LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-09-2001, 05:28 AM   #1
Joe D.

Default Registering Grandpa's Luger

Hi there, I just came into possession of my grandfathers Luger. I live in California, and does anybody know how I would go about registering this thing. It's never been registered, and it has the Nazi eagle and swastika stamped on it.

It's an "S/42" if that is any help.

Appreciate the help

_Joe

Unread 08-09-2001, 06:03 AM   #2
Luke
User

Default Is that a REQUIREMENT in California? (EOM)

Unread 08-09-2001, 09:52 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Unless someone from California who knows pipes in here...

The best advice I can offer you is to contact the California Department of Justice anonymously (not from your home or office phone) and ask them. That is the agency you will have to please.

Heaven forbid, but it may be entirely possible that your inherited possession is illegal in Kalifornia and you may have to surrender the weapon for destruction! Never been registered there? that's a tough call. CAL DOJ is your best bet. Not some local police officer, call the DOJ directly, or you may find the info on their website...

Perhaps the weapon is out of state? and you are inquiring how to import it into Kalifornia legally? Same advice as above.

You could always rent some storage in Nevada and keep it there!

Good Luck!

-John

Unread 08-09-2001, 01:18 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default Joe D, look in the profiles...

And find the name of Milt Keller. Get his email from the profile, and email him. He lives in CA, and I'm sure he can help you with this.

And welcome to the Luger Forum, please come back.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 08-09-2001, 03:11 PM   #5
Martin

Default OK, here's what you want to know

Technically, there can be no person to person private transfer of any firearm in CA unless the transfer takes place through an FFL dealer. The law requires you to take the gun to a local dealer, fill out the paperwork, and have the dealer send the application to the CA Department of Justice. They will charge about $14 for the transfer and the dealer will charge anywhere from $25 to $35 for his trouble. The dealer then puts the gun in his safe. If all goes well, and you have no criminal record or even an unpaid traffic ticket, ten days later the dealer will return the gun to you. This law only went into effect a few years ago, and any private transfers which took place before that are perfectly legal. Now think carefully. Are you absolutely sure your grandpa didn't give you the Luger about five years ago?

Unread 08-10-2001, 07:26 AM   #6
tom h

Default Re: Registering Grandpa's Luger

Joe, You can take Grandpa's luger into your local police station and they will enter it into their data base at no charge, but if it ever was reported as stolden, they will want to keep it. Just make sure that they enter the correct FULL description: P08, year on chamber, manufacturer (S/42 for Mauser) and the FULL serial number including suffix letter. Any Calif tranfer dealer can also do this by filling out a DROS for you for $25, but if you don't qualify to own it, he won't give it back to you. So since Registration is NOT mandatory in Calif, why bother. Tom

Unread 08-10-2001, 08:36 PM   #7
BILL
User

Default Maybe it's just me..

..but I prefer guns without 'paper'. It's not about the children, even though Oprah wants you to think so.