LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-14-2022, 10:24 PM   #21
JTD
User

Super pistol, I would be proud to have it in my collection! thanks for the photo shoot. John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JTD for your post:
Unread 04-15-2022, 09:44 PM   #22
minigun
User

I agree that the super low serial number enhances the price. That, and the condition is also a major factor. This has both. Really nice pistol.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to minigun for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 12:21 AM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
The German Army purchased over 1.5 million Lugers from 1909 to 1942. To be in the first 100, IS the reason I bought it.
By that math, there were thirty-three # 98 Lugers (without suffix) made. How is that anything really rare???

I'm not disparaging your purchase; it seems very well preserved. I just can't see it being worth more than a comparable condition three or four digit number. There's going to be a no-suffix # 98 every year they were made.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
JTD
User

Not first issues.
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to JTD for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 10:10 AM   #25
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree while not “really rare” it won’t be common and for me while very low serial numbers could be interesting depending on the model I wouldn’t pay a premium for a Luger marked as such for that reason alone. The OP’s Luger has a lot going for it and the low number is a nice little extra something! I’m sure there are collectors out there that hunt for low serial numbers but I’m not one of them.
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #26
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb111 View Post
I agree while not “really rare” it won’t be common and for me while very low serial numbers could be interesting depending on the model I wouldn’t pay a premium for a Luger marked as such for that reason alone. The OP’s Luger has a lot going for it and the low number is a nice little extra something! I’m sure there are collectors out there that hunt for low serial numbers but I’m not one of them.
Jim
If a Luger P08 could be positively identified as the first ever year-1908 issue # 98 then I could see a collector with hundreds of Lugers (and there are several on this forum) paying more for a 'first hundred'. There was a guy here years ago collecting the same serial number across different years, for some reason.

But just because it is in the first hundred of a particular year (other than the year the Luger was first adopted by the army), I just can't see paying anything more...

But I'm sure there are gun-show hucksters asking more and convincing new Luger buyers that a low number is a rarity and you should buy it now...
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb111 View Post
Jim
If a Luger P08 could be positively identified as the first ever year-1908 issue # 98 then I could see a collector with hundreds of Lugers (and there are several on this forum) paying more for a 'first hundred'. There was a guy here years ago collecting the same serial number across different years, for some reason.

But just because it is in the first hundred of a particular year (other than the year the Luger was first adopted by the army), I just can't see paying anything more...

But I'm sure there are gun-show hucksters asking more and convincing new Luger buyers that a low number is a rarity and you should buy it now...

I do happen to like this Luger but because it has a nice clean bore, unlike the sewer pipes I usually buy...
Unread 04-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #28
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I agree with JTD. The 1st Issue Number 98 ns is one of the first 100 Lugers adopted by the German Army. The rest of those "thirty-three" Number 98 ns Lugers has a specific year chamber stamp. That sounds pretty "positively identified" to me.
Unread 04-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #29
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default It's all about perception!

Hi to all! It's all a matter of perception, or lack of it? Most Lugers, regardless of, "born on date" look the same. Most couldn't tell you who made it much less when it was made, or in what order? We know, so it is obvious to us it is rare and unusual, but again, not to all, or even most as it plays out. P.38's don't have that problem, the first ones were Walther zero series and are distinctly different from the rest of production! PP's and PPK's and we are right back to just numbers being different, and again, most don't know or care until they are enlightened right after an impulse sale at a gun show.
I really like early guns, so I'm a little subjective when it comes to numbers. Again, super nice unit, a collection unto itself! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #30
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Young View Post
The rest of those "thirty-three" Number 98 ns Lugers has a specific year chamber stamp.
Do they??? Maybe they did originally, but over the years they could have received replacement parts; new barrel, different barrel extension, etc.

I like lively discussions. I'm always happy to play devil's advocate.
Unread 04-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #31
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Whatever...............................
Unread 04-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #32
minigun
User

It’s condition AND one of the first 100 that made this one worth more. In my opinion.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to minigun for your post:
Unread 04-18-2022, 11:51 PM   #33
MFC
User

If it were a 1910 #98, 1911 #98 etc., I might admire it, but I wouldn't have bought and paid the same premium for it. IMO it's not in the same ballpark.

Have you seen the HUGE premiums Colt collectors pay for an early revolver with a 2 or 3 digit S#?

To each his own I guess.
Unread 04-19-2022, 03:52 AM   #34
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

I wonder if the same controversies about numbers would also rage if we counted in base 13. Seriously, our species is generally innumerate. Society seems unable to handle numerical perspectives on not much more than an emotional basis. We have immense trouble relating to immense numbers, distances, and time frames. We think things are less likely/coincidental than they actually are.

Oh. There's a good book about it. https://www.amazon.com/Innumeracy-Ma...s%2C208&sr=8-1