LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 01-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Default Promising M1906 Navy...

Reserve met in the bidding...looks like it is quite promising...noticed at least one NAPCA member who knows his luger stuff is bidding...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?item=43030389

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
it looks pretty good to me, considering the blurred pictures. Three days to go, watch the price skyrocket on the last day. I tried to make out the bottom of the mag but I couldn't quite make out that bottom character to tell if its a navy mag. I wish that the pictures were more clear. The grips look pretty good. The locking bolt looks like it might be nice and flat (not messed with). I will take a SWAG and say it will go between $4,000 and $4,500. After seeing Revshops 1900 or 1906 Ideal grips and stock go for $2900+, I don't rule out high prices anymore. Sure glad I have what I have.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

This one went for a just around $ 3,100.00...looks like someone may have snagged a good deal if the gun is original and authentic...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
yah, it sure surprised me. I saw the final bid too late to do anything about it. The statement about it being 85% buffaloed me. It looks like there could be some scratches on the frame beween the side plate and the thumb safety. Minor wear on the side plate. But not enough to justify the low price. But pictures don't tell everything. Lotsa people looking at it and 20 bids though. Oh well, I already have a 1st issue altered. So no heartbreak here.
Big Norm
Unread 02-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Tony S.
User

Well,
Here are some pics of the gun. After a thorough inspection and cleaning of the very old, hard, cruddy oil, the gun looks pretty good with the exception of the back strap. It seems that at one point in time, it was property marked. I am not sure how much of its value is lost for the grounding off. The marks are good, and numbered correctly. I compared it with my 2nd edition Navy and they are marked identically. The grips are matching as well. I was surprised how much the gun changed after a good cleaning. The bore did not look as good, not until I removed all the dirt from it. It is semi-shinny and with very sharp grooves. No pits at all. I only took a few pics, it is too cloudy for good pics.
Thanks Tony
â??SEMPER PARATUSâ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navy left.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	778  

Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Heinz
User

The old Gesichert appears to have been partially ground off. SOme residue of the old marking remains. The new Gesichert is in the Uppercase format. This is one variation. This variation is often stamped and not Pantographed. There appears to be some haloing? There also appears to be bluing in the letters. Tony can you confirm that? Does the Gesichert appear to be the product of a single stamp or was it the product of individual letter stamps?

My little area of research.

Thanks, Heinz
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Tony S.
User

I can still read the "Gesichert" with a 10X magnifier from where it was grounded off. The top one appears to be placed one letter a the time since the spacing and aligment are not all equal. I am not sure if there is bluing or just dark due to corrosion or something else. It is hard to tell.
Tony
Unread 02-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Tony S,
It looks like you did yourself proud. Is the mag a navy mag?
Big Norm
Unread 02-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Tony S.
User

No, the mag is an Erfurt mag. Now, I need to find one Navy mag for it. The finish of the gun looks better than the pics when you are looking at the gun as a whole. Thanks for your comments.
Tony
Unread 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Heinz
User

Tony, thanks for the info. I will update my table. If you drop me a private email with your email I will send you a copy.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote