LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
bwilliams
User

Default Import markings on Black Widow

Hello Members
I just got back from a gun show that had one Luger at the whole show. It was a BYF 41 with matching numbers, black grips and good blueing, maybe reblued. On the right side in line with the proof marks was an import marking. Our Town MD, some company Inc, and Germany all in very small letters. The asking price is $1200. My question is, is this a $600 shooter with the import markings or a collectable luger? Your advice would be greatly appreciated I'll make up my mind what to offer this guy.
Thanks Bill
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Bill,

Just as a datapoint - there is a rather large gun store just north of here, that, a few weeks ago - had a similar BYF 41 "import" marked as well. The price was set at $725 and marked as an "import". It sold in a week or two... That being said - as Lugers are becoming increasingly difficult to find - even import marked are starting to rise... As for the $1200 figure you are wrestling with - my opinion is that it is overpriced...

Hope this helps!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Schupo
User

An interesting subject. I have thought about these import markings for years and I will certainly say up front that I don't like them. If given the opportunity, I will always buy a firearm without the import markings if I can.

Having said that, I seem to have come to terms with import markings over the years. Some pistols just seem to have them. Postwar or DDR rework German pistols for instance. Anyway, I have come to view these markings as a part of the history of the pistol as long as they are not obnoxious or just plain ugly markings. I now view them in the same vein as armorer markings that indicate reworking or unit markings.
Unread 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
bwilliams
User

Thanks Guys
I'm on my way back to the show. Much better informed than before. If I get the gun I will post pics. Thanks for the advice.
Bill
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote