LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 03-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #41
hayhugh
User

If I remember correctly you bid and won this gun at $1100.00. If you had paid the 3% credit card fee ($33.00) you could have received the gun within a week of the auction. That is the time I received my in the past. It is going to be almost a month since the auction. I don't think I could have the patience to wait that long to get my grubby hands on the gun!
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #42
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhugh View Post
If I remember correctly you bid and won this gun at $1100.00.
I'm still trying to figure out RIA's billing/accounts logic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves1900.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	47304  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #43
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

$33 isn't much difference in the overall financial load. Let's just say I'm frugal...and patient. I just wrote an email asking if it has shipped, so I expect news of some sort later today.

Rich, their breakdown is in preceding posts. $1100 + $165, then shipping, insurance, and "materials" to total $1310. The B.P. etc is less than I would have paid in gas to get to Rock Island and back.
Unread 03-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #44
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Update

I picked up the 1900 from the dealer yesterday. Those who suggested it were correct, it does look a bit better in-hand than in the auction pics. With what little time I had when I returned home, I was able to field strip and clean it pretty well, and wiped it down well with oil. Everything checked out in good structural shape, so, a little lithium grease applied to the rails, a drop of oil on each moving joint, and I loaded a single .30 Luger round that was on my desk into the mag, cycled it into the chamber just fine, and went out back to give it a go. Click. I had my suspicions about the firing pin spring-you'll see why when I post the pics--so tried again with a fresh, proper spring. Bang, she went! Ejection and hold-open functioned just fine. Whew!

Some features/issues. 1) The extractor seems twisted, and it kind of jiggles around in its moorings when the chamber is empty. I had judged it sound enough for a few shots, and it presented no problem. I'm looking for a replacement extractor now. 2) The right grip is loose, even under the screw, so I will remedy that. 3) No import marks! 4) Crown B and U proofed. 5) All numbers match, all appear righteous, except the firing pin--which 6) looks weird at its tip, is numbered "32" instead of "02", and is fluted sides and bottom. I'll show that in a pic when I post them. I think I'm also looking for a new/replacement 1900 firing pin, as they are a little different than the P.08s'.

Stay tuned...
Unread 03-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #45
hayhugh
User

All is well that ends well.... I am curious as to the fancy left grip - what is the white add-on? Any special significances'. Hugh
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #46
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hugh, the white thing on the left grip appears to be a silver plaque inlaid within an area relieved for it. It is held in by a kind of staple effect, with a post of the same material penetrating the grip through holes top and bottom, the ends of the posts are split and spread apart a bit. It does not show any signs of ever having been engraved.

I've had a rather busy weekend, so haven't taken the time for this one's photo shoot. Sometime this week, I think...
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #47
Douglas Jr.
User

Looking forward for your pictures and review.
Kind of favorite TV series season finale-feeling, you know?
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #48
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default First Two Home Pics

This is after a decent cleaning with oily 0000 steel wool, which removed quite a bit of active rust. I admit to polishing the tip of the safety bar. No way has this ever been refinished. Lines and corners and markings are crisp, albeit pitted. I'll get better lighting outdoors, these were taken with a 29 l.e.d. work light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1900 004.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	47595  

Name:	1900 005.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	47596  

Unread 03-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #49
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

Just a lovely gun. Those grips constitute a significant contribution to the value of the gun. If you ever want to part with them let me know! It might help with the restoration cost if you should so desire.
Ron
Unread 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #50
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, I wanted to ask you about those...notice how the checkered pattern is coarser on the left grip than the right? They're both convincingly numbered 02 on their backs. What's up with that?

Otherwise, this gun is really sweet. The sound and feel when it snaps into battery when chambering the first round strikes me as different than the later ones--like closing the door on a Rolls Royce--impressive and amazing! I can see now why you like the oldies so much.
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #51
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Ron, I wanted to ask you about those...
Ask Ron if he'll swap you for an original pair of 1900 grips without the inlaid plate...

Quote:
Otherwise, this gun is really sweet. The sound and feel when it snaps into battery when chambering the first round strikes me as different than the later ones--like closing the door on a Rolls Royce--impressive and amazing! I can see now why you like the oldies so much.
The tolerances are much tighter too. It didn't have to pass military trials [yet] so it was much more closely machined. The surface finish was much better too.

I like the 110+ year old patina on mine. Be sure you remove the safety lever and clean out the crud underneath it. Makes a world of difference in the safety 'staying put'.
Unread 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #52
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I think that that "old girl" looks just pretty spiffy!! I promise you that I won't look that good if I live to the age of that Luger. There is a lot to like on the 1900s. I think that you did just fine on this purchase.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #53
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

Dave,
Are you sure the left grip is checkered coarser than the right? It looks to me to be the same lines per inch but the right grip diamonds are a bit more flattened. Perhaps the left grip checkering was freshened up when the presentation plate was added?

"Closing the door on a Rolls Royce"...good analogy...the 1900 is a classic of workmanship in its own right.
Unread 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #54
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Although little to do with Dave's luger, I received an unexpected call about two 'shooter' 1911A1's from RIA.

I haggled a bit and got them for about $700 each shipped - one is obviously worth a bit more than the other. One is a Nickle plated, with all military markings gone from it and has antler / stag grips. - result, my wife likes it, the grips are very nice and probably worth a couple hundred by themselves, and the bore cleaned up nicely. Its a very tight 1911A1. With a nice Remington Rand marking on the left. I figure a shooter 45 goes for around $600-$750?
The second is a Remington Rand frame with an Ithaca slide. Although the sn range says its a Rem Rand frame and not an Ithaca, it has all the characteristics of a Ithaca, but they shared a lot of parts. So, I am assuming a mixmaster possible made up later. Barrel was much rougher, but I swapped it with a newer colt barrel. Finish was frosted with light pitting here and there and a slight orange color that today cleaned up very nicely. A well worn, but decent war-horse. I think if selling I could ask $1000-$1200 ?

On both purchases (Simson and these) I sent a personal / biz check. Received Simson in less than a week, and received these about 14 days after sending the check. Both were much quicker turnarounds than I have seen before, but they also have my credit card on file, so I assume they figure they could always charge it.

Anyway, prices are always more than I like at auction, and the descriptions on the regionals are so awful and vague that you can't go by the codes they suggest IMHO.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #55
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
... the descriptions on the regionals are so awful and vague that you can't go by the codes they suggest IMHO.
Ed, this one was certainly described all wrong. I think it may have actually helped me to win the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Dave,
Are you sure the left grip is checkered coarser than the right?...
Yes, they are different; to make sure, I just checked with the DemBart gauge: Left grip is 18 lpi, right is 20 lpi. Coincidentally, one of my '06 AEs, the shooter with the 6" bbl I had G.T. install, arrived with similar disparity of its grips. Since they weren't numbered, I went ahead and replaced the coarse one by swapping it and a few bucks for one with the finer pattern.
Unread 03-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #56
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Should have kept that grip. Then maybe you could have switched one grip from each gun...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2015, 03:54 AM   #57
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Should have kept that grip. Then maybe you could have switched one grip from each gun...
dju
One guy says to the other,"Hey, your socks don't match!" The other guy says, "Man, that is weird...I have another pair just like these at home."

Among my souvenirs is a pair of grips from a 1900, one of the things I bought from a gentleman in Argentina a couple of years ago. They're parked on a long frame '06 AE (fit like a glove) while I'm tending to its numbered left grip.

I'm going to live with the left grip as it is for a while.
Unread 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #58
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I just checked with the DemBart gauge...
Dave, I'm terrible with proper names of the tools I use...Is that a woodworking/checkering-specific tool??? I have several thread gauges, inch & Metric, and I can't get any kind of reading from them on grip checkering...

I was kind of interested in measuring the checkering on some of my Lugers & others. But with my thread gauges, I can't tell 18lpi from 20lpi...[just an example]...
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #59
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Rich, you'd line up the pattern with the scaled marks on the gauge for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	647085.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	47646  

Unread 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #60
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Just for S & G, peruse another auction offering that is incorrectly described here: https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...c-Pistol---FFL Wow, this one would be a step up!