LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
John -Melb
User

Default A Much Travelled MP40

I was doing some searching on the Net recently and came up with some very interesting info. According to the history of the 2/1 Bn AIF, one of the benefits of the initial issues of Owen guns to Australian troops in New Guinea was that Captain Sanderson could obtain 9mm ammunition for the Schmeisser Machine Pistol he had brought back from Crete!

This gun, if it exists today would have to be one of the most widely used MP40's (or possibly MP38's) around. Used by the Germans, possibly in Europe, definately on Crete. Probably used in North Africa by an Aussie officer, and used by that same officer in New Guinea.

Captain Alexander Sanderson 2/1 Inf Bn. AIF enlisted at Paddington, Sydney in October 1939 and was Killed in Action, aged 31 on the 23/10/42.

I wonder where his machine pistol ended up?
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

A needle in a haystack search, but a really interesting story John... was the serial number of the gun listed in the history you read? Maybe one of the fortunate legal machine gun owners in NZ or the US has this gun.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote