LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-10-2001, 07:36 PM   #1
DL

Default S/42 questions

Hello, this is my first post, and I appreciate any help given, as I am no expert.I was referred here by another board.

Just curious about special features , if any, to look for on an S/42 Luger, marked 1939? This pistol was a WWII bring-back by my cousin and no alterations have been done. It has good original blue, no rust, wooden checkered grips in excellent condition, four inch bbl, with shiny bore, four digit serial with all matching parts, including the magazine (aluminum base). There are three proof marks eagle wings I think, on the pistol right side of the bbl, as referenced in your tech info here. Markings are all visible. Appears to be three tiny numbers under the bbl near the serial..maybe 882?

The holster is brown, with clamshell flap , but am told it is unusual with three loops inside for mags. It has a name written in faded ink on the exterior with a serial # beginning in ASA. The same name is inside, apparently in white shoe polish.

It is not for sale, but what would make this one anything special? Hope to hear from someone. Thanks, DL

Unread 04-10-2001, 08:17 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Welcome DL

Your pistol sounds like a collector piece to me. The 1939 code S42 is one of the more difficult of later Mauser (S42 is a code for Mauser) Military Lugers to find. There were less that 40000 of this variety made. It is also nice to have a matching magazine which increases the value of the weapon. I would caution you against shooting it. If it is a collector grade and something would get broken or dinged up the value would decrease rapidly. If you could post a photo of your holster, I think the forum would be interested in seeing it. Hope this helps!!

Unread 04-10-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
bill m
User

Default Re: S/42 questions

Hi DL,

The 1939 S/42 were made mainly in the N,O, and P letter blocks with some in the Q, and possible the R letter blocks. Some of the Q and R blocks were the 1939 code 42 models. There is also a police model, usually found in the N letter block, and a Navy model. What is your serial number? Unless it was a Police or a Navy model, there is nothing unique about your Luger. Your gun should have wood grips, be all salt blued with no strawed parts, and have a standard 4" barrel. No special features here.

Unread 04-11-2001, 04:18 AM   #4
dieter.kastel

Hi bill,

i have a K-dated S/42 with no. 5057 s.

How many have been produced with K-date and wich numbers and letters were used?

I heard that there were only 15.000 made in 1934, is it right? How many are left over today? Wich was the first serial-number given to a K-date? Wich letters were used?

Dieter

Unread 04-11-2001, 08:08 AM   #5
tom heller

Dieter, There were about 11,000 K date lugers make by Mauser in 1934, starting with S/N 1 and running upto about 1000a suffix. Since this was the first year of standard military PO8 production by Mauser, it is also the lowest production. In 1935 (G date) Mauser made about 55K PO8s and starting in 1936 (first year of open dating) production increased to 110K and was maintain at about that level until 1942 when they ceased PO8 production in favor of the P38, which only cost half as much to produce as the PO8, due primarily to less hand fitting of parts on each pistol. Mausers spare part then were given to Kreighoff, who continued to produce the luger until 1945 for the luftwaffe.

Unread 04-11-2001, 08:37 AM   #6
Ted
User

Thanks Tom, nice Synopsis! Check for the ejector is in the mail! Ted

Unread 04-11-2001, 09:51 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Please post photos of both pistol and holster

Welcome to the Luger forum DL. Please take the time to pst your profile so we know a little about you. it will also prevent anyone else from posting using your "DL" name.

If you don't own a digital camera but have access to a scanner, you can take regular photos and scan them, or as an alternative, we have recently found that very acceptable images can be made by just placing the pistol directly on the scanner glass. Place the magazine beside it instead of inside the weapon.

I have not seen a holster with three mag pouches and would very much like to see yours, as I am sure would the other regular posters.

Once again, - welcome,

=John

Unread 04-11-2001, 12:32 PM   #8
bill m
User

Hi,

The K-date Luger was produced in 1934. They started with serial number 1 and went to 9999, then to 1A thru about 1700A, but the A block K-dates are mixed in with the G-date Lugers, so we do not know for sure just how many were produced, but close to 12,000 total. There are many different variations or combinations with the early ones having a scriptic S on the parts and the mid ones a gothic S, and the last with no S's on the parts. Your serial number is not correct for a K-date with the S suffix, as it should have a no suffix or an A. There are a lot of reblued K-dates around and a lot of counterfiets. As far as how many are still around, I have no idea, but they are fairly hard to find. If you need more information you can e-mail me or ask on the forum and I will try to answer your questions.