LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I'll weigh the baby and post when it gets here - starting a new thread.
Don, could I suggest that you post a couple of threads??? The buildup of your 'baby' Luger, and the construction of your 'long barrel'/carbine Luger???

I like to read detailed descriptions of how and why others put together their creations. Why they chose to do something one way instead of another; what they think is more aesthetically pleasing; the mistakes they make. (There is only one way to learn; by making mistakes).

Ithacaartist has posted his rendition of tapering a Luger barrel. I found that interesting and even tried his method; it worked out quite well, surprisingly. (Well, surprising to me!)

I wish more of the members of this forum would post pics and explanations of what they've accomplished.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 06-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #22
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default GTS/T Range test!

Well, just got back for the range where I tested qty. 2 of the new GTS/T-6 & qty. 1 of the GTS/T-4 versions... They all worked flawlessly on my byf test frame!!!! ... Yeah Team!!... Now, I did have an owners frame for one of the 6 inch versions, and, with that frame, it wouldn't always close?... So, I swapped out the mainspring, original DWM, with the longer, and seemingly stronger Mauser spring out of my test byf, and problem solved.... All good!
Ed! Yours worked 100% thru 3 full mags of WW white box... ... shot to point of aim as well... we should be good as gold if you have a decent frame for it... with the added mass, the receiver to frame has to be slick, any drag is a function trap! ... Dons report should be forthcoming, but in shooting these two, my preference is the 4" as it just balances perfectly in my hands... More reports when the owners get there respective units to try / test?... But, I'm pretty happy... for now... best to all, til....lat'r.....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
Dick Herman
User

This is great news. I am looking forward to getting both my hands on my new toy. Thank you for working the bugs out of it.
Dick Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Gts/t-6

Hi Dick, yes! It really ran nice! It will still need some trigger tuning... as all Lugers for target probably do.. but it shoots as good as I can shoot! And i'm pretty sure, actually, a whole lot better than I can shoot! ........ I just put my GT stamp on the barrel! The powers above must not like me doing that because I whack the hell out of it, and my stamp is barely visible? One shot only! The barrel steel is pretty hard? Or, my stamp has too much surface area... Either way, it's on them, ........a little off center, but straight and square.... .... When I get these sent, I will get back to the drum revisions... and all my efforts will be in that direction for a week or so... then a few more loose end projects... and then, sigh, more drums.... Til....lat'r.....GT...
Unread 06-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #25
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default drums!!

Hi Rich! I get it! ...... It's definitely drums along something!!! ... I have 50 of them tore apart right now....... I dream about drums... I look at a tuna can and see a drum mag!... Must be my fate... Oh well, polish is the key... best to all, til...lat'r....GT...
Unread 06-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #26
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Ed's GTS/T-6

Hi Ed, It's in the mail!!!! Christmas is coming! In June?.... ... and from Arizona?... yup! I know it's a stretch.... But, those who know me well, know it's possible...... Thanks to ALL my customers! Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #27
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi Ed, It's in the mail!!!! Christmas is coming! In June?.... ... and from Arizona?... yup! I know it's a stretch.... But, those who know me well, know it's possible...... Thanks to ALL my customers! Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
very cool my friend!

I have a number of frames that I can swap around, somehow ended up with more than one shooter
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #28
Zorba
User

Quote:
I dream about drums... I look at a tuna can and see a drum...
But can you play the drums?
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #29
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default drums....

Nope! even the triangle was a challenge? ....... music abruptly ended about second grade.... .... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #30
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts
Smile Short bull barrel arrives early!

Received my 2 3/4" bull slab side 9 mm barrel from GT today! Didn't expect it till Wednesday, so a great surprise. So I spent the pm assembling and slicking up the frame to receiver fit and filing the front sight blade install it.

This is for my "baby" luger project along with a 7,65 mm "normal" profile 2 3/4" bbl.

Got the 7,65 working a couple weeks back, so it will be to the range with the 9 mm installed tomorrow.

Pictures of the barrel and the baby in process are below. I wish now I had started with a prettier frame and commercial upper.
A slick back frame would be my choice now; but at the time I thought it might be a "wasted" frame, maybe next time.

GT and Ollie did work on the barrel, Jim Solomon built the grips,
a master welder did the 1/2" shortening on the frame, Sheepherder did the scallop on the toggle, and I was the co-ordinator and hand fitter of small parts and chief design engineer.

I'll report on the shooting soon in a new thread.

After function is assured, the next stop will be to have the piece rust blued.

I'm fighting the urge to buy the 4" upper that no one has claimed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190085.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	59623  

Name:	P1190086.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	59624  

Name:	P1190087.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	59625  

Name:	P1190083.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	59626  

The following 10 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #31
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Looks really cool!!!

Is that a Brownell's K98 Mauser front sight blade???

Gerry & Olle will need to design & offer a 'front sight blade pusher' next!
Unread 06-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Looks really cool!!!

Is that a Brownell's K98 Mauser front sight blade???

Gerry & Olle will need to design & offer a 'front sight blade pusher' next!
That's the oversized K98 blade, yes. It's supposed to be trimmed to fit, so it looks huge on that short barrel.

There's really no need for a sight pusher IMO. I'd just put it in a vice and tap the sight, the slab sides and a couple of wood blocks would hold it firmly without damaging the barrel.
Unread 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #33
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
There's really no need for a sight pusher IMO. I'd just put it in a vice and tap the sight, the slab sides and a couple of wood blocks would hold it firmly without damaging the barrel.
I use a hammer & brass/copper bolt to push/install mine, but there's no vise at my range. I have a couple front sight spanners for my screw-on front sight bases and was thinking of tapping them for an adjustment screw...But they're aluminum and might strip easily...My blade dovetails are pretty tight...
Unread 06-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #34
Olle
User

Quote:
I use a hammer & brass/copper bolt to push/install mine, but there's no vise at my range. I have a couple front sight spanners for my screw-on front sight bases and was thinking of tapping them for an adjustment screw...But they're aluminum and might strip easily...My blade dovetails are pretty tight...
Ah yes, I forgot about the poor bastards who can't shoot their guns in their back yard....

I have never really seen a sight pusher that works, and I have tried in vain to come up one that does. Even with a bearing ball between the tip and the screw, it would spin and mar the sight when I had to crank hard on it. If I try again, it will probably be a clamp with a drilled hole where you can insert a brass punch. Really, a set screw would be ideal, but it would take a very tiny screw and it would probably strip easily, regardless of material.

Now when I think of it, it would be a worthwhile project to come up with a simple and fool proof substitute for those pesky dovetails. I think I'll do that, sell the design to a large gun manufacturer and get stinkin' rich.
Unread 06-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #35
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default front sight.....

Hi to all, Actually Olle, that is a standard Mauser K98 blade! Don, does have the custom front sight blade to profile and install, it used the one shown only because I was pestering him to get pictures up!......... But, I mailed Ed's out yesterday, and he has a profiled Mauser custom front, profiled and installed, and it is shaped similar to a shark dorsal fin?.... Only lower, looks neat to me?... I was really happy the 6" version worked with the standard Mauser spring! If I make another run of these, (maybe early next year!) probably about a dozen per year! They will all be 4" as I will get back to the philosophy of a standard Luger replacement barrel, but I will still offer a front sight option, as the Mauser blade give you the ability to cut the rear sight "V" into a square for a more modern sight picture, or use a standard "inverted V" as original.... I can't wait for the shooting results, I'm just not the guy for targets... I just like to hear the gun go off?... ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT

BTW, the machine marks come away with a small 220 W/D block sanding... Don is probably better than I in that department... but i'll bet it cleans up pretty! Til....lat'r.....GT......

BTW, Olle can cut the sight dovetail with amazing accuracy... right now, you have to take apporx. .005 out of one of the ends for a custom tight fit.... We planned it that way... the dovetail fit for the original Luger FS blade is perfect! And actually, my preference..... Again, Good Job Olle!!!!!!!!
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #36
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Ah yes, I forgot about the poor bastards who can't shoot their guns in their back yard....
In theory, I can...The first hole of Oak Run Golf Club is 363 feet in back of me, the bullet would likely plow into the ground before that...Or hit a tree...My neighbors would likely complain. But several years back, I was at a car dealership and I was standing close to a Cadillac...After about 10 minutes of my standing there, it drove off...I had no idea it was running...

I don't know what year it was, but I never heard it. If I can find a muffler for that car, I'll make up a test bench in my tool shed to shoot through it...

(BTW, there was a large deer standing at the back door of that shed yesterday...Dog was out pooping, never noticed it...)
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 06-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #37
Olle
User

Quote:
Hi to all, Actually Olle, that is a standard Mauser K98 blade!
My bad, I just looked at the way it sticks out on the sides! Really, all these barrels need to be sighted in after installation, so it's better to use a sight that's too large rather than too small.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I milled the sight ramps to standard Luger height on all these barrels (IIRC 10mm off the centerline of the bore), so this should hopefully be a good reference if you have to trim the height.

Quote:
In theory, I can...The first hole of Oak Run Golf Club is 363 feet in back of me, the bullet would likely plow into the ground before that...Or hit a tree...My neighbors would likely complain. But several years back, I was at a car dealership and I was standing close to a Cadillac...After about 10 minutes of my standing there, it drove off...I had no idea it was running...

I don't know what year it was, but I never heard it. If I can find a muffler for that car, I'll make up a test bench in my tool shed to shoot through it...

(BTW, there was a large deer standing at the back door of that shed yesterday...Dog was out pooping, never noticed it...)
Most OEM mufflers are "turbo" style, but I'd say that a 2 1/2"-3" straight through race muffler would work. I think you said that you used Borlas on your Vette, so maybe you have one or two laying around?
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 06-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #38
DonVoigt
User

Rich,
what an elegant idea, I've been thinking about a test fire tube for the shop.
A straight through muffler set up and pointed into the drainage ditch would be perfect!

Just a huge silencer.
Unread 06-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #39
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Don, could I suggest that you post a couple of threads??? The buildup of your 'baby' Luger, and the construction of your 'long barrel'/carbine Luger???

I like to read detailed descriptions of how and why others put together their creations. Why they chose to do something one way instead of another; what they think is more aesthetically pleasing; the mistakes they make. (There is only one way to learn; by making mistakes).

Ithacaartist has posted his rendition of tapering a Luger barrel. I found that interesting and even tried his method; it worked out quite well, surprisingly. (Well, surprising to me!)

I wish more of the members of this forum would post pics and explanations of what they've accomplished.
Rich,
I'll do that. I've been waiting till I had the entire story ready!

Meanwhile how about a link to the "tapering" thread, I missed it!
Unread 06-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #40
DonVoigt
User

Smile Short bull barrel firing report!

Quote:
Hi to all, Actually Olle, that is a standard Mauser K98 blade! Don, does have the custom front sight blade to profile and install, it used the one shown only because I was pestering him to get pictures up!......... But, I mailed Ed's out yesterday, and he has a profiled Mauser custom front, profiled and installed, and it is shaped similar to a shark dorsal fin?.... Only lower, looks neat to me?... I was really happy the 6" version worked with the standard Mauser spring! If I make another run of these, (maybe early next year!) probably about a dozen per year! They will all be 4" as I will get back to the philosophy of a standard Luger replacement barrel, but I will still offer a front sight option, as the Mauser blade give you the ability to cut the rear sight "V" into a square for a more modern sight picture, or use a standard "inverted V" as original.... I can't wait for the shooting results, I'm just not the guy for targets... I just like to hear the gun go off?... ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT

BTW, the machine marks come away with a small 220 W/D block sanding... Don is probably better than I in that department... but i'll bet it cleans up pretty! Til....lat'r.....GT......

BTW, Olle can cut the sight dovetail with amazing accuracy... right now, you have to take apporx. .005 out of one of the ends for a custom tight fit.... We planned it that way... the dovetail fit for the original Luger FS blade is perfect! And actually, my preference..... Again, Good Job Olle!!!!!!!!
Yes, it was a "new" k98 blade, the closest thing I had to fit.
As it was, I had to raise the base of the blade about 0.010" to clear the dovetail; I didn't want to change the bbl cut itself, as I may decide on a different sight.

Even with that one, I squared up the rear notch and widened it a bit to get a clear view.

I fired it today, worked fine with the same spring I was using for the 2.75" .30 bbl. Did not shoot at a target, just for function.

Ollie,
very nice cut for the extractor, looks just like the original! Good work. Do you use a shaped cutter or shaped grinding wheel ?