, 10:50 AM   #3
Roger Seymour

Default Thanks

John, thanks. Good to know that all that military training didn't go to waste. Now all I have to do is work on that part of the system behind the rear sight.

Unread 04-25-2001, 11:09 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Default Re: Luger Sight Picture

Roger,

Congratulations on the Luger. When you go to the range next time. Try a "point and shoot" with the pistol. The grip gives you a natural feel for the pistol and really let you get on target.

To do the "point and shoot" try to think of the end of the barrel as your finger as if you were pointing at an object/target at the range. Let your mind, not your eyes, feel the natural pointing ability of the pistol adn then fire off a few shots. I think you will be amazed at the "point and shoot" method this way.

I was tought this method at Fort Bragg during military pistol training and it sure worked for me. Good Luck and give this a try at least for fun anyway.

Marvin

Unread 04-25-2001, 11:49 AM   #5
Henry
New User

As in all sight pictures that use a post and notch the post goes in the center and even with the top.

Unread 04-25-2001, 11:57 AM   #6
Milt Keller
User

MArvin,

You must have had the same instructor as did I. That is the same way I was tought. It REALLY works! Thanks! U.S. Army!

Milt

Unread 04-25-2001, 12:28 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Milt,

Yes, it is the best way to fire a combat pistol. With the natural pointing ability of the Luger, it is a dream to shoot this way. I also appreciate the U.S. Army for their training techniques. i wonder if all recuits are tought this way?

Marvin

Unread 04-25-2001, 12:48 PM   #8
Milt Keller
User

Marvin,

I have no idea what they do at this time. All I know is that we were throwing 50-cent pieces in the air, and shooting the buggers. We were pretty good at it too.

While I'm thinking of it, the pix that shows me firing the Luger...there was a speck near the Luger that I digitally removed before I put the pix on the website...it was the shell casing! Ted remarked at the recoil of the pistol, and jokingly wondered if it was a .44 magnum. I noticed the toggle was up, and never would have thought the camera was fast enough to snap the toggle "up" and the spent casing being ejected! It's a throw-away camera too...go figure!

Milt