LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 09-19-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Post Russian Rework Question

Guys,

Some help here, this Russian rework has a unit marking on the grip. Are we looking at a WWI frame with a WWII top end? I didn't think there were many WWII unit marked P08's....

All numbers on the small parts are either renumbered or original numbers including the firing pin.

Recruiting Depot of an Infantry Regiment????

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Mark, I would say your theory is correct! If the chamber date is 1939 and the toggle is an S/42, only N thru Q Blocks were produced. If one assumes the top end is from the same pistol, then the frame is from a different one. The unit markings hint of a WWI Luger, but off-hand I can't identify them, without some additional research.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
The slash in the unit mark is indicitave of a Weimar Army mark. I'm not sufficiently kowledgable about these to go further, however.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Interesting grips... I have a dip re blued S/42 shooter that is the only other pistol I've seen with those exact grips. I always presumed they were either East German or Russian in origin. any comments from the group?
Tim
The intent of the second amendment was not to allow the private ownership of firearms. If it had been it would have said something like "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
The unit marking is Weimar period as Dwight observed. It is Reichswehr and indicates 4th Eskdron, 5th Reiter-Regiment, Waffen number 52.

It's a shame that it is a parts gun as Reichswehr unit markings are the rarest of of such markings due to its restricted size.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
MarkC
User

Thanks George, great info!

Tim,

The grips on my guns are Russian. The East German grips are brown or black plastic with a "bullseye" in the center. I bought the gun with "Black Widow" grips on it and decided to put on the Russian grips since it is a Russian rework. Besides the Black Widow grips are too valuable to put on a shooter.

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mark, In addition to the black verticle grooved grips shown, the Russian also manufactured checkered black "BW" type grips, but the checkering is courser and they don't have the threaded hole inside. TH
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts
Hi,

An illustration of the grips with and without pistol attached:

These grips bear a resemblance to those used on the Russian Tokarev pistols and indeed differ from the East-German 'VoPo' bullseye grips.

Usually they require some fitting to get a really snug fit, but they provide a good grip and are currently my favorite shooting grips.

I believe these grips were used on P08s that saw service in CCCP-states and that the other, much cheaper-looking black grips commonly found on ex-Russian capture pistols were only made in order to sell the pistols off with grips on them, as the original wooden grips had been discarded before pistol storage/preservation.

Of course the VoPo grips have a completely different history and are illustrated in 1960's Eastern-German manuals:

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote