LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #21
Chuckc
User

Default Rust Blue Formula

Well, I finally got some time to do some experimenting over the Holidays.

I blued some barrel segments using four different formulas. The picture I have attached shows three of the formulas and two lugers for comparison.

From right to left is an original 1923 commercial in excellent original condition. Barrel segment 1 was done with Pilkingtons, Segment 2 was done with Wakon Bay, and Segment 3 was done with a modified Bern formula that I mixed up myself. The Artillery on the right is a refinish by Thor.

The Bern formula (slightly modified) is primarily a nitric acid base with no hydrochloric acid in the formula. The other two have both Nitric and Hydchloric and I found they were much more agressive than the Bern.

In fact I would say the Bern is much more friendly to proof marks than the other two.

The picture was taken outdoors in natural light and I hope you can see the difference. In my opinion the Pilkingtons is too black. The Bern, IMO, comes very close to the DWM color. The color in the highlights is the same light blue grey color when examined with reflected light. I am not sure how to explain that, or if that makes any sense to anyone.

Anyway, what is the opinion of those who care to take a look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust blue experiment.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	607  

Unread 01-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #22
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Chuck,

Impressive results. Really like the Bern formula results, although it's difficult to see the subtleties on a photograph.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #23
policeluger
RIP

Real interesting, I would like to get together sometime and discuss these processes with you, I like the mod Bern method as best as I can tell from the pictures. It would be a days drive over, and I would like to see this prosses in action.....very good work.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #24
Snakeman
User

Any chance of getting copies of the Bern (both origional and modified) formulae, either posted on the forum or sent via e-mail?
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #25
Chuckc
User

I have gotten another formula (WW I German Arsenal) that contains the same ingredients with one additional chemical and different quantities. I have that chemical on order and will do another piece when I get it in. The Bern formula is definitely on the right track.

For those who are following this thread, the Bern is the browning formula in the book by R. H. Angier (Firearm Bluing and Browning). It says it is a browning formula, but the only difference between brown and blue is boiling the browned piece. The boiling turns the brown to blue.

The explanation in the book is rather long and offers substutions. I substuted where I thought I understood the meaning. The results indicate to me that my guesses were correct.

As I said earlier, since no one swore me to secrecy, I will publish the formula and results on this forum. I am not quite through with my experiment and research, so bear with me.
Unread 01-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #26
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckc
Isubstuted where I thought I understood the meaning. The results indicate to me that my guesses were correct.
Chuck, I read your profile, I think you have a foot (or two) up on me in chemicals!
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #27
Snakeman
User

Thanks, Chuck, can hardly wait (just hope I can get the chemicals I will need over here).
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #28
Ponyman
User

Chuck, regarding "boiling the browned piece" - do you notice any difference in the hardness / durability of the surface between the brown and the blue? Does the brown, for instance, scratch easily - like, with a fingernail? I have several older rifles that would look better in brown, if the finish is hard enough.
Ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #29
Chuckc
User

I have had several private messages asking for the formula, so I will not wait for the other formula results. Those who wish, can try this out and see the results for themselves.

Bern (Swiss)
Browning Solution

.1183 liters Distilled water

1.8 grams Copper Sulphate

12.5 grams Solution ferric chloride (29%)

7.2 grams Nitric Acid D.1.42

2.5 grams Alcohol (IPA)

I have also been asked about availability of the ingredients. Three are fairly common. The distilled water you can find at your local grocery store. I would recommend this as tap water has chlorine and I am not sure what effect that would have on the results. I also use distilled water for the boiling.

Copper sulphate should be available at your local pool supply store. And the Alcohol is nothing more than common rubbing alcohol. This was supplied for the "Spirit of Nitre" called for in the book. I believe the author said this could even be omitted without a significant difference in results. It is easy to get, so why not. We buy it by the 55 gallon drum. Do not substitute single malt scotch. This is a different kind of alcohol for an entirely different application.

The two remaining ingredients may be more difficult to find. Since I have a supply here in the plant, I never went looking. Ferric Chloride and Nitric acid are corrosive and considered hazardous Materials. These may or may not present a problem in locating them.

It takes very little to do a gun, so by the time you go to the trouble to get this stuff, you may have a 10 lifetime supply. I may have a solution for you if you really want to try your hand at this.

I plan on mixing up some extra and packaging them in 4 oz bottles. These I would make available to forum members at my cost plus shipping. I am going to have to check on shipping costs for such small quantities. There is a Haz Mat surcharge for larger shipments that run $20.00. I am checking on this. I imagine this will be a very limited interest group, so mass production will not be in the cards.

I also have written up some instructions on application if anyone is interested. Anyone getting a sample of this formula must promise to hand finish the piece. A buffing wheel may be used as long as you stand at least 50 feet away from said wheel. More distance is recommended.

When I get the next formula going, I will post pictures of the results.

Warning - please see the warning on page 3 of this thread if you are mixing these chemicals.
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #30
Chuckc
User

Ponyman,

On pieces that I have browned I have never seen them scratch easily. The final carding I usually do with an old sock (cotton) and then oil. The browning I used was Wakon Bay and I understand it is no longer available.

They will all scratch with something metal if you are determined to scratch them, but normal handling will not be a problem. A good brown job turns a rich color of deep (dark) brown and does not look like the piece has been left out in the rain.
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #31
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Chuck,
Is the decimal point is in the right place for ".1183 liters Distilled water"?
Unread 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #32
Chuckc
User

Yes, for liters. 118.3 ml. This is about the equivalent of 100 ccm or exactly 1/4 us Pint. Our lab measurements are in liters so I converted for what I had.

1/4 US Pint is what I should have included in the formula. Sorry. The book also included the weights in grs. But I am not sure if our powder measure grains are the same as what the author uses in the book.

For those who would like to measure rather than weigh:

1/4 US pint Distilled water

1.8 grams Copper Sulfate (this is a solid)

9.0 ml Ferric Chloride (29%)

5.15 ml Nitric Acid

3.15 ml IPA (Alcohol)

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #33
Revolvr
User

Not sure how the average person can get Nitric Acid these days. It is also used to make Nitroglycerin and ammonium nitrate.

Ferric Chloride is the stuff Radio Shack sells as a circuit board echant. I have heard it is good for removing existing bluing also.

A while back I was looking into home wine making. Copper Sulfate is used occasionally to treat wines that smell bad. I think it could be purchased from a winemaking supply house.

-- Dan
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #34
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

Did some searching and it appears that over here in the Netherlands nitric acid is used as a cleaning substance in the dairy business.

So we'd have to get to a dairy farm, a vinyard and an electronics shop to get most stuff. That's going to be an interesting experience
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #35
Chuckc
User

I know you can get small quantities of chemicals from Lab Supply companies. Should have one of these in most large metro areas. Shipping of corrosive chemicals is expensive, even in 4 oz bottles.

I have some made up if anyone is interested. Unfortunately there is a $20.00 haz mat charge for domestic shipping and $60.00 for international. If this doesn't scare you off, let me know. My company is a known shipper and we can ship haz mat world-wide in the post 9/11 world.

But then again, a treasure hunt could be fun.

For those who are wondering why I would do this, the forum members saved me a lot of money. I owe them some favors.
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #36
Ron Smith
User

Gerben, Do we ask for "Udder Scrubber" or "Tit Dip" at the dairy?
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #37
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Chuck,
El Paso is a large metro area, but it is cosmopolitanly challenged. Goods and services are woefully underdeveloped. Therefore a treasure hunt here would be frustrating to say the least.
I would like to purchase a bit of your elixir. Please send me a PM with the particulars for ordering.
Thanks,
Ron
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #38
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Ron S,

Just ask for the stuff they use to make black patches on those white cows
Unread 01-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #39
Herb
User

All of those chemicals are available on the internet. Use Google and enter the chemical name followed by supply ie; nitric acid supply... I just checked, they are there and for sale, ain't cheap tho.
Unread 01-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #40
pipeman45
User

When I was just a young'un back on the farm.We used nitric acid to clean the milk cooler and milking machines. It was about the only thing that would remove milkstone. You might find it at a farm supply store.