LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hold Open & Spring

I have not seen a warning about keeping the magazine in place in our Lugers when not being used, but the other day when I had the upper off of one of mine I noticed that the magazine was exerting a lot of pressure on the hold open and spring, wouldn't it be advisable to at least lower the magazine slightly so that it does not come in contact with the hold open? I would think that the constant pressure over a period of time could have a detrimental affect on both parts. Any thoughts on that possibility?

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Arizona Slim for your post:
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hi Lon,

The empty magazine exerts exactly the amount of pressure that Georg Luger designed it to exert on the underside of the breechblock holdopen. Since the maazine has to be empty for this pressure to be exerted, the mag spring is not pushing any harder than is necessary to raise the holdopen and catch the breechblock if the action is cycled either manually or by a fired cartridge.

It is just my opinion, but I personally believe that the relationship between the mag button pressure and the holdopen poses no risk to the parts involved no matter how long they are engaged.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks John, that's good to hear, I hesitated to remove the magazines from the pistols as a few have matching numbers and most of the rest are appropriate for that particular Luger and also the fact that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to knowing which mags go with which year and model.

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote